!!OK GANG WHO'S USING "NO GLITZ "OVER AT BATTLECORALS???? LETS RE-VISIT THIS INTERESTING OPTION. I WANT FEEDBACK!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you are asking yourself what the heck is he talking about, well then you may be missing out one my best gimmicks ever.

For years I've seen post after post about people who have had enough of the "name game". I'm Sure you know what I mean by that and I am right there with you. Believe me. So much in fact that I implemented a feature with the last site update a couple years ago with an option to literally remove all the "silly" names in favor of actual scientific ones. There was a whole contest about it and stuff a while back where we tried to ID as many as possible. Was fun.

Anyway, in case you aren't familiar with the No Glitz option, to access it all you have to do is hit the" EnableNo Glitz" button on any of the product pages.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 4.44.00 PM.png

Doing so will bring you to this page next, to confirm your decision.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 4.36.56 PM.png

Upon confirmation you will be in No Glitz mode where all products are listed by their scientific names where ever positive ID's were possible. And that's pretty much it. A gimmick to be sure. But for the purists, a lifeline to coral purchasing sanity.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 4.44.14 PM.png

So back to the focus of this post. Anyone actually using this feature, and if so what do you think? If not, tell us why, or perhaps what else you'd prefer to see.

all feedback welcome. if you have to be brash it's OK I can take it. It's been a few years now and I'd like some honest real world opinions on this one.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is awesome well done. I'd also like to see a no blues button whenever possible from all vendors as some of us run closer to the full spectrum side.
Hi there,

Right on man thanks for the post. Truth to be told, I'd say 90% of my pictures were taken under Radium halides, which are pretty much a crisp white by today's standards.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Right on man thanks for the post. Truth to be told, I'd say 90% of my pictures were taken under Radium halides, which are pretty much a crisp white by today's standards.
Totally awesome I can definetely see this in alot of your photos.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yep have totally used it but the picture looked the same. I did notice that the names had changed so wasnt really sure what all it did. I thought maybe it would change something with the photo :p
So switched it back because I like the names , keeps me from buying duplicates.

You asked for feed back sooo
I would like to see frag pics, like the ones in your frags pack photos along with the beautiful close up photos you have of your corals. I think it really gives a good idea of what the frag is going to look like.(not a WYSIWYG thing ) but a one time shot of a frag of the coral. If that makes sense :)

and while im rambling have to share.

I love the stuff I got from you it is so amazing, last night I was rearranging live rock making space for new frags etc. Pumps were all off and I was up on ladder looking down on my tank and the view from above was crazy compared to what they looked like from the side. Not sure why that is but it was totally different , I mean those frags were just popping compared to view from front of the tank. Top rim of my tank is 5 foot and I have a canopy so never get a look down on the corals.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've turned no glitz on before but I'm 100% for names. I like names and helps me track what I have shows a little personality of where it came from. Granted two places may call the same thing a different name but I find it easier to remember and deal with. Since there's species duplicates and not all have identified species in no glitz I find it only useful for when I really don't know what I want and may look at something I may have passed over previously because of a name.

Species names are fine but I'd much rather know the growth pattern or style (table, branching, etc) since that's more useful to the average person. If species name is available I'll use that to try and determine how it grows, but sometimes even that could have multiple options/ varieties. Ultimately it's tough to determine how it might grow based off close ups etc.

I think including some of the information marked on bags (growth rate, hardiness, years captive) would also be good to include on the pages.

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No glitz is cool for growth patterns and such but I’ve gotta say I really get a kick out of how you come to name some of these. I’d like to see you keep both options but if I had to pick I’d say “GIVE ME GLITZ!!!!”

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yep have totally used it but the picture looked the same. I did notice that the names had changed so wasnt really sure what all it did. I thought maybe it would change something with the photo :p
So switched it back because I like the names , keeps me from buying duplicates.

You asked for feed back sooo
I would like to see frag pics, like the ones in your frags pack photos along with the beautiful close up photos you have of your corals. I think it really gives a good idea of what the frag is going to look like.(not a WYSIWYG thing ) but a one time shot of a frag of the coral. If that makes sense :)

and while im rambling have to share.

