OK to add bacterial products (Microbacter7, biospira, Dr. Tim's etc.) with Copper and medication?

techytechguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am running a small QT tank (10 gallon) with two clownfish and one green chromis. It is struggle to keep ammonia in check and constantly doing water changes or tank transfers. I have read some contradictory stuff on adding bacterial products like Microbacter7, biospira, Dr. Tim's etc. I have read that at leat for some medications it is not OK to add these products to the QT because they will reduce effectiveness/concentration of medications. Probably should have had less fish / bigger cycled tank but too late for that now.

So, I wanted to check is it OK to add the bacterial products with

1) copper
2) Metro
3) Prazipro
4) antibiotics
5) others?

@Humblefish and other if you can opine. Thanks

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes its fine to add with any of those also if you are using copper power you should dose prime along with it which will neutralize ammonia but only use it with copper power not cupramine

OP
OP
T

techytechguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I am using Copper Power so I can add Prime but I understand that is more of an emergency solution.

So, I can dose a little bit of Microbacter7 daily to keep the nitrification process going?

Others, do you concur?

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I am using Copper Power so I can add Prime but I understand that is more of an emergency solution.

So, I can dose a little bit of Microbacter7 daily to keep the nitrification process going?

Others, do you concur?
yes you can dose microbacter7 but if you are having problems with your ammonia in QT dosing prime will help a great deal

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity do you have any seeded media? Sponge ? Rock?

If you did your ammonia wouldn't be an issue - but if no seeded media then yes dose the beneficial bacteria the population will catch up

OP
OP
T

techytechguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, seeded media. At least, not from a disease-free tank but I do plan on starting another tank with HOB filter and foam insert.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, seeded media. At least, not from a disease-free tank but I do plan on starting another tank with HOB filter and foam insert.
Typically what I do is keep a small piece of heavy sponge or dense floss in my sump or rear chamber so that when it's time to QT I pull that seeded media out and run in my QT for a day or two while dosing beneficial bacteria before introducing fish.

For now you'll need to dose heavily and continue those water changes.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am running a small QT tank (10 gallon) with two clownfish and one green chromis. It is struggle to keep ammonia in check and constantly doing water changes or tank transfers. I have read some contradictory stuff on adding bacterial products like Microbacter7, biospira, Dr. Tim's etc. I have read that at leat for some medications it is not OK to add these products to the QT because they will reduce effectiveness/concentration of medications. Probably should have had less fish / bigger cycled tank but too late for that now.

So, I wanted to check is it OK to add the bacterial products with

1) copper
2) Metro
3) Prazipro
4) antibiotics
5) others?

@Humblefish and other if you can opine. Thanks
In all of my quarantine tanks, I've dosed microbacter 7 without any issues. I just make sure to aerate heavily (airstones, hob filter, wavemaker pointed to the surface) to avoid any potential bacterial blooms.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back