Old tank media in new sump

reeferttb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I upgraded from a canister system to the new Red Sea Reefer 350 2 months ago. To help prevent a harsh cycle I took all of the media from the old fluval and put it in the refuge section of my sump. My question is, how long are these sponges beneficial? I assume they would start causing issues after a while. Once I can remove them I am doing live sand Cheato and a light in the refuge.
30lbs of rock from the old tank came over and 30 lbs of new live rock installed when I set it up. Am I ok to get rid of the sponges and set up my refuge?

68878931-F722-4ACF-9641-9A8ED2A87366.jpeg 99312C15-FF52-49CC-8CC7-070D515D6DE2.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just set up your fuge and leave them in there, somewhere, just in case you decide to set up an instant quarantine tank. You do not need them in there though. So you could just remove, wash and store them.

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you choose to remove them, do it slowly.

There is no reason they need to be removed. All it is is additional biological filtration. I keep a few cycles sponges in my return section and one under my filter socks to always have it ready to bring up a new qt, HT, holding area.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
reeferttb

reeferttb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just set up your fuge and leave them in there, somewhere, just in case you decide to set up an instant quarantine tank. You do not need them in there though. So you could just remove, wash and store them.
I could set up the refuge and throw 2 in the section that the skimmer is in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
reeferttb

reeferttb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you choose to remove them, do it slowly.

There is no reason they need to be removed. All it is is additional biological filtration. I keep a few cycles sponges in my return section and one under my filter socks to always have it ready to bring up a new qt, HT, holding
May set up the refuge and put a few in the skimmer section. Good idea?

Upvote 0
Back