boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I too am ordering a 525XL. Am I correct in that I don't see any holes factory drilled in the back glass? I refuse to order one unless I can get one with no holes drilled. I'll be starting a build thread soon. Looking good so far!!

OP
OP
Salty-Sailor

Salty-Sailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I too am ordering a 525XL. Am I correct in that I don't see any holes factory drilled in the back glass? I refuse to order one unless I can get one with no holes drilled. I'll be starting a build thread soon. Looking good so far!!
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by holes in back Glass? I purchased through Top Shelf Aquatics, an authorized dealer and my LFS/Coral Geniuses .

OP
OP
Salty-Sailor

Salty-Sailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the back of the Tank. Ignore small black rectangle as it is a frag rack magnet i was testing when i took a picture.
image1.JPG

OP
OP
Salty-Sailor

Salty-Sailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They started drilling holes in the back glass of the Reefer series to accommodate the Deluxe versions which come with lights. The holes are mounting points for those lights. There is a discussion about it on here that I have been following.
https://www.reef2reef.com/posts/3746149/
ahhhh I see now what your saying! I defiantly would be very upset if those were on my tank! defiantly stands out if your not using those lights.

OP
OP
Salty-Sailor

Salty-Sailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing i will add as well, there was a relatively small scuff on one of the doors on the outside that was definitely noticeable that was that way straight out of the box.
emailed Red Sea some pictures and all the info and they are shipping me a new door immediately! topnotch service on they're part!
image2.JPG
image1 - Copy.JPG

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you before the XXL sumps were announced. I was considering just selling the red sea sump for a couple hundred bucks and putting that toward a trigger systems sump. Now it's the XXL is only a bit more for more real estate and a better sump. good luck with your choices!

OP
OP
Salty-Sailor

Salty-Sailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you before the XXL sumps were announced. I was considering just selling the red sea sump for a couple hundred bucks and putting that toward a trigger systems sump. Now it's the XXL is only a bit more for more real estate and a better sump. good luck with your choices!
Thanks! so far it really looks like enough room but still considering my options for the fuge. not sure if i like the fuge being in front of all my reactors and skimmer as far as looks and maintenance. Maybe display fuge behind tank or tucked behind control board that will have all my electronics consolidated.

OP
OP
Salty-Sailor

Salty-Sailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test fitting fuge light in front of sump as if i had a divider like the reef dreams fuge baffle and see if i think it will be in the way of maintenance or take away from the tank aesthetically.

please let me know what you all think when i post pictures. Thanks.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...still considering my options for the fuge.
Welcome to the 525 club! ;-)

Take a look at my build thread re: fuge. I've gone through several designs over the past year and tried to point out the pros/cons of each design. You can also see where I ended up; which is a kind of hybrid of what you are thinking about. The key, really, is figuring out your ATO solution. If you don't need the 10gal built-in ATO, you have more options. I would suggest putting the ATO reservoir outside the sump before I would the fuge, btw.

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you just looking to run chaeto or other macro algae in the fuge? you could always build a small Chaeto reactor for that instead of running it in sump. I had originally thought about doing that when I was looking at a 525. I am planning on ordering a 625XXL with the newer sump so I have kinda abandoned that idea, but you can make your own for about $125 bucks or so. Marine Depot actually has a video on building it with parts they sell. There are also a bunch of commercially made ones out and coming soon.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks really good.

Is the light mounted to the roof of the sump area? Can you post a pic of that?
I'm thinking of changing my fuge light mount to something similar.

OP
OP
Salty-Sailor

Salty-Sailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks really good.

Is the light mounted to the roof of the sump area? Can you post a pic of that?
I'm thinking of changing my fuge light mount to something similar.
Thanks!

Unfortunately it is just Jerry-rigged with zip-ties to the hard plumbing, just to show an idea of how it would be with the light there if i decide to put fuge there. i dont think it could stay the way i did it long term. i haven't come up with a perfect mounting solution just yet but if i do i will let you know in this thread and vice versa please :)

OP
OP
Salty-Sailor

Salty-Sailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the replacement Door for the 525xl and it was very well boxed and shipped.

Unfortunately they sent me a white door...

Anyone like the Dalmatian look? lol

bcce158ec4417e1560591ce4bbbd469b.jpg
3a38b9a7b8d64fd387dd92684319b1ea.jpg
04db9f27acaf44027d4f7223a78af934.jpg
acbf0f464dd2fe76a96e8fc31ba87276.jpg
42b75ac1adc4fea7b4f4fba6dedc589c.jpg
8adf5f487d6925114d1bbd2bfb26727e.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back