OldSchool 225 build with some new twists.

OP
OP
OldSchool Reefer

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascapeing ;Nailbiting so many rocks so few ideas! The old 150 had a Greek ruin theme. The non viewing walls were covered in Travertine Tile and there were some remnants of columns. I have always been interested in Greek and Roman Architecture and ruins, and as a child I would watch Jacq Cousteau diving in the Mediterranean or Red Sea and occasionally he would come across some ruins or a period ship wreck. This was the best of both worlds! Then when I first started Reefing in Germany in the early 90s I went to a shop in Nurnberg and in their main display was a large Greek Amphora sticking up out of the sand bed, the growth and encrusting on it was like it was still in the Red Sea :oops: I was geeked and hooked!
6941D03A-C901-4C5E-9E65-A89B68E82ECD.jpeg

OP
OP
OldSchool Reefer

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more saw to add to the list of saws used in this build! What to do with 12+ square feet of travertine that has been in a tank for 15 years? Make frag plugs? Nope you make ledges and false bottoms to place rock on.
6C88E599-3192-4FE3-B24D-0056C23D62EA.jpeg

And what do you do about that last large piece of cut rock? Cut it again so it doesn’t look like the other 2 and looks like a hurricane just placed it wherever.

DC2C294C-003F-43BD-B2DA-9627AD98F0B6.jpeg

Small saw equals small depth of cut, so we are Just going to be doing it the way they did it a few hundred years ago
09C0AAE2-48F1-4684-B412-AE962EE67CE7.jpeg

That’s how they did it before any of us where around here! Lookie here, it still works! Plenty of rock cutting ahead but I gotta empty out a sump so I know what I have to work with!

Attachments

• B41912F3-40C9-4441-9E14-EC61940CF48A.jpeg
    B41912F3-40C9-4441-9E14-EC61940CF48A.jpeg
    443.2 KB · Views: 31

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more saw to add to the list of saws used in this build! What to do with 12+ square feet of travertine that has been in a tank for 15 years? Make frag plugs? Nope you make ledges and false bottoms to place rock on.
6C88E599-3192-4FE3-B24D-0056C23D62EA.jpeg

And what do you do about that last large piece of cut rock? Cut it again so it doesn’t look like the other 2 and looks like a hurricane just placed it wherever.

DC2C294C-003F-43BD-B2DA-9627AD98F0B6.jpeg

Small saw equals small depth of cut, so we are Just going to be doing it the way they did it a few hundred years ago
09C0AAE2-48F1-4684-B412-AE962EE67CE7.jpeg

That’s how they did it before any of us where around here! Lookie here, it still works! Plenty of rock cutting ahead but I gotta empty out a sump so I know what I have to work with!
You know they make chisels for that? ;) Those poor screwdrivers. Oh the horror!:p

OP
OP
OldSchool Reefer

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unloading the sump begins! Pull rock and fill tote move to big tote and scrub rinse with Tunze stream and repeat, move to brute for final rinse once tote is empty load tote from brute. My hands hurt and I’m not even close. Roll wheelie cart with tote of rock through house to sump, large pieces go in the frag section and baseball size go into rock section. Repeat this 3 more times. Oh and most importantly wipe up any sloshes or drips before the wife see it ;Facepalm
2028559E-6CC6-448E-B40C-C3360E94C713.jpeg

OP
OP
OldSchool Reefer

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sump is full of rock :rolleyes: Well there is still a few hundred pounds of rubble, frag plugs and live sand in the old sump. It’s time to add some more water and fire it up!
5CD6BED8-95F6-45E8-87FF-5649E7FDA6A0.jpeg

Yup the Reef Savey Ghost Overflow is spitting :mad:
Here we go I’m not getting taken out buy a ghost!
So did I mention I hate sharp edges? That overflow is so small that you can’t get your hands in it without cutting yourself! :mad: I’m going to have to sneak up on this without being seen so I’m off to make a wrench!
6039DEDE-EC25-4A1F-853D-24FFF62C5336.jpeg

Loosen everything up unions too and wiggle things around and re tighten everything ;Nailbiting
Say a quick prayer and fire it back up!
No leaks but need more water so I run back outside to open the valve!
Everything is running smoothly but the noise level needs work! Lots of tweaking to do but it’s flowing ( insert happy dance)
B68CAB42-6A59-4F40-BDDD-42159F1FCCE3.jpeg

R-balljunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
South Pacific Ocean Longitude: 167.6546 deg. Latit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I think you need to add one more color of PVC just to keep it totally random.
2) rockwork is going to def be unique. Cant wait to see the end result.
3) No one really appreciates the craftmanship and how many different trades you are able to cross over to. I read your other post, and you're right. We live in a throw away society, not a recycle, reuse and repurpose goods. you my good man have vision and forethought beyond going to the intraweb and ordering it! Hats off. I baled on posting my build thread...too much work and for what really?

