Old Tanks of 21+ years. And I need some help here...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read before about how old tanks can lose their biodiversity over time, losing strains of bacteria that are in normal reef tanks. If you look at my build thread, I did a micorbiome test this spring and was shocked at how low my diversity was. Somewhere around 10% diversiy. I added a bunch of mud and sand from IPSF, and my tank increased in diversity, up to 95%. I would recommend something along those lines to try to increase microbial diversity in your tank. Either real live rock, like the gulf stuff, or some kind of live sand directly from the ocean, not the bagged "live" sand from the shelves at Petco. Something to increase your biodiversity. I'm not going to claim that this will be the cure all for your problems, but there is certainly an argument to be made for the benefits of increased micro boidiversity. What you are describing, sounds like a bacterial bloom to me. So perhaps getting more bacteria strains in your tank will fill the niche that this bacterial bloom is currently taking. It would be interesting if you were patient enough, to do a microbiome test to see if you really are lacking in diversity, and then do a test after some sort of addition, to see if things improve.

WOW! I am a huge believer in biodiversity and micorbiome. where did you test it at? I did not know this was an option.

on a side note can you list your top 5 or so best places to get more biodiversity.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a white clearish slime outbreak a while back and everyone asked me if I was Carbon dosing. I didn't even know what carbon dosing was. I was having to change filter socks 5 times a dy. N03 went to 0. Ammonia rose for a few days. I think it was from Alcohol in hand sanitizer. The sanitizer I have been using is really thick like gel and takes forever to wash off. I think that is what did it.

I added Bactor 7 and TLC Aquarium Optimizer slime remover. I worked tank cycled back in 4 or 5 days. Lost nothing.
It happened to me after I started dosing home made nopox. I dialed back the dosing and it cleared up.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! I am a huge believer in biodiversity and micorbiome. where did you test it at? I did not know this was an option.

on a side note can you list your top 5 or so best places to get more biodiversity.
aquabiomics.com does those microbiome tests. Very cool. Eli, the guy that runs this, is on here all the time. Great guy, very knowledgeable.

I personally got my stuff from Indo Pacific Sea Farms, IPSF.com; mud and sand. I would imagine you would get similar results from any gulf rock supplier, KP, TBS, etc.... People have also bought live mud from Floridapets.com, and had good results. Those are the ones I know about, but I'm sure there are more.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a white clearish slime outbreak a while back and everyone asked me if I was Carbon dosing. I didn't even know what carbon dosing was. I was having to change filter socks 5 times a dy. N03 went to 0. Ammonia rose for a few days. I think it was from Alcohol in hand sanitizer. The sanitizer I have been using is really thick like gel and takes forever to wash off. I think that is what did it.

I added Bactor 7 and TLC Aquarium Optimizer slime remover. I worked tank cycled back in 4 or 5 days. Lost nothing.
I am ordering TLC Aquarium Optimizer now.. I have Bactor 7 32oz.. Thank you.. so so much..

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like mulm to me. It’s beneficial. Paul B’s tank is over 40 yo. He talks about it some here

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snot underneath rocks... this is one towards the top. All the christmas tree branches are just all that soft fragile snotty stuff.. it is very, very, wavy in any current at all. If I just shake the rock a little it just floats off and into the water column in both large and small pieces, AND ALOT of it in this tank.. ALOT... And them just collects in any kind of dead spot at all... I tried to take a video cant e-mail it to myself..

Snot On Rock.jpg Snoty 2nd.jpg

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like mulm to me. It’s beneficial. Paul B’s tank is over 40 yo. He talks about it some here
I checked this out the link you sent me.. I had a lot of pods larger ones Tiger..? But they disappeared about a year ago. I think my fish ate them to extinction lol. I also had thousands of those small white stars as well in my Cheato they to moved out, as I lost my cheato which is normal they say from time to time. I went without Cheato for about a year. Added it about 3 months ago.. NOW IT GROWS SO, SO FAST removing about 3 to 4 lbs plus+++..! a week no joke. Lbs and it so, so, clean! I cant sell it in MT apparently no one needs it, I would send them lbs!. I did just add 5200 AlageBarn pods about 4 days ago.. Now its just time.. I don't know if this is good the mulm, man I have a real, real lot of it... If that is what it is.. As replied to me above I just order some TLC Aquarium Optimizer bacteria to try to eat this up.. I think this is what it does. I have been adding Bactor7 as well for the last 3 days... I do have probley way to much rock.. But I just love it. Coraline algae is growing on the glass over night now... No joke just bought yesterday a Algae Free Piranha Float Plus as I had to.... Works great!!!!!!!!!!

This rock is right off the top.. I have blown into the rocks with a power head to try to knock it loose some days ago.. Man there really is a lot of it.... Trust me this is nothing compared to what is under these rocks.. Nothing at all..! Massive amounts large, large coverings of lower rocks and on top of the lower ones as well... Huge pieces... If anything is moved it comes off into the water column I want it gone. anyone please.... Is this really good...???? Oh and it sims to collect very loosely as darker gray balls? That seem to gather in any dead spot.... I think this is what is happening. A dark gray sinking loose mates of sorts..

1.jpg 2.jpg

Attachments

• Video Rock.mp4
    11.9 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you theMeat.... Just added 4 Fighting Conchs 2 in each tank yesterday and some Medatrainium Hermit Crabs as well, they are so stinkin cool. They are way larger than red or blue legs and they are so much more active. Now its just time I think..??? Anyone please help me.... Ideas..?

20201206_111003.jpg 20201206_110931.jpg

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if your tank could benefit from high flow aimed right at the rock. Perhaps the 'white snot' would not like that and either recede or let go. If it let's go you will have to change filters often.

Whatever the white stuff is, it must be a nutrient base to feed the cheato and coraline algae so much. Have you tried cutting way back on the food? If it's taking up phosphates and nitrates maybe it can be starved out?

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help so much but FWIW congrats on the tank longevity, we should be asking you for advice
Lots and Lots of good live rock to start with... I believe that is the #1 key to success and a very thick fine sand live bed.. Seriously I do believe this to be so true..

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21+ years IS crazy! Any pics we can look at to assess?
I am cleaning it now after all these years.. Just a touch up cleaning.. Adding a lot as well. I wholesaled most of my sps and most everything right now. But adding a lot more right now as well... Pictures soon.. :)

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if your tank could benefit from high flow aimed right at the rock. Perhaps the 'white snot' would not like that and either recede or let go. If it let's go you will have to change filters often.

Whatever the white stuff is, it must be a nutrient base to feed the cheato and coraline algae so much. Have you tried cutting way back on the food? If it's taking up phosphates and nitrates maybe it can be starved out?
Agreed I am changing that right now.. Thank you I needed to hear that. As I have a real lot of ROCK... Pictures soon... Thanks Rod

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not touch anything. I would not add or remove anything. I also have an old tank and the stuff growing under there also baffles me. But I wouldn't touch it.
It's probably healthy.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not touch anything. I would not add or remove anything. I also have an old tank and the stuff growing under there also baffles me. But I wouldn't touch it.
It's probably healthy.
Thanks Paul, Maybe it is good I really don't know.. All parameter's are spot on.. As they never change much at all. I am surprised someone else has this as well.. wow

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back