Ok to put carbon in one bag and GFO in another in the same media basket?

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok to put carbon in one bag and GFO in another in the same media basket?

Just curious what people thought
Trying to get my phosphates down a bit

robocop1906

Erick McLemore
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You functionally can but it wouldn't be wise. GFO should be allowed to tumble where possible vs. Carbon should be compacted to prevent grinding. Plus, depending on the Carbon, one will expire before the other. This all depends on your bio load which to know for sure you'd have to test PO3 for the life span of GFO and do a white bucket color test for Carbon. When your water starts to yellow then carbon needs to be replaced.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very little GFO to carbon ratio. Ferrous oxide (GFO) is very strong stuff

Dexter_SA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gfo in a bag imo is a waste...one get much better results when it tumbles.

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You functionally can but it wouldn't be wise. GFO should be allowed to tumble where possible vs. Carbon should be compacted to prevent grinding. Plus, depending on the Carbon, one will expire before the other. This all depends on your bio load which to know for sure you'd have to test PO3 for the life span of GFO and do a white bucket color test for Carbon. When your water starts to yellow then carbon needs to be replaced.

This is why I use Phosguard, which is aluminium oxide instead of GFO. Phosgaurd doesn't need tumbling and can be used along with activated carbon, either mixed in or in separate bags(which I recommend for ease of maintenance). I initially set up a GFO reactor but moved on to using Phosgaurd in a media bag due to space constraints and ease of use.

Back