Ok so I think I have a Caramell shrimp

Bravoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think this is a caramel shrimp and I think it ate my Holy grail micromussa twice

D0A9C338-8460-4954-9D6F-AC5A2806C21E.jpeg

this is what it looked like last night to this morning so I thinking something ate it or can it die that fast
4908179E-5170-4A9E-85AC-4352C47DE4DF.jpeg

This morning
28762315-A171-4C91-8A6D-3012822BF98C.jpeg

This is my peppermint shrimp I guessing in the the background
FA88C310-2793-409A-A16C-D46102034F9F.jpeg

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're referring to CAMEL shrimp, that is definitely not one. Camels have a much more serious hump to their tail (hence the name) and thicker, intensely white bars, along with larger claws (in males) and a thicker, longer rostrum (snout).
1632801648717.png

See the difference?

In any case, the name "peppermint shrimp" refers to multiple species in the genus Lysmata, so yes that is a peppermint, even if it looks different from your others. If he's eating your fleshy corals, he's hungry. I know that sounds obvious, but if you don't feed enough for the shrimp to scavenge what the fish don't eat, they're going to eat what's around. That's why they're good at eating Aiptasia.

At the same time, it's possible the coral was already dying, and that's why he potentially scavenged the flesh. In that first picture of the coral, the flesh is receding into the skeleton, so something it bothering it, whether that be water chemistry or the shrimp, it's not a super healthy looking coral.

My advice, feed your shrimp and check your parameters. If the parameters are good and your shrimp eats a lot when you feed, then maybe you just got unlucky with this specific peppermint; I've seen it happen. Best of luck.

SillyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're referring to CAMEL shrimp, that is definitely not one. Camels have a much more serious hump to their tail (hence the name) and thicker, intensely white bars, along with larger claws (in males) and a thicker, longer rostrum (snout).
1632801648717.png

See the difference?

In any case, the name "peppermint shrimp" refers to multiple species in the genus Lysmata, so yes that is a peppermint, even if it looks different from your others. If he's eating your fleshy corals, he's hungry. I know that sounds obvious, but if you don't feed enough for the shrimp to scavenge what the fish don't eat, they're going to eat what's around. That's why they're good at eating Aiptasia.

At the same time, it's possible the coral was already dying, and that's why he potentially scavenged the flesh. In that first picture of the coral, the flesh is receding into the skeleton, so something it bothering it, whether that be water chemistry or the shrimp, it's not a super healthy looking coral.

My advice, feed your shrimp and check your parameters. If the parameters are good and your shrimp eats a lot when you feed, then maybe you just got unlucky with this specific peppermint; I've seen it happen. Best of luck.
Ya what they said lol

OP
OP
Bravoman

Bravoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1632801648717.png

See the difference?

Well I thought my shrimp were feed but your right I feed my fish and they came out with lights on. Usually I don’t see them till light go down

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back