On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult is it REALLY to keep Acros?

How difficult is it REALLY to keep Acropora corals?

• 1 - easy to keep

Votes: 23 3.6%

Votes: 7 1.1%

Votes: 16 2.5%

Votes: 16 2.5%
  • 5 - average

Votes: 178 27.6%

Votes: 55 8.5%

Votes: 161 25.0%

Votes: 103 16.0%

Votes: 23 3.6%
  • 10 - difficult to keep

Votes: 62 9.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult is it REALLY to keep Acros?

It seems like Acropora corals, sometimes referred to as Acros, have this mythical stature or aura that they are hard to keep and should be reserved for advanced hobbyists. I have heard this idea repeated online and in local fish stores (LFSs). Because this perception is shared throughout the hobby, there are those beginners that seemingly think – “When I grow up, I want to keep Acros!” as if it is something for them to aspire to in the distant future. So the question is: how difficult is it REALLY to keep Acros? While most Acros may not be starter corals, do they need to be left for advanced reefers? Tell us your thoughts about the challenge of keeping Acros and feel free to share any tips that you have for someone who is thinking about getting an Acro for the first time!

UniqueCoralsAcro.jpeg

Photo by @uniquecorals

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think labeling all acropora as advanced is misleading. Many of them are, especially when you're trying to get perfect coloration. But there's plenty that imo are suitable for beginners. I have a no name tort (looks like a Cali tort) that survived crazy dkh swings to 17+ and all kinds of salinity/nutrient swings in a 4g pico tank. Wouldn't say it was thriving, but it grew consistently and colored up well.

peewee5779

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I haven't had any success yet. My numbers are all good but because I don't have an ATO my salinity probably fluctuates too much. Lighting schedule wasn't set for them as well but I have fixed that and may try again in the future. Any recommendations on my next purchase?

PrattysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I haven't had any success yet. My numbers are all good but because I don't have an ATO my salinity probably fluctuates too much. Lighting schedule wasn't set for them as well but I have fixed that and may try again in the future. Any recommendations on my next purchase?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally believe wild colonies gave them all a bad name! Bringing in a wild colony or mariculture can be tricky to acclimate to captivity.. any stick that’s been in the hobby for a decent amount of time is just as bullet proof as any other corals… ora would be good ones to start with! I’ve seen people do everything wrong and their sticks always pull through.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think they are much less forgiving than other corals and they go quickly when something is off. This usually causes people to react and change things or chase numbers which makes it even worse. A lot of the time, your ticked acro today is reacting to something that happened 2 weeks ago.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally believe wild colonies gave them all a bad name! Bringing in a wild colony or mariculture can be tricky to acclimate to captivity.. any stick that’s been in the hobby for a decent amount of time is just as bullet proof as any other corals… ora would be good ones to start with! I’ve seen people do everything wrong and their sticks always pull through.

This

bullseyereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as stated above, difficult is a realtive term. Depending on the effort you want to put it will ditermine your success. If keeping the perfect Acro dominated tank is your goal, than youll put the effort forwards to achieving that goal.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
voted 6. acros can be as difficult as you make it. making sure your system is established and you have the proper lighting/flow prior is key. i’ve lost acros due to negligence but now i have thriving frags turning into mini colonies

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted 1 because if you learn and adhere to the absolute basics of reef keeping, keeping acros will be easy too. Here's why: Testing is easy. Choosing how much to feed the display is easy. Mixing salt into RO/DI water is easy. Choosing how much water to change and when is easy. Making sure that water is the same temperature as the display before pouring it in is easy. Choosing sufficient lighting that you then set and leave alone is easy. Choosing a circulation pump that provides sufficient flow and then not changing flow settings all the time is easy. The main reason why people think acros are difficult to keep is because they have the assumption they're hard to keep and overcomplicate maintenance/system setup which stresses their acros and usually kills them. 1. Only do things to keep your tank on track and only if ABSOLUTELY necessary. 2. Make small changes based on weekly testing. 3. Don't overthink things. You usually don't NEED the high end or additional equipment you think you need and it can make your tank less stable as a result (Ex: You probably don't need a skimmer + ATS + dosing vibrant + miracle mud + seachem matrix + twelve other things that just the skimmer and regular water changes, combined with feeding a little bit less would accomplish anyways and without adding additional points of failure and resulting acro-killing instability). 4. Be patient.

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 acro in my 13 gallon tank that I got for 30 dollars. I have had it since July and it is slowly growing.

I voted Average for now.

It will be moving into a new tank as soon as the weather warms up so I can rinse the sand.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize it's a hobbyist forum so we all skew towards "obviously you can do it just monitor calcium and alkalinity," but it feels pretty ridiculous to me that the board has given them a 5. That would indicate it is the exact midpoint of ease of care in the hobby which is just objectively untrue.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize it's a hobbyist forum so we all skew towards "obviously you can do it just monitor calcium and alkalinity," but it feels pretty ridiculous to me that the board has given them a 5. That would indicate it is the exact midpoint of ease of care in the hobby which is just objectively untrue.
I gave them a 3 if that helps haha! Weekly water changes of 10% and you can keep them without any issues.. no dosing or special requirements besides lighting and $20 Amazon wave maker… a full blown grown Sps tank is different but anyone who makes it to that level knows what they’re doing and dosed accordingly

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back