I love the stuff I got from you it is so amazing, last night I was rearranging live rock making space for new frags etc. Pumps were all off and I was up on ladder looking down on my tank and the view from above was crazy compared to what they looked like from the side. Not sure why that is but it was totally different , I mean those frags were just popping compared to view from front of the tank. Top rim of my tank is 5 foot and I have a canopy so never get a look down on the corals.
Top down shots through a viewer really add another dimension.!

harrylarry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Names sell these days. No namers don’t…ppl want cool shiny things they can resell and/or brag about. A megadelia rainbow millionaire tenuous is wayyy cooler and resells easier

harrylarry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus I guess it’s generational id rather pander to the younger as the old ppl are just dying off and young keeps replenishing lol

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be honest. I’m a no-name guy but I seldom if ever use the no-glitz button soo yea. I like to make sure I don’t get duplicates though my orders are few

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few I have pics of cause lights are out….. I like crazy names because I remember them and most BC corals become colonies for me.
In order…
Bohemia
Snipers Blue
Pc Rainbow
Upscales Microclados
Bubble Bath Unicorn
IMG_0765.jpeg IMG_0766.jpeg IMG_0767.jpeg IMG_0768.jpeg IMG_0772.jpeg

Last edited:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I love not only the creativity of the names but the short stories that go along with them. It’s appreciated, fun and entertaining. Originally, when you started the no glitz option, you rumored that there may be some hidden price differences between the full glitzorama and the completely devoid of glitz pieces albeit they would be the same item. I missed the boat on that and never found it to be true, it was like snipe hunting ha. As mentioned above, and awhile back, it would be great to have the stats (growth rate, lighting, flow, etc) and colony pics wether yours or customers on the sites. For example, I always wondered what a full size colony of bubble bath unicorn looks like…now I’ll never know. Anyway love what you do man!

Last edited:

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I love not only the creativity of the names but the short stories that go along with them. It’s appreciated, fun and entertaining. Originally, when you started the no glitz option, you rumored that there may be some hidden price differences between the full glitzorama and the completely devoid of glitz pieces albeit they would be the same item. I missed the boat on that and never found it to be true, it was like snipe hunting ha. As mentioned above, and awhile back, it would be great to have the stats (growth rate, lighting, flow, etc) and colony pics wether yours or customers on the sites. For example, I always wondered what a full size colony of bubble bath unicorn looks like…I’ll never know. Anyway love what you do man!
I agree that would be great to get fast grower slow grower , hardy, wimpy etc and some large colony pics
I also 100 percent agree on the story on each one, I enjoy reading them also.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally awesome I can definetely see this in alot of your photos.
dangit Eldon. A lot is two words.

Adam, I've tried it. The made up names don't mean anything to me but neither do the scientific names. I'm still going off of pictures and price as a comparison to what I want ,primarily.

Pup spamm for forgiveness.
PXL_20230610_032748222.jpg

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
dangit Eldon. A lot is two words.

Adam, I've tried it. The made up names don't mean anything to me but neither do the scientific names. I'm still going off of pictures and price as a comparison to what I want ,primarily.

Pup spamm for forgiveness.
PXL_20230610_032748222.jpg
Believe it I had once considered loosing all labels in this regard. Perhaps I can implement a third option. Zero mode or something where it’s only pics…. Thinking out loud here

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind it, and totally appreciate the concept. For me though, names aren’t a status / consumerist / sales technique I think, I like them so that I can remember exactly what frags I want to buy!

Once they’re in the tank, I usually forget the name and it’s lost to history.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind it, and totally appreciate the concept.

Once they’re in the tank, I usually forget the name and it’s lost to history.

This is pretty much me, as well.

I can recall the "given" names of a handful of them but me pointing out a coral is like "that green one above the Invalida, below the purple drippy one."

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it I had once considered loosing all labels in this regard. Perhaps I can implement a third option. Zero mode or something where it’s only pics…. Thinking out loud here
Figure out how to go john carpenter they live style. Normal website with normal pics but if you buy battleglasses you can see a generic black and white website that just has labels like consume, buy, obey

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back