Official Picture Entry Thread for BC Bonfire Grow-Out Contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky last year when tropic marine was out of stock. I switched to HW Reefer. So glad I did seeing all the posts like this. Glad you could save it. Hopefully you didn’t have any losses.
I have had losses after starting to use the TMP salt ! I couldn’t figure out what was happening as parameters checked good, I thought that it was a bacterial issue, so I dosed Cipro to the tank in relation to the AquaBiomics post. TN seemed to stop and corals started looking good again, until I did another WC, then the same thing started happening. Then I started reading all the posts about the TMP salt issues, smacking my head ! I use to use the HW and liked it a lot, but the last batch that I used didn’t mix clear as it always did and that’s when I switched over , wish I never did. Now I am at the deciding what salt to use again ! Yesterday I put activated carbon in the tank before my friend came over to take the monthly picture (because I am a terrible photographer, Lol) and the corals seemed to have responded good to it, so there was definitely something in water that they didn’t like. Hope that this helps anyone having issues and Happy Reefing.

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had losses after starting to use the TMP salt ! I couldn’t figure out what was happening as parameters checked good, I thought that it was a bacterial issue, so I dosed Cipro to the tank in relation to the AquaBiomics post. TN seemed to stop and corals started looking good again, until I did another WC, then the same thing started happening. Then I started reading all the posts about the TMP salt issues, smacking my head ! I use to use the HW and liked it a lot, but the last batch that I used didn’t mix clear as it always did and that’s when I switched over , wish I never did. Now I am at the deciding what salt to use again ! Yesterday I put activated carbon in the tank before my friend came over to take the monthly picture (because I am a terrible photographer, Lol) and the corals seemed to have responded good to it, so there was definitely something in water that they didn’t like. Hope that this helps anyone having issues and Happy Reefing.
I forgot to mention that my skimmer had also been working harder than usual, I noticed that I had to empty out the cup every 2-3 days instead of once a week. I don’t think that is coincidental as I haven’t changed my feeding regimen.

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think you win "Best Encruster".

I am firmly (at present, anyway) in first place for the "CaRx Media Award".
Thank You Bro, but I think that @Biggestfish is in the lead with all his corals branching , I don’t know how this contest is going to be judged !

I do have a couple of question’s for you because I am also running a CaRX !
What is your PH at ?
And are you doing anything to help raise it ?
My PH is at max 8 in the day and drops to 7.6 at night. The best readings that I have from manually testing because I don’t have any sophisticated technology (Lol) but it really hovers around 7.8 to 7.6 and I don’t like those numbers !
I run a outside air line directly to the skimmer pump and the effluent line to the head of the skimmer pump. I have a refugium running 16 hours. My next move is to probably dose Kalkwasser, Ugh, dosing was the reason why I switched over to the CaRX . Maybe you can shed some light on my situation :)

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using TM pro Turkey salt without an issue.
Happy to hear that you haven’t had an issue with it, maybe it’s the luck of the draw ! I live in Key West and we have a very small community of good reefers, we all try to use the same salt in case of emergencies, and I have noticed it now with 3 different tanks that we all have had TN issues . I don’t think that this is coincidental ! Maybe you always run activated carbon and that has kept you at bay using this salt brand. I am not one too try to smear any company when I have a problem, but I really do believe that this batch of salt from Turkey has had issues, too many people complaining about it, but that’s just my 2 cents Bro !

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious. Is your TM pro made in Germany or Turkey? It'll say so on the box or pail.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to hear that you haven’t had an issue with it, maybe it’s the luck of the draw ! I live in Key West and we have a very small community of good reefers, we all try to use the same salt in case of emergencies, and I have noticed it now with 3 different tanks that we all have had TN issues . I don’t think that this is coincidental ! Maybe you always run activated carbon and that has kept you at bay using this salt brand. I am not one too try to smear any company when I have a problem, but I really do believe that this batch of salt from Turkey has had issues, too many people complaining about it, but that’s just my 2 cents Bro !
I never use carbon.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done two water changes with it and added it to my auto top off to raise SG a few times.
Nothing detrimental yet. It seems some people are having issues and others aren't.
I'm sorry to hear you were one of the ones with issues. But also glad you found the problem.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine from saltwater aquarium. How about you?

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, because BRS was out . I bought like 2 months ago, late November or early December. I’ll add, that all 3 of us that switched over that are having issues bought within a week of each other from Saltwater Aquarium.
I forgot to add as well @Scdell , all of the buckets are plastic handle from Turkey .

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scdell one of the 3 reefers that I mentioned above just sent me this.
70554E43-7CCD-4A1E-8EE9-573762CDFBDB.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has been cool to watch. I got one right around the same time but not part of the contest. Interesting to watch how everyone’s goes and colors up.
And I thought I was the only one. I've been following along the whole time and comparing the growth of my bonfire that I got not too long after the contest started.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add as well @Scdell , all of the buckets are plastic handle from Turkey .
We'll see where this goes I guess. Luckily I have no issues whatsoever. I've been keeping a close eye on things. I saw a thread on here yesterday where someone addressed BRS about it.
They said they only have TM Pro from Germany in stock.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Way to many people having the same issues with that salt. I believe it’s the salt also. Glad your corals are on the mend.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to many people having the same issues with that salt. I believe it’s the salt also. Glad your corals are on the mend.
There is a thread on here where TM admitted to some clay contamination in their pro salt from Turkey. Although they also said it shouldn't cause any issue with live stock.

Back