Ok Chemiclean…you win. :(

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t use an air stone, just pointed my returns up so they made minor splash on the surface..tank had never been so crisp after using it. Just follow the instructions, better to under dose if you’re not 100% on the water volume after rock displacement etc.. I tried everything before using chemiclean, definitely won’t hesitate to use it again if I need to.

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My official results!!

My tank looks healthy now!!!

D9ED8392-FE52-4F64-A4E9-77D3CCC2809A.jpeg
0C2EA4C2-DFA0-46EB-B8ED-FE58C8D60009.jpeg
8CEF172A-E1C7-48F7-89F3-AF78CCBDAD4A.jpeg
95AF3EFA-71E5-4CA2-A350-3568DE2A74C7.jpeg

@Miami Reef I had the same issue and have had the same results. Not for every case, and most definitely not my first option. See my thread if you like: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chemiclean-am-i-the-only-one.860635/

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it once before. Did great for Cyano. But soon after I got Dino’s. Any advice for avoiding something like this?
I also got Dino’s again, but it also went away. It just takes patience IMO.

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also used Chemiclean many times with no long term issues. In my tank, cyano and dinos seem to come around when I let my NO3 levels drop to low (< 1 ppm). I have had good success adding some competetive bacteria like MicrobacterClean to balance the microorganism playing field in your favor.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump

Do people dose per the instructions? I’m reading some @twillard recommended 1.5x dose.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean, I have confirmed spirulina because I get no reaction with H2O2,
Ah.

I haven’t done 1.5x the dose of chemiclean, but my previous tank (I documented it in this thread) did have spirulina (confirmed with Twilliard’s test). Chemiclean at normal dose got rid of it.

And to anyone that suggests H202 for cyano…I tried it for a few days (slightly overdosed 2 times a day) with following @twilliard guide.

Then I did the cyano vs spirulina test and my results shows I have spirulina. Twilliard did testing and found that h202 kills cyano and Chemiclean kills Spirulina.

FYI: both spirulina and cyano and bacterias in the same family, but they respond to complete different treatments.

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah.

I haven’t done 1.5x the dose of chemiclean, but my previous tank (I documented it in this thread) did have spirulina (confirmed with Twilliard’s test). Chemiclean at normal dose got rid of it.
I would follow the instructions for dosing. They did the research. Better to dose and see the results before you mess around with the developer's recommendation. Also look at my previous post regarding adding bacteria back in after to balance your system (which is probably why you have cyano now).

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would follow the instructions for dosing. They did the research. Better to dose and see the results before you mess around with the developer's recommendation. Also look at my previous post regarding adding bacteria back in after to balance your system (which is probably why you have cyano now).
This thread is years old. I don’t have cyano now. I got rid of it in that old tank with a normal chemiclean dose.

Last edited:

AquaReefsTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am anti chemicals and I HATE Chemiclean. I would always get mad when I read people suggesting such a chemical. “Why couldn’t you just cure it naturally?!” I would always snare.

But today I’m battling cyano and NOTHING is working. My nutrients are fine nitrates below 10ppm and phosphates below 0.10ppm. I actually struggled with zero nutrients!

I have an excellent filtration system - skimmers, 1 micron filter socks.

Super strong flow that slightly blows substrate.

…I know how to keep a reef tank. I think this problem came from when my nutrients hit 0 while in a fallow. When I started feeding again after months I got a HUGE burst of Dino’s. Now that Dino’s are done it’s cyano.

I personally don’t mind the cyano. Yes, it’s super ugly, but it’s smothering corals at this point.

So…I CAN’T believe I’m saying this….I’m planning on buying Chemiclean tomorrow.

I understand what you're saying. But sometimes we have to do what we have to do and in my experience, ChemiClean has always worked for me and fast too. After 48 hours of the initial dose just be sure to perform that 20% water change to get rid of the chemical. Opening up windows and pointing powerheads towards the surface of the water should help tremendously in keeping oxygen levels stable enough during treatment. I do the same and my fish always continue to show me normal behavior and breathing behavior too. Happy Reefing!

Back