OK Liveaquaria. What's the deal with this Feminus Wrasse?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you needed a permit to bring fish into Hawaii? Idk how hard it is to obtain. Just that a friend could not bring theirs with when they moved there due to laws. They probably worry someone might bright a nonnative fish or pet and release it. Hawaii is pretty strict about things. Last I checked, I can’t even move there and bring my domestic bengal cat.
Did he have invasive species? I don’t know the laws but I just assume they are stricter on export than import

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he have invasive species? I don’t know the laws but I just assume they are stricter on export than import

Hawaii does not, in general, support the aquarium trade.

I would say they are very strict on animal imports. I did not go through the list to see what fish are allowed though so can’t say if his is or isn’t but it’s a huge fine and jail time if someone brings a restricted animal without a permit. No idea how hard those are to obtain.

I am only aware because I keep a domestic cat called a bengal which was illegal last time I checked. So no Hawaii for me.

Hawaii has strict laws regarding the importation of animals. Some animals that may be allowed as pets in other states or countries may be restricted or prohibited in Hawaii. Importing an illegal animal carries a penalty of up to three years in prison and fines up to $500,000

https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/pq/trave...ing-animals-to-hawaiʻi-from-the-u-s-mainland/

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flying with a fish in a bag in the cabin would seem to run up against the TSA liquids rule. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule
"travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item"

Perhaps there is a separate rule for pets / live animals? If so, I'd want to be sure that the folk at the TSA checkpoint were aware of the different rules for pets. Perhaps call ahead and print out the specific rule/regulation governing carrying fish in the cabin.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you were to charter your own plane to Hawaii so you can take all your fish with you? I’m sure it’d be cheaper than buying 5 or 6 round trips to Hawaii and a lot less intensive for you. Are you planning on also bringing coral with you to Hawaii? I’m pretty sure there’s very strict coral import laws

OP
OP
Aquarist76

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you needed a permit to bring fish into Hawaii? Idk how hard it is to obtain. Just that a friend could not bring theirs with when they moved there due to laws. They probably worry someone might bright a nonnative fish or pet and release it. Hawaii is pretty strict about things. Last I checked, I can’t even move there and bring my domestic bengal cat.
Yup, you need to apply for a permit. I'm working on it. I've got my list ready to submit. I'm just waiting to get a finalized HI address I'll be living at and make sure I'm not going to get any more fish before I leave. ;)

OP
OP
Aquarist76

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flying with a fish in a bag in the cabin would seem to run up against the TSA liquids rule. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule
"travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item"

Perhaps there is a separate rule for pets / live animals? If so, I'd want to be sure that the folk at the TSA checkpoint were aware of the different rules for pets. Perhaps call ahead and print out the specific rule/regulation governing carrying fish in the cabin.
They do. If it's in a clear bag and they can see the fish alive then it can be more than 3oz.

OP
OP
Aquarist76

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you were to charter your own plane to Hawaii so you can take all your fish with you? I’m sure it’d be cheaper than buying 5 or 6 round trips to Hawaii and a lot less intensive for you. Are you planning on also bringing coral with you to Hawaii? I’m pretty sure there’s very strict coral import laws
Yeah, I don't plan on bringing much or any coral. They are somewhat nebulous on coral import laws. They have four lists in regards to importing fish: 1. Conditionally permitted items (stuff that's allowed) 2. Restricted "A" 3. Restricted "B" 4. Prohibited items

Most LPS coral at least isn't listed on any of those lists so it is unclear if it's allowed. It seems that they allow you to request brining in unlisted items any then it will be reviewed on a case by case basis. I need to call them to look into this more to see if it's even worth it. I would like to bring some LPS, anemones, and rabbitfish which are either unlisted or restricted. Everything else I have is permitted.

OP
OP
Aquarist76

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my tentative list for anyone interested.
Note, I don't plan on bringing all of these. I'm hoping I will be able to locally sell or donate some of them before I leave. I'm just listing everything I currently have just in case.

