OK Liveaquaria. What's the deal with this Feminus Wrasse?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Aquarist76

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to drop by and say I've been following this thread and impressed by your commitment and care and touch of craziness. I would never attempt to bring stuff to HI its a nightmare. Thankfully you are not an ignorant individual in regards to the nightmare.

I also think Diver's Den and LiveAquaria are showing how great their business is. I've been a customer since my teens and they're a great resource to us in the hobby looking for these types of special specimens. Or normal supplies we need like Salt!

Hopefully your new home in HI has room for a concrete slab to be poured to house a shiny new aquarium.

Lastly, they might want a plan for your wastewater. I encountered this in regards to a property in Florida. All the regulatory folks said even if I wasn't within the realm if needing a plan, having one would potentially help approval for livestock and other things. This property was a private island and only a foot or so above the water at high tide some places so it was funky. If they're (Hawaii) concerned about biocontamination wastewater being taken care of may make things easier for them to approve.

Are you monitoring O2 levels in your QT tanks? Its something that probably was not an issue, but occasionally happens with these types of tanks.

-Andrew
Thank you. I definitely have a touch of craziness. My new house does have a concrete slab foundation. I'm planning on getting a 500G tank made if I can for some of my big tangs. I also plan to bring my Planet Aquarium 96" that will be for the wrasses and less aggressive fish. No custom built-in aquarium at this time until I'm sure I'm not relocating again.

I have not been monitoring O2 levels; not sure how to actually. I do have air stones in all my QTs as well as ammonia monitor. I'm doing water changes daily or every other day on this tank as it's newly set up and I don't want any ammonia to build up. The water changes are temp and salinity balanced so the fish are tolerating them well. I am seeding the QT with some Microbacter XLM to help build up the biologic filter. Now that I've had the fish for nearly two weeks and there's no sign of disease I've also put a small tub of sand in the tank so she can bury herself at night if she wants; and also hopefully to help house some good bacteria.

OP
OP
Aquarist76

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pic but first night with her new sand bed and she's already taken to it.

DSC09960.jpg

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I definitely have a touch of craziness. My new house does have a concrete slab foundation. I'm planning on getting a 500G tank made if I can for some of my big tangs. I also plan to bring my Planet Aquarium 96" that will be for the wrasses and less aggressive fish. No custom built-in aquarium at this time until I'm sure I'm not relocating again.

I have not been monitoring O2 levels; not sure how to actually. I do have air stones in all my QTs as well as ammonia monitor. I'm doing water changes daily or every other day on this tank as it's newly set up and I don't want any ammonia to build up. The water changes are temp and salinity balanced so the fish are tolerating them well. I am seeding the QT with some Microbacter XLM to help build up the biologic filter. Now that I've had the fish for nearly two weeks and there's no sign of disease I've also put a small tub of sand in the tank so she can bury herself at night if she wants; and also hopefully to help house some good bacteria.
Very nice, however I'm thinking you need something just for the tank more the size of a Stonehenge rock as a slab, maybe 10x10x2 foot? :D

I'm just getting back into aquariums after spending 5 years messing with vivariums. I don't recall off hand how people were monitoring O2, but I had a few conversations with Tom Barr back in the day about it. He had clients with monster tanks that he was actually regulating oxygen and injecting pure oxygen into the water, using a venturi diffuser if memory serves. I personally have never done so, but I know it's something some aquariums and research institutions do.

It's important to remember that O2 can dip at night in a normal tank. In a QT tank it can be more extreme depending on medications and stuff. I figure you know this, yet I think it's easy to forget the basics when we start getting to the extremes.

I wonder if Live Aquaria runs any O2 monitoring/management.

It might be worth considering.

I understand the moving problems. I tend to have tanks/vivariums set up on both sides of the country at any given point.

I'm glad she is doing well. They sure are beautiful.
-Andrew

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a look for those curious about O2 probes. The Neptune Apex has a module MP3 that supports an O2 Probe.

029EF0F3-AB48-4733-AE0D-96020D160C28.jpeg

Apex Probe Module 3 Manual

I think most people have the module, but never use the O2 port. Live Aquaria doesn’t seem to sell sensors, but other businesses have them for sale.

Double posting is bad, however I thought it was merited this once.

-Andrew

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I hate to bring this back from the dead, but I have to know how the story ends. @Aquarist76 I see that your location on your profile is updated to Honolulu. Are your fish also in Honolulu?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Akersta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old tread but fwiw a fem wrasse can transition from female to male colors and back in the matter of a few seconds. My male fem wrasse used to do this all the time until he killed my female fem wrasse then the male colors stayed permanent.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update on the wrasse did she make it through shipping after all plan on getting 1 of these but will be shipped

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back