Ok tell me everything I need to go LED please!

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know anything about leds but i want a fixture for my 12 gal frag tank and i have no clue how/what/were to get one(right size)?

Triggerman77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kraylen

I think the Coral colour looks best under LEDs. The Cree XR-E Q5 has the perfect growth spectrum. Mixed with a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio of Royal blue at 455nM you cant go wrong. Both My chalices and SPS look better under LEDs than radiums. The only thing that will compete is T5 and replacing 8 bulbs every 9 months gets expensive.

Selective use of optics will be able to highlight the areas you need. For larger tanks using keeps the light off the acrylic and less cleaning:)

Here is a shot of my tank under LEDs

DSC_0020.jpg

Bill

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I think it is gorgeous! I still have no idea what to do though!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HAHA! I think I will do all three!

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kraylen

To be honest I'm a pilot and need a set up that runs itself. As I skip town for days on end. I refuse to baby sit my tank 2 hours a day as some do. I simply dont have the time. I only enjoy it and find the most challenging thing is keeping the glass clean and deciding which average corals to trim.

I cant worry about the AC failing and MH heat nuking my tank or a chiller blowing a fuse, and I can never have certain fish because I feed once a day and if I'm gone who knows if the kid ever shows up to feed my fish.

I've compared the Cree XR-E 3watt LED colour to the best combo of T5 and found the looks a draw in my book with a slight edge to an 8 T5 fixtures with 2 fiji purple T5 bulbs in the mix. I've also compared Sanjays MH tests and spectrum to LEDs and if you have the right LED combo...LEDs win every time. Unless you want UV and you can add that LED.

5 years from now the majority of lights, aquarium lights and including street lights (government is broke and will have no choice but to use them) will be either LED or plasma.

Bill

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back