QuantityCommodityScientific Name
1Achilles TangAcanthurus achilles
1DussumieriTangAcanthurus dussumieri
1Powder Blue TangAcanthurus leucosternon
1Clown TangAcanthurus lineatus
1Sohal tangAcanthurus sohal
2Aptasia FilefishAcreichthys tomentosus
2Tomato clownfishAmphiprion frenatus
2Latezonatus ClownfishAmphiprion latezonatus
4Ocellaris ClowfishAmphiprion ocellaris
1Lennardi WrasseAnampses lennardi
1Femininus WrasseAnampses femininus
1Marine BettaCalloplesiops altivelis
1Three Banded ButterflyfishChaetodon robustus
1Blue Line AngelfishChaetodontoplus septentrionalis
1Nahacky's wrasseCirrhilabrus nahackyi
1Golden Rhomboid WrasseCirrhilabrus rhomboidalis
2Chestnut BlennyCirripectes castaneus
1Polyzona BlennyCirripectes polyzona
1Chevron tangCtenochaetus hawaiiensis
1Bicolor blennyEcsenius bicolor
1Black combtooth blennyEcsenius namiyei
2Bellus AngelfishGenicanthus bellus
1Royal grammaGramma loreto
1Earmuff WrasseHalichoeres malasmapomus
4Pyramid ButterflyfishHemitaurichthys polylepis
1Flashing TilefishHoplolatilus chlupatyi
1Pastel TilefishHoplolatilus fronticinctus
1Yellow TilefishHoplolatilus luteus
2Rainbow BassletLiopropoma fasciatum
2Caribbean Swissguard BassletLiopropoma rubre
2Swales BassletLiopropoma swalesi
1Whitetail dottybackManonichthys cf. alleni
1Blonde Naso TangNaso elegans
1Multicolor dottbackOgilbyina novaehollandiae
1Hippo tangParacanthurus hepatus
1Linespot Flasher WrasseParacheilinus lineopunctatus
1Black bar filefishPervagor janthinosoma
3Lightning ClownfishPremnas biaculeatus
2Blood orange clownfishPremnas biaculeatus x A. ocellaris
1Red stripe anthiasPseudanthias fasciatus
1Ventralis AnthiasPseudanthias ventralis
1Indigo dottybackPseudochromis fridmani
1Dilectus dottybackPseudochromis dilectus
1Molly miller blennyScartella cristata
QuantityCommodityScientific Name
6Chalk bassletSerranus tortugarum
6Pajama Cardinal fishSphaeramia nematoptera
2Mandarin dragonetSynchiropus splendidus
1Dwarf GobyTrimma caesiura
2Gem tangZebrasoma gemmatum
1Black scopas tangZebrasoma scopas
1Scopas Koi TangZebrasoma scopas
1Yellow Scopas TangZebrasoma scopas
1Purple TangZebrasoma xanthurum
Restricted A
2Magnificent RabbitfishSiganus magnificus
1Blue lined rabbitfishSiganus doliatus
1Blue spot rabbitfishSiganus corallinus
1Gold lined rabbittfishSiganus lineatus
1Foxface LoSiganus vulpinus
1Haddoni AnenomeStichodactyla haddoni
12Bubble Tip AnenomeEntacmaea quadricolor
8Mushroom CoralActinodiscus sp.
Not Listed
1Torch CoralEuphyllia glabrescens
8Hammer CoralEuphyllia ancora
4Acan CoralMicromussa lordhowensis
1Button CoralCynarina lacrymalis
4Blastomussa CoralBlastomussa wellsi
3Cleaner shrimpLysmata amboinensis
1Eschmeyer's ScorpionfishRhinopias eschmeyeri

OP
OP
Aquarist76

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, bad news to report. The Fem wrasse took a turn for the worse this morning. When I went to check on her she is barely struggling to hang on. It looks like she might have either ick or velvet. As of last night she was swimming around, full of energy and eating. I have been prophylactically treating with API General Cure and Kanaplex. She was put in a newly set up and disinfected tank only with the Blue Line Angelfish I also got from LA. Needless to say this is very upsetting. I've isolated her and will be crossing my fingers but it doesn't look good.

