OMG WHAT IS THIS?!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its safe for now but if it becomes too large or unsightly, remove outside of the tank as air will cause it to wither. You can also inject with air or vinegar which will destroy it safely.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its safe for now but if it becomes too large or unsightly, remove outside of the tank as air will cause it to wither. You can also inject with air or vinegar which will destroy it safely.

Ya. My rock structure isn't glued or attached mechanically together, pulling this rock out will be a no go. At least the very least favorable option. Vinegar is safe in a reef tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ya. My rock structure isn't glued or attached mechanically together, pulling this rock out will be a no go. At least the very least favorable option. Vinegar is safe in a reef tank?
Yes- keep in mind , many reefers do vinegar and vodka dosing. With syringe, you are using a couple of CC's. Or you and I can talk boluses. . .LOL

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- keep in mind , many reefers do vinegar and vodka dosing. With syringe, you are using a couple of CC's. Or you and I can talk boluses. . .LOL
Start an IV in the thing and open it up! That's my kinda language. K ill keep an eye on it. When sponges die don't they expell toxins, or like someone said ammonia spike? The tank is nicely matured at this point, but, you know --- I'm an anxious guy lol

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Start an IV in the thing and open it up! That's my kinda language. K ill keep an eye on it. When sponges die don't they expell toxins, or like someone said ammonia spike? The tank is nicely matured at this point, but, you know --- I'm an anxious guy lol
If you cut them or trim within tank- yes. You can add chemiPure Blue which will remove any toxins

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's pretty much a white ball sponge. They usually do not grow over the size of a golf ball. It's filtering a cryptic zone for you. In other words an area with little to no flow and little to no light. That sponge is doing you a favor. I'd leave him alone.
They mostly grow under rocks filtering away. They are not photosynthetic. They do best in cryptic zones. Or very dirty tanks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back