On vacation and my tank is leaking bad

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crazy how stuff like this ALWAYS happens at the worst time lol, hopefully not too much water damage and all the livestock is ok! Keep us updated

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this goes against most general practice, but if your corals can be placed below the leaking point, I would just run the tank with powerheads for a couple of weeks and not bother resealing the entire thing. Alternatively you could just get a cheap aquarium from Petco like a 40 breeder or 60 breeder until you decide on a new permanent set up. I’ve run several frag tanks with nothing but a Powerhead and minor water changes for a couple of years. I don’t mean an all in one system, but a low boy tank with a T5 light, power heads, and a screen top. Nothing else.

Keep us updated and let us know how it goes. Good luck

exactly what I’m doing. So far I’ve lost about 6 or 7 inches of water so I had them place all the rocks on the sand bed. hopefully the water level doesn’t drop too much more. I also had them pick up 5 buckets of water just to be safe

crazy how stuff like this ALWAYS happens at the worst time lol, hopefully not too much water damage and all the livestock is ok! Keep us updated
My thoughts exactly. But I’m just glad it’s not leaking at a faster rate and that it won’t leak past halfway. Fingers crossed

everything is looking okay for now, some corals fell off the rockwork while they were moving the rocks, but hopefully a day or two in the sand won’t hurt them too much. Didn’t want to have them reaching into the tank more than they had to.
fish looked okay also

Now I will probably look into upgrading to a bigger tank, since I will most likely have to replace the tank anyways.

Took this pic the day before I left, lots of work and time put into this system it’s a shame it’s coming to an end.
6A69507A-20FF-4100-A0EC-EECE22902107.jpeg

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to let everyone know, it looks like more than just the silicone had gave out. The entire side glass panel had out a bit and luckily it didn’t fully pop off the tank.
3F6326AD-FBFA-40BB-9881-B25CBCAA581F.jpeg DA97D870-9CFC-4783-931C-10F1A7F15B8D.jpeg

I was lucky enough to find a very cool local dude selling a massive 220 that had been broken down a few months ago. So I brought that home today and will start assembling tomorrow. Need to purchase new bulkheads/plumbing to get it going.

C0E0A8CB-DC9A-4ACA-B175-5F07CD6F9AA5.jpeg

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to let everyone know, it looks like more than just the silicone had gave out. The entire side glass panel had out a bit and luckily it didn’t fully pop off the tank.
3F6326AD-FBFA-40BB-9881-B25CBCAA581F.jpeg DA97D870-9CFC-4783-931C-10F1A7F15B8D.jpeg

I was lucky enough to find a very cool local dude selling a massive 220 that had been broken down a few months ago. So I brought that home today and will start assembling tomorrow. Need to purchase new bulkheads/plumbing to get it going.

C0E0A8CB-DC9A-4ACA-B175-5F07CD6F9AA5.jpeg
Good luck with the new tank. Upgrading and stocking something so much bigger is a lot of fun.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably too late now, but you could have used duct tape on the aquarium and probably kept it going for awhile longer.

I had a similar thing happen on my 75g about 12 years ago. Came home and a stream of water was squirting out a corner. I just used a bunch of duct tape and taped the corner with strip after strip going up and about a foot or so of tape on each side. And I would tighten it up as much as I could.

Held water like that for over 2 months until I ended up moving and selling everything in it. Ugly of course, but it worked.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 104 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back