Official R2R RAP Texas Photo Thread! Post 'em up!!

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting some great deals I think. I will try and get a couple of pics on Monday or Tuesday. My son picked up a few things, also. I mainly bought from the same vendors that I always do at the other swaps.
I got there at 3pm and there wasn't much of a crowd. One of the vendors said he thought the Sunday crowd was almost as good as Saturday. I was surprised that some of the booths were already empty, though those may have just been the ones that never sold to a vendor. I do know that a lot of the vendors were packing up by 4pm. Most said they had flights they had to catch. Most of them were packed by 5pm so anyone getting there after 4 didn't have much to look at.

I hope it was big enough success that they do it again next year. They need to have a civil conversation with the Aquashella show and make sure they are not on the same weekend. They also probably should be farther apart time wise. One in the spring and one in the fall. Personally I prefer Aquashella but I'm also into freshwater so I really like having both at a show. I also wish they had more fish but I know that vendors don't want to deal with shipping them to the show so that is left to the local vendors. That is one good thing about the CA shows, from the pics I've seen they have a lot more fish available at the show.

I was surprised that my welcome bag and my sons both had t-shirts in them. I had not heard it mentioned you would get something like that with just the $30 day pass.
That’s cool that you were able to snag what was left. Sounds like a ghost town for Sunday. You are right about aquashella, they should discuss show options. Especially them being two major shows. I have never been to aquashella and this was my first time to Reefapalooza. I would definitely go again if they had it next year. I’ll tell you, another really good one is Reef Currents in Houston. There should be a date coming soon. Sad to say, but I think COVID plus economy woes have kept the crowds going from good to great. Make sure you show off some pics of what you got. I’m going to show some when I update my build thread.

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may not look happy in this pic, but in my defense, I was still recovering from a fun night at the hotel bar with all the vendors. :cool: This was my first time to attend an aquarium show and I will definitely do more of them. Meeting everyone face to face was awesome!

rsumner-reefapalooza-2022-texas.jpg

Mr. Gonzalez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my first Reefapalooza! It was so great meeting so many of you in person! After 16 years in this hobby I still enjoy coming to shows and networking.
Was awesome to meet your dog and you, and so many others. Had a blast.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s cool that you were able to snag what was left. Sounds like a ghost town for Sunday. You are right about aquashella, they should discuss show options. Especially them being two major shows. I have never been to aquashella and this was my first time to Reefapalooza. I would definitely go again if they had it next year. I’ll tell you, another really good one is Reef Currents in Houston. There should be a date coming soon. Sad to say, but I think COVID plus economy woes have kept the crowds going from good to great. Make sure you show off some pics of what you got. I’m going to show some when I update my build thread.
I actually drove down to Reef Currents a few years back. It was the one that they actually got Jason Fox to speak at. I had thought about going when they started back up after Covid but I didn't want to go that far into Houston. The traffic nightmare that is DFW is enough for me. If it was still held north of Houston I would definitely think hard about going to it again.

I honestly wish I knew why they moved RAP from Chicago. I would think they would get the crowds there.

I was glad to see Austin Aqua Farm at the show. They had been to one of our swaps several years back and they have some really nice stuff at fairly good prices.

Question: were their t-shirts in the welcome bags they were handing out on Saturday? I was really surprised when I opened it and there was a t-shirt. Of course I'm not a skinny guy so there is no way I can fit in the large that was in the bag. Looking at the ticket list online I didn't think the normal $30 entrance was supposed to get anything like that.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually drove down to Reef Currents a few years back. It was the one that they actually got Jason Fox to speak at. I had thought about going when they started back up after Covid but I didn't want to go that far into Houston. The traffic nightmare that is DFW is enough for me. If it was still held north of Houston I would definitely think hard about going to it again.

I honestly wish I knew why they moved RAP from Chicago. I would think they would get the crowds there.

I was glad to see Austin Aqua Farm at the show. They had been to one of our swaps several years back and they have some really nice stuff at fairly good prices.