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, good question. I keep hearing mixed info on if you can check packaged fish on a plane. Several places/people say you can but TSA says fish are only allowed in the plane cabin. A fish like this would definitely come on the plane in the cabin with me given it's small size and price. If I can't check fish that will be a severe limitation of what I can bring. If that's the case I'm going to have to look at shipping (I'm not sure overnight is available to HI so it may have to be 2-day which should still be fine if packed well but makes me nervous). Worst case scenario I have a friend or relative care for the ones I really want and I can go back and forth and take them in batches on the plane with me. Either way it's going to be quite expensive I expect but my fish are my babies and I'm not leaving them behind (at least not my favs).
This seems insane to me for a variety of reasons, in particular the reasons related to the environment and money

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From what I have seen as long as there is a living creature in the bag they allow it on. I belive coralfish12g brought an octopus on a plane.

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have seen as long as there is a living creature in the bag they allow it on. I belive coralfish12g brought an octopus on a plane.
Wow, if I'd known that I'd have been hitting LFS every time I went out of town! Unfortunately, for the last 14 months I've been WFH, and it looks like that'll be the norm going forward. I'll keep it in mind though if biz travel ever resumes.

OP
OP
Aquarist76

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update, Fem wrasse is still alive after 24hrs of "ICU" care; which I did not expect. She still doesn't want to move but her breathing seems more comfortable. Initially under bad lighting I though I saw white spots. Now under better lighting she looks fine. There are a couple of very fine black spots by her face but I think that may be from the carbon filter she is resting up against. The blue line angel in the tank looks absolutely fine.

Not sure what's going on but hopefully she continues to improve. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

DSC09952.JPG

DSC09941.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aquarist76

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to report that after 72hrs of "ICU" care the Fem wrasse is back to her old self. Swimming around with her buddy. Not sure why she almost died but made it through. Again, this is why they are considered difficult/expert fish.

Since I already have another fish named Lazarus who came back from practically being dead, the Fem wrasse will now be known as Anastasia (coming from the Greek word anástasis, meaning "resurrection").

Bill Urbanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't consider yourself out of the woods yet. Is she eating? Still only the Mastik? You need to add an Interuptus Angel to your list, LOL

OP
OP
Aquarist76

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't consider yourself out of the woods yet. Is she eating? Still only the Mastik? You need to add an Interuptus Angel to your list, LOL
She's eating Mysis, blood worms, and Masstick (I haven't tried any other foods because she's doing great with those). Also, you're never "out of the woods" with these types of fish. At least not for 6mo I'd say.

Maybe one day on the Interruptus. As of now I've not spent more than about $1500 on a single fish.

Last edited:

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to drop by and say I've been following this thread and impressed by your commitment and care and touch of craziness. I would never attempt to bring stuff to HI its a nightmare. Thankfully you are not an ignorant individual in regards to the nightmare.

I also think Diver's Den and LiveAquaria are showing how great their business is. I've been a customer since my teens and they're a great resource to us in the hobby looking for these types of special specimens. Or normal supplies we need like Salt!

Hopefully your new home in HI has room for a concrete slab to be poured to house a shiny new aquarium.

Lastly, they might want a plan for your wastewater. I encountered this in regards to a property in Florida. All the regulatory folks said even if I wasn't within the realm if needing a plan, having one would potentially help approval for livestock and other things. This property was a private island and only a foot or so above the water at high tide some places so it was funky. If they're (Hawaii) concerned about biocontamination wastewater being taken care of may make things easier for them to approve.

Are you monitoring O2 levels in your QT tanks? Its something that probably was not an issue, but occasionally happens with these types of tanks.

-Andrew

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back