Ok Chemiclean…you win. :(

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am anti chemicals and I HATE Chemiclean. I would always get mad when I read people suggesting such a chemical. “Why couldn’t you just cure it naturally?!” I would always snare.

But today I’m battling cyano and NOTHING is working. My nutrients are fine nitrates below 10ppm and phosphates below 0.10ppm. I actually struggled with zero nutrients!

I have an excellent filtration system - skimmers, 1 micron filter socks.

Super strong flow that slightly blows substrate.

…I know how to keep a reef tank. I think this problem came from when my nutrients hit 0 while in a fallow. When I started feeding again after months I got a HUGE burst of Dino’s. Now that Dino’s are done it’s cyano.

I personally don’t mind the cyano. Yes, it’s super ugly, but it’s smothering corals at this point.

So…I CAN’T believe I’m saying this….I’m planning on buying Chemiclean tomorrow.

EDIT: this thread is years old. I don’t have this tank anymore. I used chemiclean and it solved the problem in that old tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern is having my fish die. That’s the purpose of this thread. Because when I buy the product I want to double check everything here before I dose.

I plan to turn off skimmer and run my 1 micron filter socks. I also plan on pointing all my powerheads to the surface and opening the windows of my home.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked great for me, 1 initial dose, 1 secondary clean up dose, and have been clear of it since April
This is JUST the type of response I wanted to receive. Thank you.

Not an IT guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am anti chemicals and I HATE Chemiclean. I would always get mad when I read people suggesting such a chemical. “Why couldn’t you just cure it naturally?!” I would always snare.

But today I’m battling cyano and NOTHING is working. My nutrients are fine nitrates below 10ppm and phosphates below 0.10ppm. I actually struggled with zero nutrients!

I have an excellent filtration system - skimmers, 1 micron filter socks.

Super strong flow that slightly blows substrate.

…I know how to keep a reef tank. I think this problem came from when my nutrients hit 0 while in a fallow. When I started feeding again after months I got a HUGE burst of Dino’s. Now that Dino’s are done it’s cyano.

I personally don’t mind the cyano. Yes, it’s super ugly, but it’s smothering corals at this point.

So…I CAN’T believe I’m saying this….I’m planning on buying Chemiclean tomorrow.

Same boat. Following

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to anyone that suggests H202 for cyano…I tried it for a few days (slightly overdosed 2 times a day) with following @twilliard guide.

Then I did the cyano vs spirulina test and my results shows I have spirulina. Twilliard did testing and found that h202 kills cyano and Chemiclean kills Spirulina.

FYI: both spirulina and cyano and bacterias in the same family, but they respond to complete different treatments.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is JUST the type of response I wanted to receive. Thank you.
To be honest I didn’t even follow the instructions to the T. I have a PT/foxface/manadarin/YWG/coral beauty/fairy wrasse/2 clowns in my tank I dosed. I didn’t even water change when they said to, did it about a week later. Results may vary but it was a life saver for me

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used it in my personal reef, but used it very frequently when I worked at a fish store. Never had any problems with it killing fish and it did get rid of most of it but the cyano always came back eventually.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern is having my fish die. That’s the purpose of this thread. Because when I buy the product I want to double check everything here before I dose.

I plan to turn off skimmer and run my 1 micron filter socks. I also plan on pointing all my powerheads to the surface and opening the windows of my home.
It worked for me. Elbow grease vacuuming sand with water changes bed helps. I corrected what caused it here I think with more flow and less light.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I left my skimmer on and removed the cup allowing it to overflow. It allowed continued aeration while dosing.

I've used chemi clean twice without any ill affects.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw threads I believe of fish or corals dying from it. A quick google and you see the threads. Maybe not from the chemi-clean itself but from the type of cyano that was dying?

Instead of turning the skimmer off... remove the cup and let it overflow.

Majority of time it is fine but I think it's wrong to say it's 100% safe to use.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the instructions say to run an air pump as well, I have used on a few different tanks with many different coral fish and others and never had an issue.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually - I slept on it and I think I understand the main reason why I’m afraid of Chemiclean.

I’m afraid that my tank “maturity” will be ruined. I’m afraid that the bacteria in my rocks and coralline will die.

I know I’m overthinking this big time. And I know the word “maturity” is really taboo. It’s a genuine concern of mine!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the rabbit hole of 1 star Amazon reviews. Warning: graphic

E273E2F1-7470-4F97-A1F4-DBA189CE1E0A.png

the water surface does seem to have good aeration in the review’s picture.

I’m afraid to try the Chemiclean due to the number of people that state their fish died.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Died likely to oxygen issues from both the treatment and oxygen depletion
Run air stone and clean filters daily
For the H202 method, did you add liquid bacteria during the day?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating trying it myself. A bit too difficult to manually remove all my Valonia and I don't really trust emerald crabs as a solution.

*edit, nvm I'm dumb. I'm thinking of Vibrant. Good luck with your adventures tho. Hope it works out.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it to stop a BJD outbreak. No fish problems at all. Left skimmer on with cup off and added an airstone.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back