OH NO! Don't tell me it's glass anemones ...

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On second thought, please tell me so I can remove these things as quick as possible!

20200604_133305.jpg

See it on the bottom side of the Coral?
20200604_133317.jpg
20200604_133322.jpg

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost didn't see it either but yes aptasia/glass anemone. They're not too hard to get rid of if you only have a couple. I use Red Sea's Aptasia X. Works really well and is very satisfying. I would recommend taking out the coral that it's on and placing it in a separate container with tank water in it so you don't dose it into the tank. Probably won't hurt but definitely won't have any issues if you do it in a separate container. If you have a lot of them I would suggest a tasselled filefish AKA anemone eating file fish or Begaria Nudibranch (probably not spelled right). There's a thread on here (R2R) somewhere about Bergarias and the guy actually has video of them dismantling an anemone... Pretty cool.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky and have a peppermint shrimp that eats any that pop up in my tank.
That b. nudi will eat them for sure but once all the aiptasia is gone you'll have to re-home him or he'll starve.
Personally I've never had any luck with Peppermint shrimp, apparently there's a specific species of them that is more effective so maybe I had the wrong one. And yes once they're gone if you go with the nudibranch Seal have to find them a new home once they're gone.

ChgoGoodGirl

Oooo Ill take that one... & that one... & that one
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It my understanding that Lysmata Wurdemanni are the ones with the best chance of hunting them down and eatting them. The only problem is there are others that look very similar and sometimes lfs will unknowingly sell you the wrong ones.

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went full nuclear on these muthatruckas.

I wanted NO CHANCE of them being able to multiply.

I Jimmy Hoffa'd these dudes and buried them alive in gel super glue. After THAT I went over it in regular super glue.

I'd rather hurt a few heads of the galaxea then I would having these guys spread in my tank!

15912977759485200469422026704980.jpg

159129782935412360656458938927.jpg

20200604_141333.jpg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They come in on corals an are perhaps the most resilient animals in the ocean.
One can use Berghia but if there are fish in the aquarium they are a tasty treat. They are best used in a QT tank.
Peppermint shrimp will eat them but are very lazy animals and will eat fish food instead. So they work best if there are no fish in the tank. The file fish method can work but again they will eat other corals.
All the liquid methods will just cause the aiptasia to multiply.
The simplest method I have found for in tank treatment is using the smother method. Using AQUASTIK UNDERWATER EPOXY PUTTY take a small piece and cover the little monster. If you can remove the coral from the tank cover the aiptasia with super glue.

Acroalan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with smothering the ones I can see with a thick kalk paste. I'm careful to fully cover their mouth with it on the first shot, as I was warned that otherwise they have a chance to release spores. I don't know if that's true, but I don't take any chances.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glue probably worked pretty dang good. As far as "liquid methods" go I have had great luck with Aptasia X so I'm not sure what he meant by they will just multiply. If you insert the syringe into its mouth and pump it full they wither right up and die almost instantly. Anywho sounds like you took care of the problem

Back