Oh my,,,, this all started with a little Nano lol.

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little Disco Fuge lights are a pumping lol
fuge light.jpg

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this may be worth noting but honestly I think my system did a bit of an instant cycle. For the past 6-8 weeks I was cooking my media in a 5 gal pail wil an air bubbler, wave maker and heater.
PXL_20201202_052957233.jpg

I was dumping in all of my old water from my water changes on the Nano and would toss in the used filter floss as well. This was also accompanied by using ammonia and MicrōBacter start xlm at the very start of this.

So my thoughts here are the combination of me cooking up some great bacteria in the bucket along side with the bit of die off from my old live rock and the use of 60 lbs of live sand really kick started my cycle here.
PXL_20210107_231250841.jpg

Recently I picked up a mature pair of blue/green chromis that I was going to put in my QT tank but I had said to myself all my readings have been looking good I wonder how they would be in DT2. Now some of you may think I'm a monster for adding them so early, but honestly they have been doing great no signs of any stress my parameters have been staying solid with very small trace amounts of ammonia 0.2 nitrite and 10 nitrate. I have added no bottled bacteria what so ever to the system other then what I added in the bucket the when I started to cook my media and the system is running great.

I will update this further with some more added pics when I get home but food for thought I think the key to this quick success what cooking up a few gallons of this media.

Cheers folks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210109_031119900.jpg

So I picked up and installed the Tunze 3155 osmolator ATO today. The home Depot pail is a short term plan till I find a better option, but I am so happy that i don't have to fill this 2-3 times a day by hand anymore.

Next big step is getting the lights for the 60 cube. this has been a huge battle in my mind between AI & Kessil so forget em both lol I'm going with Ecotech Radion G5 Blue, XR15. they cost way more but lights are something I don't feel right about cheeping out on so I will save up a bit and use these. I will see how the XR 15 is on the cube if I think it isn't enough I will pick up an XR30 and use two XR15's downstairs on DT2.

Fred and Wilma are doing great in DT2 as is they are constantly at each other it is funny to watch. they have been tank mates for over a year and a half.
fred and wilma.jpg

that wave maker is messing with my sand I have two new ones on order that will have better control.

Peace out folks happy Friday

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just noticed you're in Winnipeg too! If you don't mind me asking, where have you been grabbing most of your stuff? Locally or online? Tanks looking great so far!
I'm a die hard shopper at Concrete Blonde Corals. good to see another pegger. where do you grab your stuff from?

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah nice! George is a good guy. I've gotten all my current fish from him and smaller coral pieces and lots of other maintenance things.

Other stuff I've gotten from Into The Blue (mostly before George opened) and online from Fragbox.ca.

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did a bit more work on the tank room this weekend. moved the Nano into the tank room when I did the water change nice part of a 5 gal tank is I can move it lol. also set up the QT tank for just Chaeto and got that running.

Did my parameters on all the tanks today everything is looking awesome. I swear cooking that media for so long really helped me cycle this so fast. Also I have decided on lights they will take me a bit to acquire them all but I am going with the Radion G5. I will probably use an AI for now on the cube but i think long term Radion is the way I want to go.

138271958_405359013912181_3120478765128799243_n.png

PXL_20210111_024200680.jpg

PXL_20210111_024323236.jpg

PXL_20210111_024131617.jpg

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I found a good setting i want to use for the lights.
jan 19 2021.jpg

I've set it to two parts one regular and one high noon which is ran for a few hours mid day that it ramps up to then ramps down from my regular setting.

Regular setting:
UV 77%
Violet 77%
Royal blue 81%
Blue 81%
Green 7%
Deep red 7%
Cool white 25%

High noon:
UV 110%
Violet 110%
Royal blue 115%
Blue 115%
Green 10%
Deep red 10%
Cool white 35%

My times are:
6:00am-7:00am ramp to regular.
7-9 regular
9-10 ramp to high noon.
10-2 high noon.
2-3 ramp back to regular
3-5 regular
5-6 ramp down.
6pm lunar phase kicks in till midnight.

I have it set to acclimate for 3 weeks right now.

gonna see how the corals react to the new light most of these I had in the Nano that was way over packed lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all I wanted to grab today was some food and floss from Concrete Blond Corals and came home with 4 fish hahahhaaa. added two Purple Firefish, a Royal Gramma (so want to name it Queen Elizabeth nahahhaaa) and a Blue Gudgeon Dartfish.
jan 31 2021 1.jpg

Purple Firefish.jpg

the Dartfish is wicked shy lol.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all I wanted to grab today was some food and floss from Concrete Blond Corals and came home with 4 fish hahahhaaa. added two Purple Firefish, a Royal Gramma (so want to name it Queen Elizabeth nahahhaaa) and a Blue Gudgeon Dartfish.
jan 31 2021 1.jpg

Purple Firefish.jpg

the Dartfish is wicked shy lol.
very nice!

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210204_041804566.jpg

lol I think that a 12 step program is in order for tanks hahhahhahaaa. hosp tank and observation tank are set up and filled. lol I was getting worried about the weight on my table it is still deadly level hahha. I did add a few more GRK screws and a center brace just in case but all n all there is 1000 lbs of water on the table then I sat my fat butt on it to make sure if was good with the extra weight.
PXL_20210204_041821722.jpg

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a few goodies today from Concrete Blonde Corals. funny story i was just going to pick up some maintenance supplies but he had such an awesome sale on some great sps frags, that rainbow monti is HUGE lol. best part is I forgot to buy what I went there for so I guess will go back tomorrow Bahahhahaaaa
feb 16 frags.jpg

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a few goodies today from Concrete Blonde Corals. funny story i was just going to pick up some maintenance supplies but he had such an awesome sale on some great sps frags, that rainbow monti is HUGE lol. best part is I forgot to buy what I went there for so I guess will go back tomorrow Bahahhahaaaa
feb 16 frags.jpg
WOW Awesome haul!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back