OK am opinionated but it annoys the heck out of me.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone gets rattled over a complete strangers rant, then maybe reading posts aren't conducive to a happy life... see what I did there?? Hehe

If the crazy hair brain rants of a guy like Paul doesn't rattle your cage, I think you're safe to continue reading posts. He should be the litmus test.
I did indeed see what you did ;>)
Actually Paul and myself have similar views on reefkeeping and seldom disagree. We can disagree and remain friends on here. He doesn't like clownfish, how very well dare he the man's bonkers.... come to think of it so am I, it certainly helps to be to be in this hobby. ;>)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone and clown fish were the thing that hooked me into reef and marine aquarium way back in the 1980. I bought a pair of tank-raised Ocellaris and a Condylactis anemone as the first marine animals for my new 29-gal aquarium in September 1980 at the advice of the LFS in Austin, Texas. I remembered exactly which store I bought it from more than 40 years ago. Of course, I killed all three animals in short order.
I did not attempt to keep another anemone for a long, long time, after I did some research the requirement of these animals. Information was very difficult to come by back in those days, especially accurate information. We can all forget the up-to-date part of any information we came up with.
It got much better in the 1990's when the internet become available and information exchange started to become the norm.
The new reefers these days can count themselves as lucky, there are plenty of good information to guide them. Hard earn information all available for them for free. It is really too bad that many people don't take the advantage of these materials.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone gets rattled over a complete strangers rant, then maybe reading posts aren't conducive to a happy life... see what I did there?? Hehe
I can't believe anyone gets "rattled" over anything on a fish forum which isn't important to anyone except some fish.

If someone is shooting at me, I get rattled, if someone walks up to me carrying a bag of Brussel sprouts and smacks me, I get rattled, If someone runs past my house and spray paints graffiti on it in purple or green, I get rattled,
If someone pushes me on the subway tracks while the train is coming and rats start crawling in my pockets to steal my M&Ms peanuts, I really get mad.......:confounded-face:

See what I did there? Because I don't. :face-in-clouds:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It got much better in the 1990's when the internet become available and information exchange started to become the norm.
I see the internet as a problem. We used to do this using trial and error and after we killed 4 or 500 fish, we learned what not to do. Now everyone who started a tank last Tuesday has a cure for everything and 93% of it is to add some sort of chemical that probably causes cancer in California but if you live in France or Boston, you will be fine.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The attrition rate for new reefers is high. The one that just have passing interested will not do the research and kill animals for a few months and drop out. The one that really interested in it will read, then give the animals some what of proper care and continue to learn. There are still a lot of animals killed but the disasters are less frequent and the lost are tolerable.
Then they learn enough to have an enjoyable experiences.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think stress/odd behaviour in fish might come from keeping species in our tanks that would never encounter one another in the wild or even encounter some of the invertebrates and corals they're now living with. I have to assume even captive bred fish still hold the knowledge of known and unknown creatures they would normally associate with. In the wild they know who is friend and who is foe. In a tank with unknown creatures they don't know which side of the fence the inhabitants fall on. I would certainly get stressed if I didn't know whether the creature swimming toward me intended me harm or not.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ĵ⁷
The attrition rate for new reefers is high. The one that just have passing interested will not do the research and kill animals for a few months and drop out. The one that really interested in it will read, then give the animals some what of proper care and continue to learn. There are still a lot of animals killed but the disasters are less frequent and the lost are tolerable.
Then they learn enough to have an enjoyable experiences.
I hear of people who try to come over as some sort of expert who only started keeping marines last year. Some even have their own YouTube channels who try and tell you what you're doing wrong. They often do stuff like unboxing videos reading off autocues another pet hate of mine. What's that all about.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried adding a Sebae anemone twice, and both ended up in the power head.

I have an SPS tank, so keeping anemones on the rock is a no-no.

I have a clarkii and allardi pair, and they seem fine to me despite not having an anemone. I do not believe I will try another anemone again.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried adding a Sebae anemone twice, and both ended up in the power head.

I have an SPS tank, so keeping anemones on the rock is a no-no.

I have a clarkii and allardi pair, and they seem fine to me despite not having an anemone. I do not believe I will try another anemone again.
I have lots of SPS plus my magnifica and a RBTA no problem at all with them. You just need to provide for their positioning and needs.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I agree a clownfish needs an anemone if captive bred. I do believe they need something to host however (of their choosing). You can put 10 nems in a tank and they might decide to host a duncan coral instead. Now, if we introduce some clowns to a predator tank, then I'd say a nice big anemone would be required for safety purposes.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of SPS plus my magnifica and a RBTA no problem at all with them. You just need to provide for their positioning and needs.
Really? I thought a RBTA would keep reproducing and decide to walk around, stinging any coral on its path.

I read this post which sounded like pretty decent advice:

If you're going to be mad/upset/get rid of the nem because you value (or the market does) your SPS over a nem, you're better off not to get one to begin with. I'm honestly of the opinion if you're going to have a nem in your tank, you should be putting it in there with the attitude that it's the most important thing in your tank and you're willing to sacrifice anything else you put in there for the Nem. I only say that because Murphy.

This is not me trying to steer you away from nems, this is just me trying to set realistic expectations as again, Murphy.

I found that quote from this thread because I wanted a bubble-tip in my tank.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that quote from this thread because I wanted a bubble-tip in my tank.
And that seems like sound advice. For me, nems will never hold value greater than any one of my fish or corals.

I've had bubble tips, haddoni's and a sebae in the past, and they all ended up wreaking havoc. So that was the end of "Jimmy keeping nems" episode.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, @Sisterlimonpot

Here’s another quote from someone with brilliant words of wisdom. I’m not sure if you know this person, but they are simply out of this world! :D

We're attaching human traits to fish. When in reality we don't know what they're thinking, or even if they think in terms of how we understand thinking to be.

That reefer always says the most thought-provoking comments! Anthropomorphism is something humans do that can sometimes cause more harm than good. Kind of like the old lady who swallowed the fly story because another organism will be “upset“ with the anemone present. Then it is back to square one.

Clownfish should be “happy” they aren’t in my sushi roll or being chased by sharks in the wild.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are various theories to why clowns suck on the tentacles of their anemone. Some suggest it might stimulate the production of the coating on the fishes body that prevents the anemone stinging it.
Lol!!! Clownfish - particularly males - clean their eggs in this manner; doing the same thing to tentacles of nems or coral is just instinct.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my cats are unhappy too. They eat processed food - the same stuff every day, never have to hunt for food to survive, are indoor only and never have to fear any predators, and are spayed and neutered.
Biologically (genetically), they have zero reason to live. Survival of a species is the biological imperative (and only reason to live) of all but primates and (potentially) other higher order creatures. My cats are so depressed that they are both contentedly putting on my lap (ok, one is lap-adjacent at this point)...

To think that lower species like fish have any concept of "happiness" is absurd.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me? I'm perfectly calm... Or did you miss the part about two purring cats on my lap ;)
I never knew you had cats.

Here’s my precious son:

705FE58C-93F6-4A71-892A-C67FFB5655C6.jpeg
C86D7027-6371-4168-9C3E-9E161C3B6714.jpeg
1C365902-C7FD-4B1A-BC6D-268AACE07D81.jpeg
95EB86DD-8B39-47B9-95DD-5070785ACD2C.jpeg
8A4D9A6A-61E6-4B88-9458-FC0644FCBD77.jpeg
D0011501-ED66-43D5-AEA5-7818B406B645.jpeg

I’d die for my little kitty cat. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back