OK, I know this has been discussed to death, BUT...

NanoReeferLancashire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read a lot of threads, posts replies etc, here and on other forums. Though I am still unable to find an exact answer to my question.

I have one (or had) brown/white feather, I was attempting to reposition it after it had been in my tank about a week, as I did it threw its crown, felt awful was trying to do best and get it into a better position for flow to allow it to get food easier. I did NOT see the actual worm, and have been very closely watching the tank more than usual to see if I spot it, and as yet I haven't.

My specific question is...

This happened 2 days ago, the tube is still firm and doesn't look flat or shriveled. However, the end seems to be "pinched closed" and the worm has not been out since. Is this normal while it regrows, or should I fear it is dead?

I have tested params and with the crappy API it shows 0-0.25 ammonia and 0 nitrite with around 5ppm nitrate.

So no ammonia spike, but if it is sadly dead, when would you expect to see a spike?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit mine by accident when scraping the glass a couple of months ago, which caused it to shed its crown. I didn't see the worm for about 2 weeks, and I thought it was dead, or that it had abandoned its tube. Then 2 weeks after shedding, I saw tiny little feather tips sticking out of the tube, which was new feather growth. It got bigger everyday, took about a month to return to normal. It was an impressive and amazing thing to watch happen. Good luck

OP
OP
N

NanoReeferLancashire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit mine by accident when scraping the glass a couple of months ago, which caused it to shed its crown. I didn't see the worm for about 2 weeks, and I thought it was dead, or that it had abandoned its tube. Then 2 weeks after shedding, I saw tiny little feather tips sticking out of the tube, which was new feather growth. It got bigger everyday, took about a month to return to normal. It was an impressive and amazing thing to watch happen. Good luck

Brilliant, gives me hope. Thank you for the reply. I also just bought reef snow, I have read posts that when they shed their crown they're unable to eat, but I got these before reading that, is this ture? Would it be pointless feeding reef snow atm?

I have no coral in yet and just snails and 1 clown.

Thanks again.

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple feather dusters and one threw their crown after I moved it, I was bummed as well...

it grew back I’m amazed at how fast they grow their crowns once they get going! You’re probably in good shape if you haven’t seen the worm

OP
OP
N

NanoReeferLancashire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple feather dusters and one threw their crown after I moved it, I was bummed as well...

it grew back I’m amazed at how fast they grow their crowns once they get going! You’re probably in good shape if you haven’t seen the worm
Brilliant.

Thank you.

OP
OP
N

NanoReeferLancashire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

I am pleased to tell everyone this morning, I spotted the head of the feather!!! Great to know it's OK.

It has somehow borrowed out of what was the centre of the original tube, but Just so good to see it back. I will now be pleased watching it regenerate it's crown.

Thanks for all the advice and support.

OP
OP
N

NanoReeferLancashire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210625_214128.jpg
20210626_074212.jpg
20210625_214128.jpg

The first pic is from this morning. It's actually left its tube and started building a new one, aswel as new crown.

Second pic is from last night.

The crown actually looks slightly darker than the original. More deeper redish brown and less white. But will see how it looks once it gets larger.

Just glad its doing well.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good,nature is brilliant and resilient hey ^_^
Im just next door to you in liverpool so hello

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back