Older vs. Newer manufactured aquariums

Puffer Lover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are older tanks (1990s) vs newer ones made today, better/stronger? I have a 93 Perfecto that was used for a bearded dragon. It’s a 125 with only one center brace from the manufacturer with 5/8 glass panels on the side. Front and back look like 3/8. Haven’t seen a new 125 constructed like this and was wondering if I should purchase new or reseal just in case. Thoughts? Thank you!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are older tanks (1990s) vs newer ones made today, better/stronger? I have a 93 Perfecto that was used for a bearded dragon. It’s a 125 with only one center brace from the manufacturer with 5/8 glass panels on the side. Front and back look like 3/8. Haven’t seen a new 125 constructed like this and was wondering if I should purchase new or reseal just in case. Thoughts? Thank you!

Sometimes I wonder about this. The old Oceanic tanks were built like tanks. A lot of what I see today just doesn't look like it is built to last 20 or 30 years. Knocking on wood, my oceanic 75 gallon tank is 20 years old and still going.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely think the older tanks were stronger and less prone to leakage. I used probably a dozen Oceanic tanks through the 1980's and 1990's and never had one develop a leak. Some I am still using today. The only warning I would give you is that reptiles tend leave lots of scratches in the glass that really make the tank almost unusable as an aquarium. I would look at that closely.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my tanks is a Oceanic 120 that I got used from my LFS in 1988. It had been in use as their feeder goldfish tank for an unknown amount of time before that but probably 10+ years, so that one is now at least 43 years old and going strong. And by far the heaviest tank I've owned.

I had a Oceanic 60 cube that was in constant use for 22 years before I upgraded and a oceanic 150 long that made it to about 20 before I sold it. AFAIK, it's still running as well.

My current DT is a marineland 120 that I got in 2013. I fully expect it to be my last large tank, so it will hit at least 15 before I'm ready to downsize. It does not seem to be quite as well built as any of the Oceanics, but it's on a solid, level stand, so I don't expect any troubles with it either.

My QT and hospital tanks are a Aqueon 40 and 2ea 10's that I would be afraid to set up anywhere other than the basement fish room due to their abysmally thin glass, but so far, no problems from them either

Back