Old Salt Jumping back in Head First (IM Ext 75g Nuvo Build)

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Little background on me. I am kind of old salt. I started reefing about 25yrs ago when I was in high school.

Started with 29g tank and end up with 700g inwall mixed reef tank (8'x4'x2') before I decided to step away from the hobby 7 years ago. When my kids where small and I wanted to dedicate my time to them instead of my tank. Also, at the time I getting tired of taking care of such large tank. Doing 120g water changes with buckets took forever.. o_O

Just kidding.. I had the sump tied to the landry sink so, it was just had to turn a few ball valves. So I decided to give it up and sell everything.

But now my kids are older and no longer needs me (actually the don't want me around anymore..:(). I thought, what about pick up a hobby. How about stamping collecting (too boring), golfing (I actually suck) and biking (didn't want to be run over). I got it, Reefing!! This was a discussion I had with my wife. At first, she said "NO". Then a few weeks of persistance and the promise not to get anything bigger than a nano did the trick. But I ordered a 75g tank instead (easier to ask forgive later..;))

So, I decide to document my journey back into the hobby..

By the way.. here is pic of my 700g reef before taking it down..
Tank06-103.jpg

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also.. the last few weeks I have been researching the new technology and slowly picking new reefing equipment.

Some things have stayed the same, but a lot has changed.

Things that have changed:
1) What happened to MH/T5 combos. That was the thing 7 years ago.
2) No one used Beckett skimmers anymore? (They were loud and took pretty powerful pump)
3) Trident Method (All for more automation)
4) BRSTV (Actually been binge-watching videos, Very informative)
5) The roller filter.. (I had to get one for my new reef tank)

Things that stayed the same:
1) Best way to get equipment for the reef tank is by checking selling forums on R2R. I the good old days, I hardly bought new.
2) Reefers are still really helpful and mostly honest.
3) Good old Ca Reactor is still around.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok.. been a while since my last update.

I got the tank in and set up the stand. I was impressed with the build quality of the tank. The stand was very easy to put together and looks great. I was originally worried about the sturdiness of the stand, but it seems to be solid. Really only took 15 mins to put it together. And guess what, they have the stand in white now.

I like the the look of white stand much better than the stand black stand.
IMG_0260.jpg
IMG_0260.jpg
IMG_0261.jpg
IMG_0261.jpg

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following - Also took some time off (10 years) and my how things have changed. Now "dirty water" is all the rage....which I'm still trying to wrap my head around with my new build ( Cade 900 ) - Happy Reefing

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took about 10 years off myself and I am glad to see the automation with phones now and pervasive LED usage.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Following - Also took some time off (10 years) and my how things have changed. Now "dirty water" is all the rage....which I'm still trying to wrap my head around with my new build ( Cade 900 ) - Happy Reefing
Ha ha.. I have been reading how people are trying to keep their Phospate and Nitrates up. I remember when people use to have issue keeping them down.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I took about 10 years off myself and I am glad to see the automation with phones now and pervasive LED usage.
I totally agree. One reason I got out of the hobby was the fact, I had to manually change each device. Now I can use my phone to set everything.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, I added a guard for the outlet to make sure water doesn't splash on it. Since the outlet is right behind the tank.
IMG_0276.jpg

I was a little paranoid of sitting the tank on top of my nice hardwood floors. Also, my wife would kill me if I damage the floors. ;Blackeye

So, I decided to put down a clear PVC mat to protect the floor. Got it from Amazon rolled up. PITA to get it wrinkle-free. Took some heavy objects and a heat gun. Had t move the tank to get the mat down.;)
IMG_0321.jpg

After I got the mat down, I put the tank back and worked on getting the pvc bottom on. I went ahead and silicone the rim of the stand bottom. Another measure to keep the floors dry. I can't state how mad my wife would be it I damaged the floors.. o_O

Not my best silicone job, but it works and mostly won't be seen. ;)

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, build a sump from leftover acrylic that I had laying around. All I had was 1/2" and 3/8", so the sump was build like a tank. It is 24"x18"x16"h. It will hold about 30g of water.

Just FYI.. to those who stored acrylic in your garage, either take the acrylic protective tape off first or make sure it doesn't get wet. It took me longer to get the protective tape off the acrylic than it took me to build the sump. It was such a PITA. I was about to throw away the acrylic and buy a sump. :mad:

Until I saw the price of new sumps and I came to my sense. I decide to finish the sump.. ;)

I will be integrating a Bubble Master fleece roller into the sump. Don't want to deal with filter socks. One new invention I am really happy to see. Decided to plumb it directly into the sump with a 1.5" uni-seal. Also, had to modify the BM fleece roller, since it came with 1" input. Took me 15 mins with a Dremel.

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back!!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! Very nice setup!!

I came back to the hobby in 2018 from a 10 year break as well. A lot has changed but I feel for the better. However, there are still techniques and equipment from a decade ago that is still relevant today.

Glad to have another local in the area. I live about 5 minutes from the Concord Mills Mall.

What do you plan on keeping? I keep only SPS. Let me know when your tank is up and running and ready for some test frags. I will hook you up!

Josh

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome back! Very nice setup!!

I came back to the hobby in 2018 from a 10 year break as well. A lot has changed but I feel for the better. However, there are still techniques and equipment from a decade ago that is still relevant today.

Glad to have another local in the area. I live about 5 minutes from the Concord Mills Mall.

What do you plan on keeping? I keep only SPS. Let me know when your tank is up and running and ready for some test frags. I will hook you up!

Josh
Hey Josh.. thanks for the warm welcome.

I am in South Charlotte (Near the Ballantyne area). Concord Mills is about 35 mins away, up I-485.

Planning for a mixed reef with SPS on top and LPS/some softies on the bottom. I appreciate the offer and will probably take you up on it.

Thanks.. Nathan

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Josh.. thanks for the warm welcome.

I am in South Charlotte (Near the Ballantyne area). Concord Mills is about 35 mins away, up I-485.

Planning for a mixed reef with SPS on top and LPS/some softies on the bottom. I appreciate the offer and will probably take you up on it.

Thanks.. Nathan

Absolutely. I am sure I will have plenty available whenever you are ready.

I don't know if I missed it but what lighting are you planning on using?

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Absolutely. I am sure I will have plenty available whenever you are ready.

I don't know if I missed it but what lighting are you planning on using?
Oh.. I am planning to use a single Kessil AP9X.. I am complete with the mounting arm and should have pics soon..

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry for the long breaks between updates. Life gets in the way of the hobby.. ;)

Got the cover built and installed. Decide to go with a screen cover since not planning on a canopy. Pick up the cover from Innovative Marine. Easy to set up and got installed in about 45 mins. Highly recommend the screen cover. Just FYI it helped that I had a chop saw.

IMG_0263.jpg

Also added a net little 3D printed feeding port. Prevents me from removing the screen for feedings.

IMG_0265.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back