• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Old School Chalice Mother Colonies - Tyree Aquascene Goldeneye and OG Mummy Eye - will ship!

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi,
I have two mother colonies on 3" XL tiles I have been growing out for awhile. These were my back-up colonies while I re-configured my tanks but I made new back-ups so I'm putting these up for sale.

The Aquascene Goldeneye is one of the nicest watermelon type chalices ever to come through. Tyree lost his years ago and there aren't a whole lot of these out there with verified lineage. I've been growing this coral in my tanks for 15 years. This tile mounted colony piece has been growing for over a year. Watermelon chalices in general are much less common now and the price has held very constant for years. Other watermelon chalices from retailers are 3/4-1" frags for $30-100+ depending on type/hype. Note also that many retailers are out of stock on watermelon type chalices.

The second piece is an OG Mummy Eye which I've also been growing for many years. This is perhaps less exciting than the Aquascene above, but they still command a very decent price for frags and it is rare indeed that you see a fully tank grown colony offered for sale. Current prices for frags are $40-60 for 3/4-1" at online retailers (and/or here and ebay) that have it in stock.

*I am selling both tile mounted colonies together as a package deal. I also have two additional smaller mini-colonies of the Aquascene available.

I have many years of stellar feedback here and elsewhere and the last few times I offered mini-colony pieces they went very quickly. I am happy to ship (I have insulated boxes and proper packaging materials) if needed.

-Both mother colonies (Aquascene + OG Mummy) on 3" XL tiles (each 30+ eyes) for $500 $450 total plus actual shipping SHIPPED lower-48 states
-mini-colony on left of bottom pic, 10+ eyes for $140 plus actual shipping SOLD
-mini-colony on right of bottom pic, 20+ eyes for $230 $200 plus actual shipping

The pricing is reflective of number of eyes and size with the larger pieces being less per eye (and significantly so by size than retail).

The reality is you could chop these up and even at conservative numbers have an immediate profit, or likewise, if you are building a special home reef you have an opportunity on some show pieces that you simply cannot buy at a store.

Thanks for looking!
-Ed

Current primary mother colony pic (taken 06/14/21, T5+radion+natural sunlight) - not for sale; shown as example of full extent of color:

Aquascene mother colony nfs.jpg

Example pic of a piece I was growing out years ago under Radium MH (not for sale; for color reference also):

Aquascenegoldeneye radium 400.jpg

Aquascene mother colony on tile being offered for sale (pic taken last night 06/14/21 under blue reefbrite and partial T5; pic not great but colony is super healthy and growing well!):

Aquascene mother on tile fs.jpg

OG Mummy Eye mother colony mounted on tile currently offered for sale:

OG mummy mother on tile fs.jpg

Additional mini-colonies of Aquascene currently offered for sale (pic also from last night 06/14 - different tank, led only):

aquascene minicolonies.jpg

Last edited:

thomaskc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have two mother colonies on 3" XL tiles I have been growing out for awhile. These were my back-up colonies while I re-configured my tanks but I made new back-ups so I'm putting these up for sale.

The Aquascene Goldeneye is one of the nicest watermelon type chalices ever to come through. Tyree lost his years ago and there aren't a whole lot of these out there with verified lineage. I've been growing this coral in my tanks for 15 years. This tile mounted colony piece has been growing for over a year. Watermelon chalices in general are much less common now and the price has held very constant for years. Other watermelon chalices from retailers are 3/4-1" frags for $30-100+ depending on type/hype. Note also that many retailers are out of stock on watermelon type chalices.

The second piece is an OG Mummy Eye which I've also been growing for many years. This is perhaps less exciting than the Aquascene above, but they still command a very decent price for frags and it is rare indeed that you see a fully tank grown colony offered for sale. Current prices for frags are $40-60 for 3/4-1" at online retailers (and/or here and ebay) that have it in stock.

*I am selling both tile mounted colonies together as a package deal. I also have two additional smaller mini-colonies of the Aquascene available.

I have many years of stellar feedback here and elsewhere and the last few times I offered mini-colony pieces they went very quickly. I am happy to ship (I have insulated boxes and proper packaging materials) if needed.

-Both mother colonies (Aquascene + OG Mummy) on 3" XL tiles (each 30+ eyes) for $500 total plus actual shipping
-mini-colony on left of bottom pic, 10+ eyes for $140 plus actual shipping
-mini-colony on right of bottom pic, 20+ eyes for $230 plus actual shipping

The pricing is reflective of number of eyes and size with the larger pieces being less per eye (and significantly so by size than retail).

The reality is you could chop these up and even at conservative numbers have an immediate profit, or likewise, if you are building a special home reef you have an opportunity on some show pieces that you simply cannot buy at a store.

Thanks for looking!
-Ed

Current primary mother colony pic (taken 06/14/21, T5+radion+natural sunlight) - not for sale; shown as example of full extent of color:

Aquascene mother colony nfs.jpg

Example pic of a piece I was growing out years ago under Radium MH (not for sale; for color reference also):

Aquascenegoldeneye radium 400.jpg

Aquascene mother colony on tile being offered for sale (pic taken last night 06/14/21 under blue reefbrite and partial T5; pic not great but colony is super healthy and growing well!):

Aquascene mother on tile fs.jpg

OG Mummy Eye mother colony mounted on tile currently offered for sale:

OG mummy mother on tile fs.jpg

Additional mini-colonies of Aquascene currently offered for sale (pic also from last night 06/14 - different tank, led only):

aquascene minicolonies.jpg
Good write up. I like the extra effort. Thumbs up.

OP
OP
acro-ed

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've had some questions on shipping.

I am now offering the 2 larger colonies on tiles for a total of $500 $450 shipped!

(lower-48 states; I reserve the right to change these terms if you live in some odd-ball place that has an unusually high quote or unavailability of Priority Overnight, etc.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
acro-ed

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
One mini-colony gone. Lots of interest but still have the others. I knocked the prices down a little. Shoot me a message soon otherwise I'll end up chopping these up myself and selling locally.

I've also had some inquiries about meeting in person. I can meet anywhere between Gainesville/Orlando/Tampa; we just need to coordinate in advance. I travel within that area quite regularly.

Thanks!
Ed

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back