Omobranchus Fasciolateops, a blenny endemic to East Asia.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found out about the existence of this Blenny species and thought I’d share it with you guys. It’s endemic to China, Taiwan and Japan and I don’t think anywhere else. It’s a brackish fish that some people here keep in freshwater tanks, but I would assume that with many of the brackish fish that people keep in freshwater tanks these may actually do better in full saltwater as they venture into brackish streams from time to time. I think the scientific term is “euryhaline.”

According to Chinese sources these guys are omnivores, but since they’re not a “mainstream” aquarium fish I don’t know all that much about them. If the claim that they’re omnivores is true, they may be an alternative to Salarias spp. for people who like the look of Salarias but aren’t willing to risk them not eating any prepared foods.

This genus is pretty much unknown to our hobby, but where I live some people collect them and sell them as aquarium fish.

The drab one is the female. I didn’t know a Blenny could exhibit such distinct sexual dimorphism. The males look like a cross between a Salarias spp. and one of the bottom dwelling Ecsenius spp. such as the Bicolor and Tailspot.

Not sure if they’re a cold water fish or a fully tropical species that can be kept at our reef tank temperatures. Assuming they’re not obligate corallivores like the Leopard Blennies I would assume they’re reef safe though Coral growth and diversity in my part of Asia is still dwarfed by that of Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands.
884FFB79-30D8-47FF-AFC0-DF18EB89EB5D.png CCC0FEB3-F00B-4682-A124-3022C13D4D7C.png 9A2D80CD-CF05-4A09-B808-FB13126782DA.png

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back