Once again another id requested in the same day. With not so great video.

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s time I get a new phone. This camera isnt the greatest, and I can’t watch other videos on this site. But I digress.
Tentacles! Maybe? When I noticed they appeared to be moving on their own. And I so happened to also find a small aiptasia... great. Let me know what you guys think if you can make out this iPhone video.

Attachments

• IMG_2154.MOV
    57.6 MB

admiralmcstabby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Referring to the brown/slimy looking stuff? Looks like diatom algae, tends to be caused by silicates in the water. Is this a new tank setup or are you using tap water to top off the tank/water changes?

The upload actually was surprisingly decent and if you're using a browser on your phone to read this site try simply using a different browser. Whenever I've had an iPhone I never used Safari...trash to me. Try Chrome or even Firefox.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you need id on the ball anemone or the stuff surrounding it?
Because it is probably this
Referring to the brown/slimy looking stuff? Looks like diatom algae, tends to be caused by silicates in the water. Is this a new tank setup or are you using tap water to top off the tank/water changes?

Attachments

• ball anemone.jpg
    ball anemone.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 22

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ball anemone. Is what I was looking.

thank you!
Would this be considered a pest? Or is it ok to leave it?
It's so situational. They don't split like majano, or reproduce as quick as aiptasia. If you have smaller fish it could eat them when it gets bigger. But that's all I believe the risk is, in keeping them.

You can monitor the growth and if it starts to get as big as your smallest fish, maybe place it in the sump or discard it. Or, hope your fish never swims near it.

Edit, usually pretty safe to keep.

OP
OP
thatone08

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so situational. They don't split like majano, or reproduce as quick as aiptasia. If you have smaller fish it could eat them when it gets bigger. But that's all I believe the risk is, in keeping them.

You can monitor the growth and if it starts to get as big as your smallest fish, maybe place it in the sump or discard it. Or, hope your fish never swims near it.

Edit, usually pretty safe to keep.
Thank you. I will keep it fo now and monitor it. More concerned about the aiptasia I found right now. Hopefully some peppermint shrimp will help.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. I will keep it fo now and monitor it. More concerned about the aiptasia I found right now. Hopefully some peppermint shrimp will help.
Keep an eye on those shrimp, once they are done with the aiptasia they will find a new food source. Sometimes a nice healthy coral.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back