OK Guys who in the Valley has a Vet that understands reef tanks/reef fish?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a vet who is willing to prescride some antibiotics to help with STN/RTN in cases where it appears spontaneously. Has anyone had luck talking to thier vets about this type of thing? Specifically I would like to get some azithromycin.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, you think this has to do with bacteria? The spontaneous RTN/STNs?

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, you think this has to do with bacteria? The spontaneous RTN/STNs?
I think it may be possible. I have had a couple of frags that have started to RTN, and I treated with witch hazel and Cipro, and so far (knock on wood) they seem to have stabilized. I spoke to several othe long time SPS keepers who believe that a combination of Cipro and Zithromax (Azithromycin) can stop bacterial infections from proceeding.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know. I get random colonies, almost always colonies that randomly RTN, and it kills me. Frags, even ones from the mother colonies, are usually fine. I would really like to find out the root cause also.

mikluha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search eBay for Bird Zithro. Actually, if you google for Bird Zithro you find many places who sells it (and other fish antibiotic) w/o prescription

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search eBay for Bird Zithro. Actually, if you google for Bird Zithro you find many places who sells it (and other fish antibiotic) w/o prescription
I'll do that. Thank you.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, please keep us updated, thanks....
Well, I don't have the Zitrhomax yet, but I treated a frag of ORA Joe the Coral that was going downhill fast. I first dipped in Witch Hazel for 5 minutes to remove dead tissue, then I dipped for about 2 hours in a combination of Cipro, Metronidazol, and Kanamycin Sulfate. I also did WC's at this point so that may have had some effect too, but it was 3 days ago, and the frag has completely stopped receeding. I'll update in a few weeks to let you know if it is growing back tissue or not. The other piece that I had trouble with was my colony of MattV Rainbow Envy. First the piece in my frag tank started to RTN, then my mother colony started to lose tissue. I could not save the frag tank piece, but I cut off as much as I could from the mother colny and treated it the same way. Some of the smaller frags still RTN'd, but the bigger piece, and what is left of the mother colony seem to have settled down. I'll update on that one too.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any updates?
I was able to obtain the antibiotics. I've managed to save a few pieces using them, but fortunately things have settled down, so I haven't had to use them for a while now. I've got them if the need arises though...

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feel that you would treat any new frags as a precaution vs waiting for symptoms. So proactive vs reactive?

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feel that you would treat any new frags as a precaution vs waiting for symptoms. So proactive vs reactive?
Not if they look good when they come in. If they seem to be strugling when they arrive I definitely will.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arizona Exotic animal hospital is the only one I know of that does fish. Website is azeah.com
They helped when I had red bugs in my reef and got me the medication needed to treat for them. Really helpful Vet that was genuinely interested and concerned about my coral pests.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back