Ok so I’ve looked and can’t get a answer lol

The_Barrs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve looked around and can’t find an exact answer I’m looking for so here’s my questions the wife said I can only have 1 more tank so Ive been thinking of either doing a dwarf octopus tank or a BTA tank with a bunch of clowns,.
And while thinking about this, I wanted to know can I put a dwarf octopus with bta? (No clowns of course)
I know there not reef safe but would they be fine together?? I don’t see why not just honestly not to sure, I had a dwarf octopus before so I know all the care that come with it was just hoping I could get my cake and eat it too with this time around!!
Thanks in advance.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve looked around and can’t find an exact answer I’m looking for so here’s my questions the wife said I can only have 1 more tank so Ive been thinking of either doing a dwarf octopus tank or a BTA tank with a bunch of clowns,.
And while thinking about this, I wanted to know can I put a dwarf octopus with bta? (No clowns of course)
I know there not reef safe but would they be fine together?? I don’t see why not just honestly not to sure, I had a dwarf octopus before so I know all the care that come with it was just hoping I could get my cake and eat it too with this time around!!
Thanks in advance.
This would not likely work well. Chances are the either the octopus will die from the BTA, or vice versa.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on what?
Octopus can't see well, they may bump into the nems with ease. They can't even be kept with some corals - anemones are far more harmful.
On the flip side -
Octopus consume inverts, with a lack of proper inverts or confusion they may try to consume a BTA, maybe that is fine, I do not know, but it would kill the BTA either way. You are welcome to try and experiment with it, but the outcome is unlikely to be a success imo.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I thought that might be a chance just not sure how that would happen? So kinda curious
I do not have much experience with octopus, but I have an understanding and have observed the species for some time.
I have over 15 years experience with BTA's, they don't play nice with weak creatures. Sure one BTA might be fine for a while, but a tank covered in BTA's will render the octopus useless, and ultimately dead.

OP
OP
The_Barrs_Reef

The_Barrs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octopus can't see well, they may bump into the nems with ease. They can't even be kept with some corals - anemones are far more harmful.
On the flip side -
Octopus consume inverts, with a lack of proper inverts or confusion they may try to consume a BTA, maybe that is fine, I do not know, but it would kill the BTA either way. You are welcome to try and experiment with it, but the outcome is unlikely to be a success imo.
I would hate to do it just to experiment, definitely don’t want to put anything though anything that would be bad just curious.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st thought, are both species cared for in the same manner, thriving within the same tank conditions. I don't know that much about bta's but their light requiremenrs would be way too high for the comfort of the octopus. I don't think you would keep the water quality to the needs of the bta and the curiousity of the octpus would most certainly get him stung.

OP
OP
The_Barrs_Reef

The_Barrs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st thought, are both species cared for in the same manner, thriving within the same tank conditions. I don't know that much about bta's but their light requiremenrs would be way too high for the comfort of the octopus. I don't think you would keep the water quality to the needs of the bta and the curiousity of the octpus would most certainly get him stung.
You are absolutely correct on the lighting, didn’t even think about that.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back