OP
CastAway

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have guessed they're copepods! They have the shape of an amphipod.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen them that up close before. You should try to eradicate them, they will eventually cause damage to your corals. My wrasses keep most bugs under control.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dealt with red bugs. Not to big of a deal but what some one said the AEFW may appear and I have seen others say the same. The next day I seen a AEFE when I've never seen one before.
I have a LOT of interceptor and spectrum pills PM me.
NOW I did NOT use the pills I used DR gs coral dip treatment. I Dosed the entire tank. Not one red bug left and not one snail or crab dead. All the sps looked so good and I have not done another treatment yet. It's been 4 weeks now.
73c83feb893891a069b5c7ab1aad7765.jpg
What size tank and how much Dr G's if you dont mind sharing?

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the situation?

I'm waiting on a new RO membrane before I start my treatment. It S hould arrive in the next couple business days. I need to be prepared to make water faster than I normally do. I'm still using my original membrane, and it's SLOW!

Corals look okay to me. I'm beginning to wonder however if my colors and growth rate are off and I just have no comparison to know better.

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dealt with red bugs. Not to big of a deal but what some one said the AEFW may appear and I have seen others say the same. The next day I seen a AEFE when I've never seen one before.
I have a LOT of interceptor and spectrum pills PM me.
NOW I did NOT use the pills I used DR gs coral dip treatment. I Dosed the entire tank. Not one red bug left and not one snail or crab dead. All the sps looked so good and I have not done another treatment yet. It's been 4 weeks now.
73c83feb893891a069b5c7ab1aad7765.jpg

Their instructions say not to dose your display. Did you have any ill effects at all? Do you still have copepods in your system?

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I does say to not dose tank because you may kill your crabs and snails. He's got to cover his butt. The same can happen with interceptor. It's the same stuff.
Tank has been doing really good. No affects. Have clams, lps, sps, mixed Reef. Still had a lot of pods after the treatment. I would see them all over the chaeto.

c2bb0744a93308005919fac7325177ed.jpg

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm two interceptor treatments into my red bugs now (10 days). No more visible red bugs or eggs. I've lost two sexy shrimp, my gammarus and some scarlet hermits.

Today may be the first indication of improved SPS growth/color! Could be the absence of bugs, or, the cleanings and water changes, or both, but I think I'm seeing something.

4b04d8128dbdd9a46c1c39e704f89467.jpg

This tierra del fuego has never exhibited the expected colors, and now I see some interesting new growth tips.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! Sounds like your turning the corner.
I wiped out my pod population. Amphipods and copepods and have been reseeding them again. I found these amphipods for 9bucks a bottle at
(The coral reef tn) i purchased 2
20170811_181239.jpg
20170811_181210.jpg

Last edited:

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible video and thank you for sharing what was your bad luck with us in an attempt to educate others. I'm surprised no one mentioned that red bugs are a natural food source for Springeri Damsels. I read someone mentioned pipefish and that's true as well. In the future for anyone interested they are a non aggressive species of damsels and I have one and it bothers nothing, not territorial and it's in a 60 cube. You can house multiples. O2manyfish keeps about 8-9 in his outdoor frag tank with no issues and they're beautiful fish. I keep mine as a preventive measure if I ever brought it in my tank by accident.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! Sounds like your turning the corner.
I wiped out my pod population. Amphipods and copepods and have been reseeding them again. I found these amphipods for 9bucks a bottle at
(The coral reef tn) i purchased 2
20170811_181239.jpg
20170811_181210.jpg

LOL!

Ironically, I used to work at Sustainable Aquatics, directly with Dennis Tagrin (DT's), who raises those gammarus here in Tennessee! They will definitely be my source when I go to re-seed my tank. They actually raise two different varieties of the gammarus; the dark gray Hawaiian variety, and, a light tan sub-tropical variety. One more interceptor treatment next week and then I'll pull the trigger on re-seeding the gammarus.

I learned so so much working with Mr.Tagrin, growing phyto and raising amphipods and copepods. He was a blast and it was a great experience working closely with him.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to freak you out further but be on the lookout for AEFW once all the red bugs are gone. It's very common to rid the tank of red bugs then have AEFW take over.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to freak you out further but be on the lookout for AEFW once all the red bugs are gone. It's very common to rid the tank of red bugs then have AEFW take over.

Great. I had read this. I'm afraid I'd hang reefing up at that point.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible video and thank you for sharing what was your bad luck with us in an attempt to educate others. I'm surprised no one mentioned that red bugs are a natural food source for Springeri Damsels. I read someone mentioned pipefish and that's true as well. In the future for anyone interested they are a non aggressive species of damsels and I have one and it bothers nothing, not territorial and it's in a 60 cube. You can house multiples. O2manyfish keeps about 8-9 in his outdoor frag tank with no issues and they're beautiful fish. I keep mine as a preventive measure if I ever brought it in my tank by accident.

I'll have to keep this in mind going forward.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back