Ok, Just Tell Me Where to Put my Powerheads

Globalbutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give in. I keep searching and searching, reading through threads, watching videos, trying to figure it ALL out on my own. But now it is time to just let go and give it up to a “higher power” - the R2R Forum.

Trying to find the magic, elusive flow in the tank - enough, but not too much. Enough to keep corals happy and eliminate detritus pits, but not so much as to blow all the sand out, upset the corals and generally terrify the fish.

Here’s what we are working with:
Red Sea Reefer 625XXL (59”L x 25.6”W x 23.6”H)
Return pump: Neptune COR 20 (usu. at 90%)
2 x Neptune WAV powerheads
2 x Maxspect Gyre xf350 plus ICV6 wireless module to control them via the Syna-g app.

Tank is currently full of LPS, Zoas, a few softies and shrooms and a couple of little Pocillopora frags (that’s as far into SPS world until I get this figured out.) I do have one rock flower anemone that never moves (much as I wish he would) and a RBTA that is a proper PITA and keeps picking very annoying spots (I was warned - didn’t listen.)

Here’s a picture of the tank and rock work. Let me know what else you need to know.
FE918613-1FF7-4E62-B71A-4579301B92F1.jpeg
748D0CC4-70DD-47E5-9FE1-D12882EFBE79.jpeg

A24CF603-6256-40C5-A248-B695D7ACC855.jpeg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a beautiful tank! As far as flow, I can’t speak to your specific equipment, but there’s a lot of trial and error once you have the power heads in the tank. Watch for dead spots where detritus builds up, or where the sand if getting blown away. You should also see how your corals do with different flow and may want to move your power heads around if you want your coral in a specific spot. I have the smaller icecap gyre on one side of my 40g. It’s great, but there’s not a lot of flow right under it, so I might add another small power head on the bank of the tank on the gyre’s side to help keep the rock cleaner. Where are you planning to place them?

OP
OP
Globalbutterfly

Globalbutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The two WAV’s were just not enough (at least not in any configuration I could figure out.) Had delusional fantasies that the new gyres were going to magically solve all my concerns. Not so much.

Have one on each end, facing each other (still trying to figure out programming). The WAV’s are in the back, Currently only using them during feed mode for light circulation (total waste of their capabilities.)

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The two WAV’s were just not enough (at least not in any configuration I could figure out.) Had delusional fantasies that the new gyres were going to magically solve all my concerns. Not so much.

Have one on each end, facing each other (still trying to figure out programming). The WAV’s are in the back, Currently only using them during feed mode for light circulation (total waste of their capabilities.)

For your gyre setting, take a look here for good starting point at least (maybe even final settings) http://www.pelphrey.net/gyre.html
Video below the settings is quite informative for programming gyres.

OP
OP
Globalbutterfly

Globalbutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That IS very useful. I had watched his video, but didn’t see the programming breakdown.

I must say I was surprised in 2019 to have to buy a separate module to enable me to program and operate the Maxspect gyres using their Syna-g app. Seems like that could have - should have been built right into the new 300 models.

Back