OMG! Liveaquaria switched their 14 day guarantee to a store credit!!!

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty angry about this. It wasn't in place the last time I ordered a few months ago and I don't remember LA telling me about the change. They are going downhill fast. I'm seriously reconsidering giving them my business.

Last edited:

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this out the hard way a few months ago when I lost 3 fish from them in one shipment. I am no longer using them. They can keep my unused store credit as I do not trust their livestock anymore either.

sabor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent me a sickly blonde naso that past away 3 weeks after so I’m simply out of luck from their 14 day guarantee. Good one liveaquaria!

Last edited by a moderator:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orders never were 'guaranteed' for 10:30 … if you read the fine print. UPS has always said that they aim for 10:30 ….

Agree that lots of policy changes have happened over the last 6 months, I suspect as an effort to bolster profits (mitigate losses perhaps). They are now on par with the industry rather than being ahead. Other changes beyond those listed by @Scurvy include arrive alive ONLY for expert fish and a photo of dead animals is required not just your word.

OP
OP
Hal3134

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've probably spent $600 with them in the last 18 months, maybe more, as I stock up my 250g. I'm thinking I might be done giving them my business. Can anybody make some recommendations?

OP
OP
Hal3134

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other changes beyond those listed by @Scurvy include arrive alive ONLY for expert fish and a photo of dead animals is required not just your word.
The photo has been required for a while now.

But the change in expert fish being no 14 day guarantee is new. I'm no longer going to buy my moorish idol or achilles tang from them because of this. And some of the fish they have labeled as "expert" are laughable: Longhorn cowfish. Really? Come on... I've had cowfish for years. They are not "expert only" fish.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm now 0/2 on Watanabe angelfish from LA. First replacement I had to pay the box fee, and on the third time they had "stock issues" on the Watanabe and overnighted me a single inexpensive fish (that I'd added to hit the free shipping minimum) and said they'd try and fulfill the rest of the order within two weeks. I told them that I'd rather cancel the shipment and wait until the entire order could be shipped together (I contacted within minutes of them letting me know I was going to be receiving a partial shipment), and they ignored me and sent it anyway.

Have not been impressed with them lately.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orders never were 'guaranteed' for 10:30 … if you read the fine print. UPS has always said that they aim for 10:30 ….

Agree that lots of policy changes have happened over the last 6 months, I suspect as an effort to bolster profits (mitigate losses perhaps). They are now on par with the industry rather than being ahead. Other changes beyond those listed by @Scurvy include arrive alive ONLY for expert fish and a photo of dead animals is required not just your word.

True enough though I'll rephrase... They used to send Next Day Air which generally arrived for 10:30am. My last order was sent in a category lower, Next Day Air Saver I think so that target of 10:30 became more of moving target. I think it affects folks in less populated regions more than someone in or close to a major city.

Symantics really. Agree its much more in line with industry norms and I'll still use them.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tbh when it comes to fish and corals. Unless the vendor is grossly at fault, their refund has in all intent and purposes been a store credit for me.

And they carry enough dry goods that i do not necessarily have to buy livestock again.

As far as expert fish only having arrive alive. What is probably unknown is how many people, bought a few beginner fish none died, and went “ill try that coralivore butterfly fish” it dies a week later and get their money back and buy nothing else.

I have no issues with these changes tbh. They are still on my coral purchase list when buying enough to get free shipping. Never had a sick coral from them in all my purchases. Fish, i am hesitant as my lfs will order for me and theres less unknowns on my end, compared to any online shop.

OP
OP
Hal3134

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think it's total crud to give store credit. That's the kind of junk that shady running-on-a-shoestring stores do. In the physical/meat world anytime I see a sign behind the register that says "No refunds, store credit only" I walk to a different store.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They changed every policy that made them the best place to buy fish. And then they raised prices DRAMATICALLY on a lot of their fish. They were my go to store and I would always recommend them but not anymore. Honestly a big reason why I won't is they made these changes without warning and you HAD to read the fine print or learn the hard way. They should have been posting here and put it front and center on their website that these changes were coming, not trick customers like they did.

OP
OP
Hal3134

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They changed every policy that made them the best place to buy fish. And then they raised prices DRAMATICALLY on a lot of their fish. They were my go to store and I would always recommend them but not anymore. Honestly a big reason why I won't is they made these changes without warning and you HAD to read the fine print or learn the hard way. They should have been posting here and put it front and center on their website that these changes were coming, not trick customers like they did.
Agree 100%. I found out about the box charge at check out.

When you make changes of this magnitude, I think that you have a moral obligation to publicize it. Geez, even Google will tell you that the Terms and Conditions have changed, and you need to re-check that you accept them.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted about this on 8/24, and it went into affect 8/9. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/l...antee-for-marine-fish-is-store-credit.642149/

It is very frustrating. TBH I have seen a few people on here talk about fraudulently filing claims against vendors to get either free goods or money. Liveaquaria is comparable to most online vendors now. I understand the fact they are only store credit for any fish that survived the shipping. Expert only fish are DOA credit, nothing beyond that. I don't understand why their prices are still so high and why they have a box fee associated with each order. I have stopped looking on their website purely due to the change in terms. Now they are no better than most LFS, which may make LFS very happy.

Ligeia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you ordering from General Site or Diver's Den? I think DD still functions semi-autonomously from LA as a whole.

I still get nice fish from them!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD animals are at a facility where the are qt'd and watched. Non DD animals are drop shipped from the wholesaler/importer.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back