OP
OP
OldSchool Reefer

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze Skimmer wasn’t happy with the reef epoxy! Their patented anti blow the top off the cup technology sure does work and it makes one heck of a racket to let you know it’s working! Today was drill, peg epoxy day along with some periodic siphon detritus duties and change the sock day.
OldSchool tip; if you aren’t doing a water change but need to suck up some nasty stuff try this. What you need is a big magnet, filter sock clamp and a long siphon hose.
6372DD02-08FF-40BF-B31D-070A9A1A951E.jpeg

OldSchool tip 2; have plenty of epoxy and super glue gel for when you break that perfect rock trying to drill and peg!
7FA89C08-2E74-4617-BD82-620EFA13D65B.jpeg
0D08DD6F-F966-4B24-B638-3A916C8D9FE5.jpeg
CBD47623-A113-4655-B7C7-41B782B75A56.jpeg

Time to add some sand!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank arrives unscathed, Kubi also brought a pair of MP 40s he didn’t use, those 15 YO Tunze 6200s can’t last forever. ‍ Things are progressing nicely, the plans are falling into place wish list is growing daily and orders are being made. Can’t decide on a pump fleece roller or what to do with the fuge yet but the stand build must go on!

yes it is Old School thinking

Yes it is Old School thinking but it still works! Do you understand the new math? It started with pump selection replacing a Hammerhead (3500 GPH) that supplied a 180 a 150 and an Orca 250. I was considering a Dream box but the Red Dragon controller issues were a concern. DC pump controllability will allow for flow optimization. In the end I went with the a Vectra L2 (3100) and Klir 7 (1800 gph) the fuge and reactors will be tapped off the return so flow through the fleece roller will be much lower.

D7FF58A4-9EB5-453D-A052-59984C73516C.jpeg 7ACF18CC-4812-4F4D-84D3-AE0FA8FAE742.jpeg
Nice, I love my klirs

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to keep my rock in good health while doing my mini cook, with loads of flow and water changes additions of bacteria and pods and live phyto. I want to keep the pod population up for the big switch. Three tubs of rock a 125 sump and an old 44 gal fuge/current tank with a hungry possum wrasse could use all the help they can get. minimum light and feeding, heavy sediment filtration cant be easy on the inhabitants, I have dosed Algae Barn EcoPods and 5280 Pods in the past but I picked up some Tigger Pods at the LFS today and they look great I dosed all the containers and started a culture to see if I can raise some.
tiggerpod.jpg
ocean-magik.jpg
Good call, I'm having lots of fun growing my own as well!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t you know it the smallest partition that never made it into the plans would be key in setting this sump build. I always knew that I needed a baffle in the rock section to direct the flow and separate the inlet side from the skimmer from the outlet to the fuge but just thought I could add it anywhere in the process:rolleyes: Nope the hole thing depended on it hanging out holding things up! This is the only baffle where the top edge isn’t hidden by the sump top so I had to give it a nice smooth edge. Cleaned it sanded it test fit it and cleaned it again before removing the rest of the parts so I can get it into place glued down on one side before moving on to the rest. I got everything squared up and ran some Weldon 3 down the edges and gave it a rest!
F9594586-3403-49CF-B152-BB9DBE48EFE8.jpeg
Impressive so far, you clearly have some skills

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as I was inside the stand head and arms through a cutout and mounting the Ice Cap ballast the phone rang o_O was great news the Sump was finally ready:D
D5A52572-DDE8-40BC-A3A5-994BFC584610.jpeg

Pendant on (check) Ballast mounted (check) VHOs working (check) Radions on (check) clean up the wiring octopus ..... F that will wait I’m going to get my sump!
4BC617CC-C26D-4924-9694-5F28F072A5BC.jpeg
Absolutely amazing build so far!

OP
OP
OldSchool Reefer

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I think you need to add one more color of PVC just to keep it totally random.
2) rockwork is going to def be unique. Cant wait to see the end result.
3) No one really appreciates the craftmanship and how many different trades you are able to cross over to. I read your other post, and you're right. We live in a throw away society, not a recycle, reuse and repurpose goods. you my good man have vision and forethought beyond going to the intraweb and ordering it! Hats off. I baled on posting my build thread...too much work and for what really?
1) The color on the plumbing is actually quite simple! Red is anything flowing into the sump and the blue is supply from the main pump an Ecotech Vectra it’s white and blue so I went with that. Unless you go to the reactors (Vertex) they were already Red and white even though they are supplied by the Vectra they flow into the sump so the plumbing was red. Red black and white is the most eye catching combination so that was an easy choice over all!
Wait till I get the Red Sea Dose that will blow your mind!
92A7B854-8FE3-45A6-87A1-9A631F5F4505.jpeg

2) it’s the most challenging I’ve done yet! Big Peninsula means you have to have a totally different view from 3 sides and every angle must have depth of view! The days of rock walls are over!
3) Sad isn’t it! I’ve been reusing everything I can and building as much as my skill set allows. It’s frustrating at times but the final product will show the effort put into it and that it’s a one of a kind not off the shelf!

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your varied skill set. I will do just about everything construction/plumbing/electrical with the house, but I've never pulled the trigger on trying to do acrylic and glass. Heck, I still change my the oil on my cars even though it really isn't that much cheaper than a quick lube. Very impressed with your skill set and looking forward to the finished product.

