Old Prime and Cupramine

feeeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks - I am preparing to quarantine some fish in the next 24 hours. I have filled my small QT with about 2.5 gallons of water from my DT and 2.5 gallons from my new RO/DI system mixed with salt. Since I just got my RO, about 80% of the water in my DT was previously treated with prime (since I only did a 20% change in my 75 g DT when i got my RO). I plan to use cupramine for the QT, therefore should i start over my QT using 100% RO water since my DT was previously treated with prime? Keep in mind, no prime has been added to the DT in about 2 weeks. Would the prime still be active in that water and in turn make the copper more Dangerous?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks - I am preparing to quarantine some fish in the next 24 hours. I have filled my small QT with about 2.5 gallons of water from my DT and 2.5 gallons from my new RO/DI system mixed with salt. Since I just got my RO, about 80% of the water in my DT was previously treated with prime (since I only did a 20% change in my 75 g DT when i got my RO). I plan to use cupramine for the QT, therefore should i start over my QT using 100% RO water since my DT was previously treated with prime? Keep in mind, no prime has been added to the DT in about 2 weeks. Would the prime still be active in that water and in turn make the copper more Dangerous?
It could still be in water. What tests are you seeing? Example higher ammonia than normal in dt? This could point out that there still is prime left over.

OP
OP
F

feeeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. Ammonia reads at zero in DT. Still, I think I am going to scrap the water in the QT. The problem though is that I am out of salt. So would I be able to put the fish I plan to Quarantine in saltwater created that day?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a problem with that if you held off on copper. I stand by that though why risk it over 5 gallons. Not good to mix conditioners with other things.

OP
OP
F

feeeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you DrZoidburg. I am going to use brand new saltwater that I will make tomorrow (since i will pick up salt at lfs when i get the fish) and place the fish in there. I am planning on starting the copper treatment after a day of observation

OP
OP
F

feeeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One
Thank you DrZoidburg. I am going to use brand new saltwater that I will make tomorrow (since i will pick up salt at lfs when i get the fish) and place the fish in there. I am planning on starting the copper treatment after a day of observation
One more stupid question - my filter in the QT uses a sponge that is seeded from my
DT which would have also had prime on it. So is that no good to use in my QT?

Bluegreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this and have two marine bettas that have been in a 20 gallon QT for one week after a parasite wiped out the rest of the DT. I didn't realize that Cupramine and Prime couldn't be used together. After a 25% water change yesterday, I added 36 drops of Cupramine (registered 0.03 ppm on a Hannah Checker) and 2 mL of Prime. What should I do? The fish seemed fine this morning.

Back