One Hanna Checker to rule them ALL!!

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs to be able to truly calibrate and Hanna missed the mark without a DC plugin port.

The batteries probably last a long time. Colorimeters are really low power. Rechargeables in my Hachs last like a year.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean don't get me wrong, it's a cool concept, but nitrite, and PH are not needed.

If hanna really knew it's customer base, this would be ALK, CAL, PO4 high range, and low range, and Nitrate High, and Low range.

It's cool that it can log 200 tests, and the on screen instruction. But do you really forget how to run a test after you've done it a few times? And it really doesn't save any time. And how often to you really have to change the battery? I use my ALK checker 3 times a week, and haven't had to change the battery in 6 months so far.

Like I said, cool concept, just off the mark a bit.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the market for this is existing reefers, well most already have the Hanna testers they want. If it's for new reefers, the price point is too high. I struggle to understand then just who the target audience is for this product.
The target is those that spend $1800 on lights, $2000 on power heads, $1500 on sumps, $1600 iphones, and $699 on a torch.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Even if you want to use hanna for all these tests it takes more time than if you buy individual checkers.
I agree here, I run tests at the same time and the individual checkers are more practical for my use. I have the Nitrate, phosphate, Alk, Ca test down to 8 minutes.
The batteries probably last a long time. Colorimeters are really low power. Rechargeables in my Hachs last like a year.
I have had the bench top salinity checker for over two years and still have the same battery in the salinity checker.

For the price It would have been nice to have the ability to WiFi Connect/USB, to upload the data with fancy graphic to store data and check back over time.

I have testing down to were I hardly have any errors in testing, by using some lab equipment.

As for the comments about reagents going bad if have noticed this since I switched to a fresh syringe and tips for the reagents. I even use a stirrer and pipe with tips now to be more cost effective.

I can see were the nitrite and PH would be helpful with a newer system.

In closing with a couple of tweaks I might pay the price :)

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something, something, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Imagine dropping this thing and losing all ability to test your water. Oopss...o_O

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm currently working on upgrading my eggs to the new standard. At the moment the eggs are just taped together, but if it goes ok then I will glue them so that if one fails I can throw them all in the trash.

The only problem I having so far is what to do with the battery cover screws. This could be a show-stopper!

thumbnail_IMG_1590.jpg

pippol01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this for a new reefer how doesn't have a lot of Hanna testers? what about someone who has a lot of individual Hanna testers, I'm going to throw them ut or sell them if I get this one tester?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this for a new reefer how doesn't have a lot of Hanna testers? what about someone who has a lot of individual Hanna testers, I'm going to throw them ut or sell them if I get this one tester?

That's the problem. New reefers arent typically ready to drop $400 on test kits they dont really need yet. Old reefers already have eggs and see no need for a single point of failure to replace them.

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand why they don’t do an announcement about product development. I just bought all the checkers this year. If I would have known…, there may have been a chance I went this route.
I don’t understand all the hate either with an all in one tester. Does Hanna have a high failure rate? I haven’t seen reviews that they have. In my field we have a bunch of all in one testers given time everything fails. Do you purchase an all in one TV, internet, app ready, etc. do you purchace a car with all the amenities or just go stock. Because I can tell you aquarium, tvs, car electronics are all class one rated products and pcb boards and solder joints will be treated as such. They will fail. Anywho a rant I went on.

Last edited:

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t understand why they don’t announcement product development. I just bought all the checkers this year. If I would have know…, there may have been a chance I went this route.

My personal opinion is that you're better off with the individual checkers, for the reasons explained in this thread.

Usually I would agree that it is nice to know of a new product about to be released, but in this case I don't see it as an upgrade (or even really as an alternative) so I don't mind.

I think the better reason for Hanna to have announced this sooner is that they could have got some feedback. I'm not sure how they did their market research but it could have been quite a bit better with a few tweaks. I think that some people will like it, many more people will buy it thinking that it does something that it doesn't and be disappointed, but the vast majority of people will pass - I have no data to back that up and it is just my opinion.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait till next summer or so, Hanna will come out one with mag checker on it, then you have to keep chasing it.

just like the LR nitrate, glad I waited and got the HR

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the bench top salinity checker for over two years and still have the same battery in the salinity checker.
I've had mine for probably 8 years and I'm still on the batteries that came with it.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was that companies name?? I’m thinking of the one that was a little black gadget that was circular in shape and was supposed to sit inside your tank. I was excited for that and then the company flopped.
Its amazing what a lack of communication with your customers will do to you.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Randy Holmes-Farley ! I was kind of bummed when that company failed even though I had nothing invested in it.
I’m curious about the aquaspin from api now.. haven’t really looked into it much. Anyway as others have said, I’m surprised Hanna didn’t go the route of multiple test at once. Maybe the tech just isn’t there for what they might deem a reasonable price yet.

edit: follow up was just trying to look into the aquaspin and just learned it’s only available to retailers. Also was thinking it looked very similar to a LaMotte tester..
The one place I saw that mentioned cost said it was $1200 for the aquaspin and $175 for 50 test disks. It appears they have taken the Lamotte 3580 and just changed the disk to aquarium needed tests. Apparently there are some LFS that do use this.

Sort of reminds me of a stand alone unit that was supposed to come out about 8 years ago. It had around 8 to 10 different tests it was supposed to be able to do and you only paid for the tests you needed. It was shown at MACNA and several other big aquarium events and they got some LFS to give them $5000 down payments so they would be the first to get them. They missed a couple of first shipment dates and then disappeared, I assume filed bankruptcy. I think we had at least 2 local stores give them $5k and they never got a dime back.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good thoughts. I first thought it looked great and cheaper than using the Neptune trident, esp. as I don't want 4 tests a day!. Now I'm thinking not.....

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on all the reviews and I saw one reefer bought it, then posted for sale right away, I knew this wasn’t a great idea. I would wait for an updated version, perhaps with mag.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back