Old skimmer worth using? New pump vrs new technology

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
technology has changed so much in the last 10 years.... is this skimmer worth cleaning and buying a new pump? Or in your opinion should I just get a new one? I'm in the planning stage of a 50 gallon tank. 1" plumbing if that matters.

Any suggestions on a new pump would be great!

Reef on!

20191212_213545.jpg

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running the same skimmer in my 100 gal sps tank. Sicce psk600 pump I believe. I love the old school reefdynamics skimmers. I think you can find Jeff on face book to have him make you the right pump and fittings to get it running.

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what it needs. I believe the brand is Euro Reef. Paid $400 for it 10 years ago I believe.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what it needs. I believe the brand is Euro Reef. Paid $400 for it 10 years ago I believe.
Frankly, while some things in the hobby have changed a lot, skimmer technology has not. I'd say bring her back to life, as others said you can use that money for something else. Sicce makes a nice pump at a reasonable price.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New skimmers just mostly look neater than old ones. Bubbles have not changed. Bubbles are bubbles. Mixing air/water is a pretty simple process. Anyone who says otherwise is drinking the koolaid to be honest. That is a personal opinion.

The qualities I find most important in a skimmer are reliability and ease of service. Some of the new skimmers look absolutely beautiful in a photo shoot without being used. But most look like a nightmare to clean, and will get covered in salt creep and stained from constant sludge exposure. Also, be mindful of brands that frequently have new models coming out and older models being discontinued. It will make pump replacement or impeller replacement a nightmare. I will never again purchase a skimmer with an internally mounted pump. External pumps are alot more flexible and can be changed as needed as long as the flow rate is appropriate for the skimmer body size. For this reason i am partial to lifereef skimmers, but I suppose at the end of the day you can apply the pump logic to any skimmer which doesnt have an internal mount

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running the same skimmer in my 100 gal sps tank. Sicce psk600 pump I believe. I love the old school reefdynamics skimmers. I think you can find Jeff on face book to have him make you the right pump and fittings to get it running.

There's alot of Jeff's out there.

Going to clean my old one and hope it fits whatever setup I get. Doesn't seem to be alot of room under the stands i see.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back