ok- only thing left is to empty tank completely and soak rock in acid- phophates still 0.90

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acrylic tank is not ruined. It may need to have precipitate cleaned from it, if it is clouded with solids.

I'm not sure how much phosphate to expect to still be in the water as a lot likely precipitated as magnesium and calcium phosphate, independent of the Seakler additions.
the ULR hanna still reads 0.90 even when i dilute the sample to be test 8mls rodo and 2mls tank water..ugh!!

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the exact same thing. was dosing through my top off and had a leak in my pressue line under the house. My phosphates jumped to 2.5 ppm! I just increased my AWC system and waited it out. Taken three months but starting to get a handle on it. Tank has never looked better when only issue is the constant cleaning of the glass. The Dragons breath in the refugium is growing like mad! has slowed SPS growth a bit. Tangs and snails seem very happy ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ULR hanna still reads 0.90 even when i dilute the sample to be test 8mls rodo and 2mls tank water..ugh!!

If the water is still cloudy at all, you may get false high readings as the solids dissolve in the acid of the test.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything is alive , even the LPS are thriving ( the one frogspawn frag i have ) :) and all 20 fishes. Thanks to all, ill keep dripping the LC into filter socks , today i am boosting the LC to 30ml a day... eventually it will be back to 0.05
Have you thought of using phosbond? It’s a bit more expensive than phosguard but comes in almost silica like pellets that you put in a pouch. It absorbs phosphates like no other! I had phosphates at like 2.5 and within 1 day of using my phosphates became undetectable. For under 20$ for a jar, it might be worth a shot.

You’d have to use a little over a half cup and might help with water changes because the rocks will keep leaching phosphate last out AS this stuff absorbs it! It worked really well for me to fix the equilibrium in my tank so I could have a now successful refugium. :)

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of using phosbond? It’s a bit more expensive than phosguard but comes in almost silica like pellets that you put in a pouch. It absorbs phosphates like no other! I had phosphates at like 2.5 and within 1 day of using my phosphates became undetectable. For under 20$ for a jar, it might be worth a shot.

You’d have to use a little over a half cup and might help with water changes because the rocks will keep leaching phosphate last out AS this stuff absorbs it! It worked really well for me to fix the equilibrium in my tank so I could have a now successful refugium. :)

thanks for the suggestion but i think the lanthanum chloride is way stronger at bonding phosphate at a much lower cost

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 micron filter socks
This might be the reason you are seeing a cloudy tank. With the amount of phosphate you have in your system, you’re socks filtration ability is probably being exhausted within a matter of hours (meaning you will need to replace them or they are pretty much useless) Also are you runing a skimmer?That’s why I suggested something like the phosbond, once the silica beads are exhausted they (turn a dark yellow brown which is visible) they don’t leach the po4 back into the system. :)

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be the reason you are seeing a cloudy tank. With the amount of phosphate you have in your system, you’re socks filtration ability is probably being exhausted within a matter of hours (meaning you will need to replace them or they are pretty much useless) Also are you runing a skimmer?That’s why I suggested something like the phosbond, once the silica beads are exhausted they (turn a dark yellow brown which is visible) they don’t leach the po4 back into the system. :)
yes, i change with a new filter sock every couple hours and yes i am running skimmer, thanks :)

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still at .9ppm. Dripping another 30ML today tomorrow I will do 90 gallon water change

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy,should i remove all the old rock and do the BIG water change and then add the new real reef rock without the old rock?

Back