Once again I'm freaking out, clownfish acting weird!

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh YAY!! She's eating! My phone is about to die so this is as close as I can get until it charges some more...

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a clown doing clown things like hanging out in random areas. Sometimes they will seemingly choose the corner of a tank as a host for a bit.

The behavior seems normal but the skin looks abnormal.
1657232855342.jpeg

Also, does anyone else think the lips appear abnormally white, puffy, and flaky almost? Could this be fungal?
1657233074564.png

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These videos are super helpful, this does not look like a dying fish. I don't have the knowledge base to tell you what all the things on the body and mouth region are, that I pointed out, but this is definitely not a lethargic fish so burdened with disease that it has one fin in fishy heaven (at least in the immediate future).

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you confirm if what I pointed out along the body are actually on the fish or is from the glass? It is a little difficult to differentiate because there are some parts of that region of the glass that give a hazy appearance to the fish.
Yes. Those are spots on the fish. I need to clean my glass!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other option is that the pair bond has broken down. The fish with the normal dorsal fin makes frequent rushes at the other one. If it is doing that with you standing right there, imagine what its doing when you leave the room. I would put up your phone to video the pair and then leave the room. Review the video to ensure they aren't grappling.

Jay

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The other option is that the pair bond has broken down. The fish with the normal dorsal fin makes frequent rushes at the other one. If it is doing that with you standing right there, imagine what its doing when you leave the room. I would put up your phone to video the pair and then leave the room. Review the video to ensure they aren't grappling.

Jay
Will do. Thank you sir

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay
Saying that the bond is broken, where does that leave me? Do I need to get rid of one of the fish? It still has white spots.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns just get weirder and weirder.
When I first started reefing I learned they pair up and you can only have the single pair in a tank (Not always true I later found out, but seems to be the norm). Now I find they can have domestics and break up LOL

Hope you're able to help your fish! (sorry I don't have any valuable input)

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clowns just get weirder and weirder.
When I first started reefing I learned they pair up and you can only have the single pair in a tank (Not always true I later found out, but seems to be the norm). Now I find they can have domestics and break up LOL

Hope you're able to help your fish! (sorry I don't have any valuable input)
Haha. Maybe I should call the police and file a report

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well as of now, I'm recording the fish while not in the room. Whenever I sneak a peek around the corner they do not seem to be too interested in each other, only when I'm standing at the tank. I feel I'm more lost at this point than I was last night. Saying one is bullying the other- do I pick my least favorite and remove it? The fish still has white spots, regardless of the possible bullying. But she is eating and seems slightly better than yesterday. So idk if I should still treat for brook...and if I do, it doesn't sound like the methylene blue that my lfs gave me is the best option. Regardless of what happens to the fish and if it gets better or worse, I'll be investing in a proper qt setup this weekend. Now just to figure out if I should use it or not. I'm sure I will but still... no freakin idea what the fish has! Well at the very least, I've learned a very valuable lesson this week

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saying that the bond is broken, where does that leave me? Do I need to get rid of one of the fish? It still has white spots.
You should try the phone trick first, it is only a hypothesis.
If they are making contact with one another, then yes, they should be isolated.
Jay

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't get a very long video as my phone is low on storage...I did sit way across the room for about 30 mins and honestly I don't see much aggression. It does seem the roles have reversed and the smaller one is being a bit more dominate. But she isn't on the sand bed anymore. She seems to be swimming quite normal. But there's still the white spots. I may try removing and treating her with formalin and fw dip tomorrow evening.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't get a very long video as my phone is low on storage...I did sit way across the room for about 30 mins and honestly I don't see much aggression. It does seem the roles have reversed and the smaller one is being a bit more dominate. But she isn't on the sand bed anymore. She seems to be swimming quite normal. But there's still the white spots. I may try removing and treating her with formalin and fw dip tomorrow evening.
Finally had time to sit down a read through some of Humblefish's threads... I'll be getting metroplex and focus tomorrow and setting up a qt tank. Wondering if qt'ing 2 clowns, a cardinal, and a mandarin together in a 20g high is feasible. I do have other tanks but I'll have to buy more heaters

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally had time to sit down a read through some of Humblefish's threads... I'll be getting metroplex and focus tomorrow and setting up a qt tank. Wondering if qt'ing 2 clowns, a cardinal, and a mandarin together in a 20g high is feasible. I do have other tanks but I'll have to buy more heaters

Before you dose metroplex and Focus, you need to understand that the dosage for that isn't controlled and almost always is wrong (on the low side). Even their own instructions don't match - at one point they say 5:1 and on the bottle it says 1:1

Metronidazole needs to be dosed at 5000 ppm in food, and at that level it is very bitter and many fish will not eat it.

Take a look at this article first:

Jay

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Before you dose metroplex and Focus, you need to understand that the dosage for that isn't controlled and almost always is wrong (on the low side). Even their own instructions don't match - at one point they say 5:1 and on the bottle it says 1:1

Metronidazole needs to be dosed at 5000 ppm in food, and at that level it is very bitter and many fish will not eat it.

Take a look at this article first:

Jay
I'm way out of my league with this whole thing... maybe prayer will work. Ha

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.1%
Back