One Hanna Checker to rule them ALL!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From their description and a video I saw somewhere, you can calibrate it. I did misspeak when saying it came with calibration standard, as it doesn’t appear that it does. See pic from the description on BRS site as well as Hanna’s site. Their wording says the unit will guide you through calibration. Now, I don’t have it, so I can’t guarantee it based on my usage, but it says what it says. ‍♂️ https://www.hannainst.com/marine-master-waterproof-multiparameter-photometer-hi97105.html

Hanna seems to have an odd idea of what a standard is , IMO.

A standard should test the method for accuracy. Hanna standards do no such thing.

They are just colored water that tests if the photometery is functioning correctly.

If the reagents were off for any reason, or the user is using them incorrectly in any way, there's no way to know.

Reefers would be FAR better off if they provided one or several actual standard solutions to actually test to see if it was working. Like a seawater phosphate solution containing 0.1 ppm phosphate, or a seawater sample with 410 ppm calcium in it, etc.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had that and they went out of business. It was cloud based though.
What was that companies name?? I’m thinking of the one that was a little black gadget that was circular in shape and was supposed to sit inside your tank. I was excited for that and then the company flopped.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was that companies name?? I’m thinking of the one that was a little black gadget that was circular in shape and was supposed to sit inside your tank. I was excited for that and then the company flopped.

Mindstream.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Randy Holmes-Farley ! I was kind of bummed when that company failed even though I had nothing invested in it.
I’m curious about the aquaspin from api now.. haven’t really looked into it much. Anyway as others have said, I’m surprised Hanna didn’t go the route of multiple test at once. Maybe the tech just isn’t there for what they might deem a reasonable price yet.

edit: follow up was just trying to look into the aquaspin and just learned it’s only available to retailers. Also was thinking it looked very similar to a LaMotte tester..

Last edited:

roccomorra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am convinced that its better to get individual testers for most important needs. I can just keep a log of my testing results- it recording the results was the one selling factor for me.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more expensive than the separate checkers combined, and when it fails it likely won't be able to test any of the parameters. Not to mention you'll still need reagents down the line, so the cost savings is already debatable. I'd say if you have nothing in the hanna ecosystem then mayyyybe tho 400 is steep unless this has serious reliable components. If you have all the Hannah checkers already this seems kind of win more and not really worth it.

SHINYSuccubus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys seen this new Hanna Master Multiparameter Checker? It's all of Hanna's checkers in a single unit! Dope!! Here's a video from @SaltwaterAq and @mrsaltwatertank.

well, this just got added to my build thread budget lol - it’s supposedly winging its way to me as i type. or maybe starting monday morning!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs to be able to truly calibrate and Hanna missed the mark without a DC plugin port.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would throw this in.
Just went to a new bottle. I go through 1 a month. For the past 6+ months my alk reading on the Hanna egg has been 0.5 higher.
Same today. I ran Salifert and Elos and both had the same result with Hanna 0.5 higher.
This has been the norm lately for me anywqy. As long as I know the difference im ok.
I just like the Hanna for ease of use.
I will always have Salifert as I use it to measure my carx effluent.
I am going to make the standard to verify all 3. Should have done this long ago but I have no Issues with my systems.
I have been keeping my alk at +- 0.3 with no issues with the small amount of fluctuation. It has been +-0.5 at times and I have seen no issues at that amount of varience.
Still wont be getting the Hanna AIO.

TigNJaxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same question as I posed to Shinysuccubus. What is it that you like about it? I'm really trying to find out if I've missed something (or if it's capabilities/limitations haven't been adequately communicated by Hanna).
I cannot give a knowledgeable "like" yet until after I've actually tried it out to know for sure. But, the want part is for the ease of testing ability. To test all on one tester and get accurate results. Sounds like timesaving ease to me. :) How about you?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would throw this in.
Just went to a new bottle. I go through 1 a month. For the past 6+ months my alk reading on the Hanna egg has been 0.5 higher.
Same today. I ran Salifert and Elos and both had the same result.
This has been the norm lately for me anywqy. As long as I know the difference im ok.
I just like the Hanna for ease of use.
I will always have Salifert as I use it to measure my carx effluent.
I am going to make the standard to verify all 3. Should have done this long ago but I have no Issues with my systems.
I have been keeping my alk at +- 0.3 with no issues with the small amount of fluctuation. It has been +-0.5 at times and I have seen no issues at that amount of varience.
Still wont be getting the Hanna AIO.

Yep,
Once you open a new Hanna alk reagent you have a limited time frame before that reagent starts testing high.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep,
Once you open a new Hanna alk reagent you have a limited time frame before that reagent starts testing high.
Yes and no.
Every bottle I have used for the past 6+ months tests higher than Salifert or Elos.
From day one till the end of the bottle the alk is consistently 0.5 higher. End of some bottles can be a little higher at the most for me 0.7.
I imagine if your bottle is 2 months old the results could go up.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot give a knowledgeable "like" yet until after I've actually tried it out to know for sure. But, the want part is for the ease of testing ability. To test all on one tester and get accurate results. Sounds like timesaving ease to me. :) How about you?
Actually it's faster to use each individual egg. For instance, the PO4 tester, and high range nitrate tester, one takes 7 minutes, the other is 3 minutes. Both need to be shaken for 2 minutes prior to waiting the 3 and 7.

So with the individual eggs, I can start the nitrate test, shake for 2 minutes, insert into egg, push button, and wait 7 minutes. Now while I'm waiting for the 7 minutes, I can start the PO4 test, and still have about 1 minute left on the nitrate checker when the PO4 checker gives me a reading. Both tests can be done in about 9 minutes.

With this AIO, you would have to wait 9 minutes before even starting the PO4 test. Making just these 2 test total time 14 minutes, as opposed to the total time of 9 with the eggs. Not really a time saver.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a good idea for someone that does a lot of tank maintenance for customers. You have a small package to do multiple test types and can maintain a log on multiple tanks. It looks like a compact package that you can bring into customer's home or work location and preform your tests and log the results as well as look at tank test history to be able to spot trends.
For the average reefer with 1 or 2 tanks at home I don't see any benefit. Space for test eggs and logging test results is generally not a problem given all the other stuff necessary to keep a tank. The price doesn't seem out of line if you don't have any of the individual units but loss of testing ability in case of failure seems like a significant issue.

Maybe, but cant imagine anyone doing tank maintenance for a living is going to want to prolong the amount of time testing takes. Also doubtful in my opinion they are going to want to use the hanna for some of the tests as if you are doing this a lot the cost of reagents adds up and the titration tests that exist for some parameters(alk and calc for example) are just as easy to get accurate results and can get reagents considerably cheaper.

Also disagree with the price not being out of line, but i guess it really depends on how much value you place in being able to log results.

The only real benefit i thought this might have is calibration, but the actual manual mentions nothing of being able to calibrate it so not convinced you actually can.. Only using the calibration standards to check the calibration. Then it suggests if it is out of range to contact hanna customer service.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nope. Even if you want to use hanna for all these tests it takes more time than if you buy individual checkers.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back