Oh my,,,, this all started with a little Nano lol.

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a system update since I haven't been adding much on here recently. Been through some ups and some downs with the tanks. still battling some algae issues in the main display tank, but it is a winning battle Nitrates have come down nicely to 5 from 50 a few weeks ago, also my Phosphate is sitting at 0.01 woot woot. I think adding new lights to the refugium really helped my Chaeto grow.

New lights in the fuge:
PXL_20210226_184429696.jpg

Also my Tigger pods and Apex pods are flourishing nicely:
PXL_20210304_023806967.jpg

I've also decided to try and culture Tigger pods in a pail those have been doing quite well feeding them every few days with SD aquarist.

Recently added a few fish the two Azure Damsels are doing great in the main display:
march 6 Azure Damsels.jpg

I had my first battle with Uronema on a striped cardinal and lost that battle sadly. For anyone who had to deal with that infection on a fish my heart goes out to you it takes over a fish so fast. I noticed it first in the morning as I was heading to work as a large spot on the side of the fish, by the time I got home to try and catch him to put him in the hosp tank the poor little guy was covered in sores.
Sick fish.jpg

Unfortunately he didn't make it and died that evening in the hospital tank, really too bad he was a beautiful little fish.

Currently I have a Yellowtail Wrasse in the hospital tank and he is doing great. I will keep him in there for a couple more weeks while I run a course of meds with him then move him to the observation tank till I decide which tank to put him in. my concerns with adding him to the main display is if he gets an apatite for sps corals lol.

I think it is about time to shift my focuses to DT2 and get a proper reef light for that so I can add corals to it.

DT2 march 6.jpg

I think maybe doing an LPS garden for my corals on this tank once I figure out what light to get for it. I'm on the fence with either one AI Hydra 32 or two 16's, as much as I like the radions they will have to be put on the back burner till I get a few more things for the sump. A UV sterilizer would prob help a ton with keeping everything healthy.

Today is sump day time to clean up the PhoseBan reactor and add my carbon and GFO reactor, still not sold on the whole GFO thing yet so I will probably just start with using carbon only for now.

sump march 6 2021.jpg

Side note I picked up an AutoAqua smart stir magnetic stirrer great little score speeds up my testing tremendously I highly recommend them for anyone's test kits as a must have:

AutoAqua.jpg

Anywho that's my little update for the day have a fantastic weekend.

Woot Woot.

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think my Mag is a bit on the high side at 1520 any advice on lowering it other then a large water change? my PO4 also went up to 0.08, but I was thinking that was due to my Chaeto dying I had awful flow in my fuge and have switched things up there and added some new Chaeto. and will see if that brings it back down to 0.01 again.

current parameters are:
Temp-79.2
Salinity-1.026
PH-8.2
Alk-9.0
NH3-0.0
NO2-0.0
NO3-5.0
PO4-0.08
CA-420
MG-1520
RO/DI-0

I've been testing with Red Sea for everything but Cal that I test with Aquaforest. I picked up an auto dosing pump on the weekend and plan to set that up soon, lust won't be dosing for Mag anytime soon lol.

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am trying my hand at culturing Tigger Pods. I have so many apex pods and tigger pods in my fuge, but they are tough to catch. I decided to try and culture them in a container on their own.
tigger pods.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Mag is quite high still at 1520, I have been using AquaForest Reef salt for my water changes. Is there a better salt I could be using to help lower this? Test kits is RedSea pro

current parameters are:
Temp-79.1
PH-8.2
KH- 9.0
Cal-430
Mag-1520
Nitrate-5.0
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
phosphate-0.08

OP
OP
KevPool

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doser set up.jpg

Added a dosing pump yesterday hopefully everything stays nice and stable. up till now I was using Polyp Labs One but my Mag is trough the roof high lol, so I won't be setting up pump 3 for awhile yet and will prob just end up dosing Mag by hand since it is very slow to go down. pump 4 I will set up for reef energy later today.

current parameters are:
Temp-79.7
PH-8.2
Alk-8.0 want to slowly bring it up to 9.5 again
Ammonia-0
nitrite-0
Nitrate-5.0
Cal-425
Phosphate-0.08
Mag-1520 still need to lower it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back