OP
OP
OldSchool Reefer

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand, I’m a big proponent of sand in general! Anyway you want to utilize it, and I’ve done them all! Deep Sand Bed, Shallow Sand Bed, Plenum, in tank and remote I’ve even run large fluidized bed filters. One thing I’ve Never used is commercial “live” sand.
91ACBD9F-348E-4113-94A1-9FA5166FB5F9.jpeg

OldSchool always got live sand from another tank, a friend or the LFS. I had a stockpile of hundreds of pounds of Aragonite sand that I got for pennies a pound but it hasn’t been available for decades :mad: anyone remember Southdown play sand? I think I had half of a pallet so there was never a need to buy any of the fine stuff.
A040C9DD-1551-44E5-9937-A666DC654B67.jpeg

The last of that sand is in my old sump or drying out in a few buckets out back.

The CaribSea was nice and clean didn’t make a white out in the tank and their clarifier worked as advertised so I have no complaints. The 100 pounds of Fiji Pink looks great and covered the bottom with about an inch of sand except where the flow piles it up. I’m re thinking my pump placement but will probably have to go with some crushed coral or reef rubble in places. Lots of tweaking to do!
I’ll get some tank shots once I figure out white balance, so it’s back to the Photography Forum for me.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand, I’m a big proponent of sand in general! Anyway you want to utilize it, and I’ve done them all! Deep Sand Bed, Shallow Sand Bed, Plenum, in tank and remote I’ve even run large fluidized bed filters. One thing I’ve Never used is commercial “live” sand.
91ACBD9F-348E-4113-94A1-9FA5166FB5F9.jpeg

OldSchool always got live sand from another tank, a friend or the LFS. I had a stockpile of hundreds of pounds of Aragonite sand that I got for pennies a pound but it hasn’t been available for decades :mad: anyone remember Southdown play sand? I think I had half of a pallet so there was never a need to buy any of the fine stuff.
A040C9DD-1551-44E5-9937-A666DC654B67.jpeg

The last of that sand is in my old sump or drying out in a few buckets out back.

The CaribSea was nice and clean didn’t make a white out in the tank and their clarifier worked as advertised so I have no complaints. The 100 pounds of Fiji Pink looks great and covered the bottom with about an inch of sand except where the flow piles it up. I’m re thinking my pump placement but will probably have to go with some crushed coral or reef rubble in places. Lots of tweaking to do!
I’ll get some tank shots once I figure out white balance, so it’s back to the Photography Forum for me.
I'm on the sand train as well. No bare bottom for me. Always had great results with CaribSea Special grade. Large enough to have some flow, not too big for sand dwellers.
Never saw Southdown brand, but I used to use a similar product in my freshwater tanks. Never liked gravel.

OP
OP
OldSchool Reefer

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the sand train as well. No bare bottom for me. Always had great results with CaribSea Special grade. Large enough to have some flow, not too big for sand dwellers.
Never saw Southdown brand, but I used to use a similar product in my freshwater tanks. Never liked gravel.
I have a bag of Special Grade coming that I planned on using for the base of the plenum. Petco had it on sale and I added it to the monthly dog food delivery to get the free shipping, it should be here any day. I’ll try some of it in the problem areas.
Southdown was all the rage in the late 90s you could get a 50 pound bag at the big box stores for about $5 then the sand mafia stepped in and it went away:confused:

OP
OP
OldSchool Reefer

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning was a mess a big Tunze Stream flopped off the magnet and blasted half of the sand across the tank and blew over my big table centerpiece. I was avoiding the drill peg epoxy on the table .... well it’s a big tank and reaching the bottom of the center requires getting your arm pit in the tank :rolleyes: But here we go! Find box of Old Tunze parts and try to rig something up so the pump kinda sorta stays in one position. Rake sand back to where it came from. The easy parts are done, drilling and pegging is going to be challenging without breaking anything. Take your time go slow step up drill sizes often.
DC61AA44-EFD7-4317-877A-4ED5AF2E017D.jpeg
Remembering that the Skimmer doesn’t like the epoxy I shut it down..... might as well clean the cup:confused: Up to my armpits and can’t see what I’m doing i managed to get it stuck down!
E1174749-4C6C-4C64-8083-CDE2C0F3947B.jpeg

now I can get back to figuring out what I’m doing with this wire octopus!

OP
OP
OldSchool Reefer

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much accomplished today. Rainy season is coming early! I wanted to work on wire management and racks for electronics but showers kept interrupting :mad: I did manage to clear out and clean and the rock bins giving the wife back some more realestate and that made her happy so it’s a win!
First on the priority list of electronics to accommodate are the heaviest, VHO ballasts and Vortex Battery Backups! The ICECAP ballasts are in the basic position but will have to move a little to accommodate the mounting board for the Battery Backups. Not a big deal it’s just a tight spot and a regular PTA! The Battery Backups are going to need serious attaching points, not just being attached to some 3/4 Starboard. I got the board cut and ready but it will wait until after work tomorrow when it will be mounted to the stand frame!
034E0FA6-1525-4B37-888B-56BBE2CF6E21.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back