0   0   0
Alkalinity 8

Nitrate 30?**

Nitrite .05

Ammonia : 0

Salinity: 1.025

Temp: 78.8

I’ve had all fish since Sept 23 2021

Recently purchased a peppermint shrimp that died almost instantly after being added to my tank.
Did a water change thinking my water must be wrong. Ever since that water change I have struggled to keep the temperature of the water consistent. (It was too warm initially, and threw off everything)

Temp has fluctuated from 80 - 81 - 78 - 76 at its lowest in the last 5 days.

How do I save this situation please help!!! How do I add oxygen to tank?? All pet stores are closed at this time.

Nitrate spiked after I lost my fish, shrimp, and a few snails! What do I do !!!

Attachments

• IMG_0405.MOV
    34.6 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry to read, air pump ,point jets to surface,
rinse good,add carbon.
i cannot see video ,@vetteguy53081 ?

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not an oxygen issue. It looks like they are responding to something in the water. Are you using rodi? Mix up a new batch of water, adda heater to it, and a pump to break the surface tension of the water. Add them to the water after it reaches temp. Something in your tank is off. If the fish respond and survive the night then it's definitely something in your tank. I'd do a 50% change and add carbon

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also check to make sure your heater isn't cracked and exposing the water to some type of contaminant. In any case, I'd remove the fish from the tank and put them into quarantine with a powerhead or airstone if you have one.
I just recommend this same thing.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also check to make sure your heater isn't cracked and exposing the water to some type of contaminant. In any case, I'd remove the fish from the tank and put them into quarantine with a powerhead or airstone if you have one.
Was going to say the same thing, was the heater left plugged in and out of water during this water change? If it’s a glass heater, it could’ve cracked, which can electrocute your fish and cause wild temperature fluctuations. Unplug it and inspect it for cracks (let cool for 15 min after unplugging it before taking it out of the water). Regardless, I would get a new heater and a temp controller for it (inkbird).

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp fluctuations will kill coral, fish will stress but not die. The time I takes the temp to rise or fall would be over an hour or more. The fish wouldn't notice either way. I had a powerhead shock the hell out of mee reaching in to my tank to grab a nori clip. Went from using 120v power heads to DC power heads every since. The fish never even showed any signs. Hard to say how long it was leeching current. The concrete floor was damp and had it not been I would have never knew. My heater has a ground plug and a digital controller. I checked everything in a bowl of salt water and on a gfci outlet it tripped on the power head. Probably not 100% accurate every time but it worked for me

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not sure on swim bladder, do see tail damage.
anything picking on ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We thrive in stability when it comes to water conditions and changing temperature is not warranted and promotes disease in some cases. It must be steady
An area of concern is seeing a high nitrate and zero ammonia
WHAT TEST KITS ARE YOU USING?

what is your phosphate level and are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clownfish look to be doing clownfish things so that’s not really abnormal. Like others have said would check to make sure heater has not failed. Would definitely recommend putting the heater on a controller as well to keep temps stable. In the mean time do a water change and run some carbon to help polish the water in case anything leeched into the water column!

OP
OP
T

tinytanya7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We thrive in stability when it comes to water conditions and changing temperature is not warranted and promotes disease in some cases. It must be steady
An area of concern is seeing a high nitrate and zero ammonia
WHAT TEST KITS ARE YOU USING?

what is your phosphate level and are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
Red Sea test kit!

I only use rodi water from lfs and salt water from lfs

I will test for phosphate when I get home

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also test
Red Sea test kit!

I only use rodi water from lfs and salt water from lfs

I will test for phosphate when I get home
Also test the water from LFS Before you put it in your tank
I’ve seen many horror stories about LFS water and in which the LFS was not aware of things like high phosphate, high nitrate, low salinity and high TDS

Last edited:
Back