old rock that has been outside

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some rock from an old tank, it's been outside uncovered for almost a year on a glass table. I wasn't going to do another tank but I have bought a 72 rimless. is there a chance that I can use that rock (if pressure washed) or is it wasted?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same question here. Ive had rocks sitting in the direct Miami heat/sun for over a year now in a bucket. Wonder if its safe to use..

There no way anything is alive on it

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used aquarium setup, including rock that had been outside for a year. It had been covered with hair algae according to the seller, but it looked white and clean. It was in fact nasty and I soaked it in saltwater for a couple months with partial water changes.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Re-using old rock is a pretty popular subject these days, with the expense of new rock and just getting new rock.
There are not as many places these days.

I've recycled old rock with some success.
You do have several choices, but it does depend on how the rock was when you pulled it out of the last tank it was in.
If it was in bad shape with hair algae or bryopsis, or other algaes, or other unwanted organic matter, I would do a bleach or even a vinegar soak. Bleach will work fastest.
If it was in good shape, maybe just a scrub brush and the garden hose or power washer.
Then in a tub with saltwater and a bacteria product. Test.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I do is soak the rock in a 10 to 1 gallon bleach solution for a day. Then I soak the rock for 24 hours in freshwater with ammolock for a day. Then let it dry in the sun for a week or so.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had rock outside for 4 months and felt with the frequent rain we got, it received several baths.
recently I had to use some to build a shelf in tank and . . . .

Placed it in washing machine AND . . . . . No washing machine- gotcha !!!

I rinsed it in ro with salt mix for 48 hrs and rinsed in fresh water and placed in tank - NO issues

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was nasty then simply scrub it off , then cycle it in a small spare aquarium. It may take awhile if there is dead organics inside the rock ( dead bacteria snails pods ect )

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was nasty then simply scrub it off , then cycle it in a small spare aquarium. It may take awhile if there is dead organics inside the rock ( dead bacteria snails pods ect )
Pretty much this ^^^
I bought a bunch of dry rock a few years ago but my tank was a false start. Partially due to my distractions (remodeling the house, etc), partially because a bum refractometer made my salinity wacky.

Anyways, it got cycled, but no fish lasted very long, I got dispirited and I just stopped caring for it. I ended up just turning everything off and it slowly evaporated about 90% of the water out and sat for a couple years.

When I got re-inspired, I sucked out all the water I could and filled it up with RODI, then did about an 80% water change, then another 50% getting it where the salinity should really be. Anyways, it seems to have cycled fine now and has 3 fish and 4 snails in it, all happy.

More thoroughly: I've heard plenty of people folllowing a method like Melev's and I'm sure you'd have reasonable results. find his video here, credit to @melev .

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back