Once again I'm freaking out, clownfish acting weird!

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My female clown is acting weird, staying at the bottom of the tank... I've never seen this behavior before. No recent additions or swings that I'm aware of... here's a picture. Notice anything abnormal? Getting ready to test ammonia and no3
20220706_180139.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My female clown is acting weird, staying at the bottom of the tank... I've never seen this behavior before. No recent additions or swings that I'm aware of... here's a picture. Notice anything abnormal? Getting ready to test ammonia and no3
20220706_180139.jpg
She has clear case of brooklynella which often affects wild caught clowns. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be nesting. Might be taking a fancy to the gsp

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She has clear case of brooklynella which often affects wild caught clowns. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
What’s the most recent somethings gone in the tank? I’d agree it’s brook.
The last thing I added was a harlequin shrimp on May 26th...so I should treat for brook???

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The last thing I added was a harlequin shrimp on May 26th...so I should treat for brook???
Yes treat- I gave you the info

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT the fish prior to adding to the DT? Clowns are known carriers of brook and often the symptoms don't show up until several months after adding them. If brook is confirmed you need to QT all the fish and fallow the tank for at least 6 weeks.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you QT the fish prior to adding to the DT? Clowns are known carriers of brook and often the symptoms don't show up until several months after adding them. If brook is confirmed you need to QT all the fish and fallow the tank for at least 6 weeks.
I did not but I haven't added a fish to my tank in 2 1/2 years for this reason alone. This sucks. Just got off the phone with my lfs. I can't get any meds until 12pm tomorrow.. going to make up some saltwater and set up a qt tank. Still undecided whether or not to do a fw dip tonight. I did recently introduce a bt anemone about 4 months ago and the lfs rep was saying it could be from that also, but better to just go ahead and treat for brook

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks I will do that. Should I remove all the fish and treat at the same time in the same tank? I have 2 clowns, a pj cardinal and...a mandarin. Even the mandarin?
for now, the clowns BUT . . . If your other fish are showing symptoms such as gasping for air at the water surface, same mucous on their bodies, signs of skin lesions, or scraping themselves against solid objects , treat them too

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
for now, the clowns BUT . . . If your other fish are showing symptoms such as gasping for air at the water surface, same mucous on their bodies, signs of skin lesions, or scraping themselves against solid objects , treat them too
10 4. I just finished setting up a 5g FW dip tank with a heater and a HOB for aeration. Keeping a close eye on the temp. LFS guy told me add prime and a "buffer"...I have prime but no buffer, I do have baking soda but no practical way to check pH, only a probe in my DT. Also making up batch of saltwater. Will match alk and temp. Picking up a formalin blue and "something else" mixture at 12pm tomorrow, taking a sick day to rush home and treat clownfish. I'll read over your instructions, many times over tonight. I did add a BTA recently and LFS guy told me it could also be from a "stupid" clownfish being too aggressive with the anemone and not brook since I've only added inverts and corals. I'm debating holding off on the FW dip, instead closely monitoring fish through the night. Do you think I'm handling the situation appropriately? For the umpteenth time, I really appreciate you, Vetteguy53081. U always come through for me!!!!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep breath. I'd try posting a video as suggested by Jay. Or more pics. I didn't even notice anything when I first posted, I now see the discoloration but no real sloughing that you see with advanced brook. If you said you recently added a BTA in the original post, I'd say that is a likely culprit.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long have you had this fish? It looks like a long term captive, and Brooklynella usually shows up in newer fish.
Can you post a short video?

Jay
I've had the pair for close to 3 years... haven't added a fish in 2 1/2. Added a BTA about 3-4 months ago and she's been getting pretty aggressive with the anemone recently...I will gladly take another video if you need it

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to its dorsal fin?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd name her Spike.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ha! Got the pair during the presidential elections. Named them Don and Joe. Her name is Don, hence the jacked up fin. "AKA" Trump's hair. But she turned into the female and the other, the male. So I suppose their real names are Donna and Joseph. Kinda boring!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back