Ok i think i made a decision 9n the 40 gal breeder

James52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok guys so after doing alot of looking and research and not trying to overwhelm myself and jump out of the hobby. Im going to go with a tidal 75 hob filters and yes I know everyone is going to say that it is just a nitrate and detritus trap. I will be adding purigen to it and more filtration media to help. Im going to be adding 40 pds of Liverock not liferock. That will be awesome filtration for the tanks cycle. Im not going to be buying lights as of now since alot of videos say to cycle your tank with lights off so algae doesn't promote. I will be going with some A1 prines I believe down the road two of them. I will be adding two ocellaris clowns after the tanks ammonia cycle is done to help get the tank stable and ready to support corals an other tank mates. I will be adding a clean up crew after the clowns have been in there a while and have produced detritus and decaying food. I don't expect to have it up in running with fish in the next month. I want to do thus right and provide best habitat for my marine life. So I will be cycling my tank for a good few months before any life is added at all. I will be dosing beneficial bacteria to help. Well im done blabbing guys. Thanks for everyone who has given me tips and help and advice I will keep everyone updated on the status of the tank as it progresses and there will be tons of pictures! Happy reefing!!

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just grab this kit:

I have one that I use for a frag tank and it's been perfect.

OP
OP
J

James52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on good reliable pumps and skimmers i can use for this Fiji cube? I don't want to go cheapest because you get what you pay for. And yes all the extras can wait I just want to get a stand the tank.woth water and salt in it and my powerheads turnings over water start dosing then add live rock @Tcook

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on good reliable pumps and skimmers i can use for this Fiji cube? I don't want to go cheapest because you get what you pay for. And yes all the extras can wait I just want to get a stand the tank.woth water and salt in it and my powerheads turnings over water start dosing then add live rock @Tcook

Measure the chamber. Maybe Eheim CompactOn. I'm upgrading my Nuvo 20 with this pump.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB filters arent really nitrate traps, i think you may be confusing them with cannister filters. HOB filters work well but looks not as good and you cant hide equipment. Prob the fijicube skimmer or eshopps nano one if you can fit it, larger skimmers wont fit

OP
OP
J

James52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to order the fiji cube and once it arrives do measurements and go from there and use your guys help on making a choice for pump and skimmer. Thanks!! @Tcook @dedragon

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
np, just check sites like premium aquatics, bulkreefsupply, and marinedepot when looking for the aquarium supplies as these places only really carry quality aquarium equipment (for the most part) and what seems to be less biased reviews on site

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to help streamline the first post

two types of live rock
live rock from a pet store is skip cycle

this is how 99% of reef convention tanks are made to start, all 400 on the same day...live rock skip cycle. that's how your cycle will play out if you use pet store rock. it does an opposite type of cycle compared to mailed ocean rock that we cure out.

live rock from a pet store moved home, skip cycle.
live rock mailed to you, from the ocean, often needs curing time for things to stop dying but it shows up absolutely full of bacteria.

any extra surface area you're adding beyond that is for your own feel good it isn't helping or harming the tank. those details w help now in planning, expenditures etc. the filter helps in water movement, running it empty is the same benefit as running it full of media. the reef isn't short on surface area, is why. the nitrate isn't the concern, all that live rock you have will produce orders more nitrate than the filter

*hint: any nitrate readings you read posted online would just be fifty ppm different on another test kit brand...horseshoes are more accurate. take your initial readings as more of an approximation until you invest in digital equipment.

Last edited:

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this for the return pump:

It's a tight squeeze but I just took he striker off of it and it's perfect.

The skimmer I'm using the Fijicube skimmer they show on that page. Took about a week before it broke in but has been running good since then:

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back