oh boy, 40g breeder build

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api test kits are not bad per se, they have a limited range compared to other test kits and you have to be super accurate as far as your testing procedures.

They are good for ball park readings except for their ammonia test.

All out test kits are hobby grade so don't get too caught up in their accuracy. You are looking for trends and stability over exact numbers.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been lumbering on this whole time. Algae is getting under control. What I am fighting against is turf algae and a coarse red algae. This red algae is very stringy (grows very thinly) but comes off very easy with a tooth brush. The turf algae holds on quite well. I have some fw planted tongs, I rip it off with those. During both I'm scrubbing/tonging with one hand and sucking water out with the other.

The GFO and weekly water changes (at this point the WC is for algae removal, and it's not growing back like it was). There is coralline everywhere in my sump, and in many places in the DT.

The bad news. I set my heaters wrong (d'oh) and the basement warmed up enough for them to send the tank up to 86. This killed the acan and the cleaner shrimp :(. Then two weeks after that mama clown jumped out :((.

Tank now has a mesh cover, heaters are set correctly. Acan has been replaced with some green zoas and a beat up favia (or something) i got for cheap from the LFS.

I am netting the 3 PJ's to trade in to the LFS tomorrow for $21. Not sure what fish I will get in return.

@neilp2006 is going to let me purchase a large GSP and a smol green fungia in the coming weeks. @DiefsReef was able to point me to the local ATL reef forum website, where members sell things (often for good or great prices) all the time. In the coming two months I will be pumping the life up in this tank. Finally!

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, i broke down and ordered vibrant lol.

There's too much GD turf algae in this GD tank!
samuel jackson GIF by hero0fwar

It is mainly on one rock, but it is also the main rock :mad:

Overall, algae issues have really improved. Now I'm on the path for a great looking tank.

I have an encrusting SPS and an acan today. About $30 for those two after trading in my 3 PJ's. I want to get 3x bangaii's next. But may get a baby tang or two (tang gang). Don't worry TP, they would be smol, and I would trade in or sell locally in a year or two.

I will take some moar pictures tomorrow after my weekly maintenance. Or perhaps sunday after the dust has settled

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, i broke down and ordered vibrant lol.

There's too much GD turf algae in this GD tank!
samuel jackson GIF by hero0fwar

It is mainly on one rock, but it is also the main rock :mad:

Overall, algae issues have really improved. Now I'm on the path for a great looking tank.

I have an encrusting SPS and an acan today. About $30 for those two after trading in my 3 PJ's. I want to get 3x bangaii's next. But may get a baby tang or two (tang gang). Don't worry TP, they would be smol, and I would trade in or sell locally in a year or two.

I will take some moar pictures tomorrow after my weekly maintenance. Or perhaps sunday after the dust has settled
Which store did you trade at?

Start with a half dose of vibrant for the first two weeks, but space them 5 days apart instead of 7. Then full dose at 7 day intervals. Your Turf algae should start breaking down around week 5-6. It might not turn white- mine just became REALLY easy to blast off with a baster. I was dealing with chrysophytes at the same time and that also disappeared with the vibrant in conjunction with dosing nitrate and phosphate.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I traded at Nemo's. Simon is the guy who decides trades. They had PJ's for sale for $15, but mine were 2-3x larger than those.

Noted on the vibrant.

djstud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's alive!!
bmCK16M.jpg

The jebao is whisper quiet. I have it on 85%.

What sort bracket do I need to mount this DJA power strip? It's set up to mount in a rack.
5I1tIYL.jpg

Once power strip is mounted it's getting SW!
Enjoying the 40B build. I used 2 of these power strips. Built a wooden box and mouted to the outside of the stand on my 75G build. Definitely great not having to run down cords, just flip a switch.

Attachments

• Control Box.jpg
    Control Box.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I love the dj switch.

Post vibrant I'm going to go with phytoplankton, if the vibrant is unsuccessful. I want to try my hand at growing it as well

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a BIG cleaning tonight. I came up with a new strategy for this weekly maintenance. I vacuumed the sand until I filled one 5g bucket with nasty water. Then I removed the 4 worst looking rocks and scrubbed the **** out them.

During this process I removed a 10" worm! And I found a beautiful black and white stripped brittle starfish that is about 5" big. I also found my conch, which I was worried because I hadn't seen him in some time. I vacuumed him up during the sandbed cleaning, sorry mate! He has since poked his eye back out to let me know he's okay.

I also razor bladed the glass and took some glass cleaner to it. Tomorrow I will change out the GFO. Algae growth has slowed way down, so I am hoping with this change and vibrant starting on Monday, the nasty algae is behind for this tank.

There are now 9 coral frags, with 1 colony sized GSP and frag sized green fungia on the way, as well as more of something from the local forum. This should be enough to keep the algae from popping back. We shall see though.

I am calling my LFS tomorrow to see if they have 2 banggai's (cardinals) left in stock. Does anyone know how to sex them? Are they like clowns, where one will change into the female? I really want to get two that will eventually end up a mated pair. #reefsquad and @fishguy242 you seem to know a lot of random reef facts, do you know about banggai's?

Pics coming in tomorrow when everything isn't PO'd at me.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi clowns ,kinda, benggai's, not so much... :) @F i s h y ??

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi clowns ,kinda, benggai's, not so much... :) @F i s h y ??
It is very difficult to sex Bangaii Cardinalfish until they are grown. There are differences in jaw structure and the vents of the fish that are near impossible to tell the difference in until they are around 6 to 8 months old minimum. I have always just purchased 4 or 5 and waited to get a pair to form. This last time I was lucky. I bought 4 and got to pairs. My dominant pair has bred once, and I expect the next batch of eggs soon.

Back to the original question:
Males have a blocked jawline and look kind of like a bulldog from the side and front. The females have a much smoother transition to their jawline.

After feeding the vents, are more visible. A male will have 2 and a female 1. They are very small and you will not be able to readily see them unless they have just eaten a large meal.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Fishy. I also googled it and rec'd buying in groups of 3. Once they pair off they will be aggressive to the not paired and then you remove that one.

Best bet here may to be order some online, since they are captive bred pretty easily.

My YWG died, just stopped eating. I'm not sure if the starry blenny was a contributing factor or not.

Since mama clown jumped, YWB died, pj cards traded in, I am down to 1x male snowflake clown and one dope starry blenny. So this tank needs some fish to help the balance.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I love the dj switch.

Post vibrant I'm going to go with phytoplankton, if the vibrant is unsuccessful. I want to try my hand at growing it as well
When you are ready for phyto- hit me up. I’ll give you a starter of nannochlorpsis. And some tips. I’m a microbiologist PhD and could lend a hand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back