On the verge of an emergency....

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an achillies tang in a 20 long for qt. Went in on Tuesday. Have a hob filter providing filtration. He was reported to be eating LRS fish frenzy at the store. I have tried LRS nano, frozen mysis and super brine, and red/green algae in a clip and green rubberbanded to a rock. Has eaten maybe a piece or two during each feeding, where the tank sits it's hard to watch him. I'm starting to panic. There is no signs of ich/velvet.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was reported to be eating LRS fish frenzy at the store.

So, you were told that he was eating.... I wish that meant more, but these days I know of stores that say anything to get your money. Where I work I don't TELL people that a fish is eating Larry's I SHOW them the fish eating Larry's! That being said it doesn't sound great, and obviously everyone is going to ask you your tank levels on all parameters. Does he have ample hiding spots, that could certainly stress him out if he doesn't have any structure in the tank. I would suggest trying live blackworms to entice a feeding response.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has two PVC elbows. One a 2" diameter and one a 4" diameter in case the smaller one was well, too small. It's a brand new qt so everything is fine levels wise. I started it with bacteria starter cultures. I don't trust the API tests so I am getting one of those alert dials

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your other thread you said that he was eating well at the store here you said that you were told he was eating. Do we know for FACT if he was really eating like a champ or not?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't trust the API tests so I am getting one of those alert dials

So have you actually tested anything?

I like throwing in some plastic plants, or plastic fake rock decor that can be sterilized afterwards. i have found my fish seem to act more comfortable with a bit more structure in the tank than just the pvc.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've tested all parameters. The API tests give me something different every test. Yes, I do the test exactly the same each time.

I've witnessed them all eat.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have he been in there?
My BPT did not want to really eat anything for the first week and a half and just like you they told be he love LRS. Your is at least picking on stuff. Funny how they always eat the most expensive stuff in the store.

Api test kits are not really that bad. I have used them and for a ball park figure they are alright.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like throwing in some plastic plants, or plastic fake rock decor that can be sterilized afterwards. i have found my fish seem to act more comfortable with a bit more structure in the tank than just the pvc.

This has worked for me also. I find the fish hides in the fake rock for a couple of days, then starts eating normally.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in your other thread you said the tank is under the stand. He needs a degree of light as well, as when it is dark in the wild, the big predatos come out, so other fish aren't looking to feed.

BlueMoods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Pleco Wafers - I know not marine food exactly but, that got my tang eating when nothing else would. One wafer did it, now he gobbles up sheets, flakes, pellets, whatever anyone else in the tank happens to eat.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back