Question: were their t-shirts in the welcome bags they were handing out on Saturday? I was really surprised when I opened it and there was a t-shirt. Of course I'm not a skinny guy so there is no way I can fit in the large that was in the bag. Looking at the ticket list online I didn't think the normal $30 entrance was supposed to get anything like that.
Oh nice, I would love to hear Jason Fox talk reefing. That must have been a cool exp.

To answer your question, yes there was a shirt in the welcome bag. Apparently they are different sizes. My daughter had a medium and mine was XL. We didn’t get to choose, they just handed them to us. I gave her mine too because it sure wasn’t goi g to fit haha. Pretty cool that they were in there though. I was more excited about the stickers and reef roids samples. I like to use those sparingly when my phosphates get low.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was such a show in my area..
That looks like soooo much fun

enjoy guys! im a bit jealous :)

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice, I would love to hear Jason Fox talk reefing. That must have been a cool exp.

To answer your question, yes there was a shirt in the welcome bag. Apparently they are different sizes. My daughter had a medium and mine was XL. We didn’t get to choose, they just handed them to us. I gave her mine too because it sure wasn’t goi g to fit haha. Pretty cool that they were in there though. I was more excited about the stickers and reef roids samples. I like to use those sparingly when my phosphates get low.
Good to know about the shirts. I personally think it would be better to ask shirt size but I know that would require more man power and slow things down. I just hate to think of all the shirts that were given out that wouldn't fit the recipient.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great pics and thanks everyone for posting.
Not to rant but this confirms how DISAPPOINTING MACNA was . I see Aquashella had a fantastic turnout and group of vendors

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here are a couple of the things I picked up. Most were zoas and can't get a good pic of any of those. Really wanted one of the crocea clams that clam mania had but I wasn't willing to pay $240 for a 1 1/2 inch clam.

Attachments

• torch 2.jpg
    torch 2.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 33
  • clam.jpg
    clam.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 31
  • torch 1.jpg
    torch 1.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 24

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here are a couple of the things I picked up. Most were zoas and can't get a good pic of any of those. Really wanted one of the crocea clams that clam mania had but I wasn't willing to pay $240 for a 1 1/2 inch clam.
Nice pickups! We literally bought the exact same things...
1665527181342.png

I think I got the bigger one ;)

also got some zoas...

and a couple gonis

didn't get the chance to get good photos of everything, those will be incoming...

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
1665527181342.png

also got some zoas...

and a couple gonis

didn't get the chance to get good photos of everything, those will be incoming...
Did you stop by the RIptide booth and say hi?!?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1665527181342.png

also got some zoas...

and a couple gonis

It looks that way. I think I saw that goni and almost asked about it. Who did you get the clam from? I got mine from Popcorals. Like I said, I really wanted one of the croceas but wasn't willing to pay that much for one. Wish some of the LFS would get the ora clams like that. Most go with the other breeders for their stuff instead of ORA. I got the torch for $150. When they told me that price I couldn't get my wallet out quick enough.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you stop by the RIptide booth and say hi?!?
Unfortunately, I did not. I already hit my spending limit and decided it was better to not keep looking lol...

It looks that way. I think I saw that goni and almost asked about it. Who did you get the clam from? I got mine from Popcorals. Like I said, I really wanted one of the croceas but wasn't willing to pay that much for one. Wish some of the LFS would get the ora clams like that. Most go with the other breeders for their stuff instead of ORA. I got the torch for $150. When they told me that price I couldn't get my wallet out quick enough.
I honestly don't remember where I got the clam from... I think popcorals? I paid a little less for the torch and was tempted to pick yours up too at that price. But I thought it was better to not be greedy, so I am glad you were able to pick it up! The goni I paid $75, which I thought was a steal... but I got another yellow goni for $65 from the Torch lady that I am in love with. It is easily the brightest thing I have in my tank.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are a few reels from RAP Texas! Enjoy!!

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back