Ok to cut Maxspect Gyre cable closer to the Powerhead and add a quick connect?

Rick's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have 2 Maxspect Gyre 250s on either side of my 150g tank mounted vertically on the back wall corners. The way the pumps are oriented, there is only about 9” of cable in the tank and then the cables go down the back of the stand and through a bit of a rats nest of cabling and plumbing to IceCap controllers underneath.

This means to clean them, I must disconnect under the stand and fish the cables through the back and out of the canopy because the quick disconnects are at the end of the cord that plus in near the controllers.

What I would like to do is cut the cords much closer to the end of the powerhead and splice in a connector. This sounds simple as it should be a simple DC current, but is there any impact from the tiny bit of increases impedance that could result? And if not, does anyone know if Maxspect sells the factory quick connects anywhere?

Wayward Fortunes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar setup on mine and have thought about doing the same. I don't see anything like that from them directly and I highly suspect it would instantly void the warranty. I don't plan on cutting mine while in warranty.

That being said I don't see (if done properly) why it would be a problem. I'm picturing a waterproof connector similar to the end of the cable coming from the pump. Sealed very nicely on the back of the connector and cut such that the new connector sits outside the canopy.

So long as the motor a resistance of at least around 10 ohms I don't see adding a fraction of that would cause a significant voltage drop in the cable.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the extension cables for my gyres just for this purpose.
I have an equipment cabinet next to the tank with all of my controllers inside including the Ice Cap modules. Connected the extension cables to the pumps keeping the excess cord neatly together inside the cabinet and ran the connection point onto the top of my canopy where I can disconnect the cable and remove the pumps for cleaning.
The extension cables also helped with a clean install on a six foot tank with Exterior cabinet for all equipment.
Did the same thing with my Varios return pumps.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have 2 Maxspect Gyre 250s on either side of my 150g tank mounted vertically on the back wall corners. The way the pumps are oriented, there is only about 9” of cable in the tank and then the cables go down the back of the stand and through a bit of a rats nest of cabling and plumbing to IceCap controllers underneath.

This means to clean them, I must disconnect under the stand and fish the cables through the back and out of the canopy because the quick disconnects are at the end of the cord that plus in near the controllers.

What I would like to do is cut the cords much closer to the end of the powerhead and splice in a connector. This sounds simple as it should be a simple DC current, but is there any impact from the tiny bit of increases impedance that could result? And if not, does anyone know if Maxspect sells the factory quick connects anywhere?

Hi. Did you ever do this DIY quick disconnect? I’m actually looking to extend my wires for my XF330s.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a few years ago. Makes cleaning so much easier!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 24

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 3 pin connector. Didn’t use any outside wire. Cut, spliced and soldered. Can’t remember the actual name of the connector. I got the connector idea from when I had a GHL mitras light. They used the same one.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reviewing this video:

I have a gyre xf330 that I might sacrifice to cut into the wires to find the gauge and configuration.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back