Official Picture Entry Thread for BC Bonfire Grow-Out Contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my January entry. Getting good growth and the color is starting to come back on the tips.
76065A0B-DD1A-4477-BA19-DEAC3FCB3623.jpeg
Nice job @chopper320 , if you don’t mind me asking, what’s the par level that you have it at and your nutrients !

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job @chopper320 , if you don’t mind me asking, what’s the par level that you have it at and your nutrients !
Thanks Marco! I honestly don’t measure the par but I just recently moved it to higher light. It’s sitting 2/3 of the way up with AI Hydra 26 HDs running the AB+ program about 10” above the water.
My nutrients have been a little out of whack which is why I think it hasn’t had the color I want lately. I’ve been improving them though. I like to keep my nitrates between 10-20ppm but recently they were at zero. My phosphates are at .03 which is a little higher than I like.

To correct my levels, I’ve been running a small amount of gfo in a reactor and feeding a little heavier. I have my nitrates to about 5ppm now and the colors are starting to look better.

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Marco! I honestly don’t measure the par but I just recently moved it to higher light. It’s sitting 2/3 of the way up with AI Hydra 26 HDs running the AB+ program about 10” above the water.
My nutrients have been a little out of whack which is why I think it hasn’t had the color I want lately. I’ve been improving them though. I like to keep my nitrates between 10-20ppm but recently they were at zero. My phosphates are at .03 which is a little higher than I like.

To correct my levels, I’ve been running a small amount of gfo in a reactor and feeding a little heavier. I have my nitrates to about 5ppm now and the colors are starting to look better.
I actually have been opposite of you, I have been trying to lower my nutrients, sitting at around 5-7 N03 and 0.05 P04 . I have the Bonefire sitting at max peak of 500 par for about 4 hours then only blue channel’s at 100% till 9pm ramping down at 10pm. I run a 15 hour light cycle . Thank You for your input Bro.

tuba_mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 16th picture update and also the last.

picture below, the bonfire hasn’t been doing very well since moving house in late August, started seeing tissue recession in November-ish (bonfire and few other acros) , changed Rodi sediment, carbon and Di. Also no detectable nitrates in my system, brought them up. Bonfire recession seemed to slow down… yesterday it has shed most of the Zooxanthellae. As I said I’ve seen this happen with a few other acros, but some acros have only been growing since the move… so I thought it might end this way.
Best of luck to everyone else!

19B13377-6360-40AC-9337-61CAE7AC5C8D.jpeg

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

picture below, the bonfire hasn’t been doing very well since moving house in late August, started seeing tissue recession in November-ish (bonfire and few other acros) , changed Rodi sediment, carbon and Di. Also no detectable nitrates in my system, brought them up. Bonfire recession seemed to slow down… yesterday it has shed most of the Zooxanthellae. As I said I’ve seen this happen with a few other acros, but some acros have only been growing since the move… so I thought it might end this way.

Sounds like something Bacterial, I am currently going through something similar ! I read a thread from AquaBiomics here on R2R , and he talks about dosing Cipro to the system. So that is what I have done, seems to have helped. I have done the in tank treatment now twice and it definitely has stopped any TN issues .

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry Tuba. I know your pain.

Tank moves can be very noisy. The checklist for success includes so many nuances, it is hard to account for them all. Hopefully it settles soon for you.

tuba_mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like something Bacterial, I am currently going through something similar ! I read a thread from AquaBiomics here on R2R , and he talks about dosing Cipro to the system. So that is what I have done, seems to have helped. I have done the in tank treatment now twice and it definitely has stopped any TN issues .
I started dosing eco-balance a month ago, seemed to slow other acro recession. The acros that were cool after the move started coloring up!

tuba_mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Tuba. I know your pain.

Tank moves can be very noisy. The checklist for success includes so many nuances, it is hard to account for them all. Hopefully it settles soon for you.
Appreciate the sentiment, but no need to be sorry!

90% of my corals that are not pictured in this thread are doing fantastic!

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing eco-balance a month ago, seemed to slow other acro recession. The acros that were cool after the move started coloring up!
Good move, I forgot to mention that I am also dosing once a week the eco-balance. It seems to lower N03 and P04 pretty fast, so I am taking slowly. Glad to hear that your system is doing better and the corals are coloring back up .

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
January entry, almost lost her due to a bad batch of Tropic Marine Pro salt, first time using it because all of the hype, and this happens ! It what it is, major set back but she is still alive !
C84479C3-C365-4A92-923C-434F6C3BC96D.jpeg
1237E6AD-AD51-4F22-920A-37DC043E7D6D.jpeg
I got lucky last year when tropic marine was out of stock. I switched to HW Reefer. So glad I did seeing all the posts like this. Glad you could save it. Hopefully you didn’t have any losses.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using TM pro Turkey salt without an issue.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January entry, almost lost her due to a bad batch of Tropic Marine Pro salt, first time using it because all of the hype, and this happens ! It what it is, major set back but she is still alive !
C84479C3-C365-4A92-923C-434F6C3BC96D.jpeg
1237E6AD-AD51-4F22-920A-37DC043E7D6D.jpeg
I still think you win "Best Encruster".

I am firmly (at present, anyway) in first place for the "CaRx Media Award".

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back