ONE heavy feeding or multiple light feedings for fish? WHY?

How much do you feed your fish daily?

• One heavy feeding

Votes: 196 27.3%
  • One light feeding

Votes: 83 11.5%
  • Multiple heavy feedings

Votes: 69 9.6%
  • Multiple light feedings

Votes: 371 51.6%

• Total voters

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think young fish and fish with smaller mouth have to feed more frequent.
I do one or two heavy feedings with larger particulate food and two to three light feedings with very small particulate pellet food. I think in this way every fish has the chance to get enough.

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a heavy feeding in the morning before i go to work then when im back i do a light feeding and maybe when im not feeling lazy maybe add a night time snack for them aswell lol

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a great post on here elsewhere about how naturally some of these reef fish are feeding many times a day. I’ve noticed since starting small random feedings throughout the day the fish seem happier and less stressed overall.

I know I'm happier when I eat more often! ;Joyful

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just throw a cube of mysis in my 29g, only a few fish so they all are able to get fat bellys, corals get some too. Everyone's happy

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUOTE = "MugenReef95, post: 7974244, member: 155621"]

I do heavy feeds in the morning before going to work then when I get back I do light feeds and maybe when I'm not feeling lazy maybe add a night snack for them as well lol

[/ QUOTE] [/ QUOTE]

As warriors they will perish.

Last edited:

Mjrdude1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do light feedings several times a day, the rest of the time they graze. But when the sump pump gets turned off they all know what time it is and where to hang out, even the guys that normally hide or make themselves scarce.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my tank two sheets of Nori a day 10X10 inches. That is mainly for my 3 tangs and various wrasses and angle. I suspended it with a fish line so my snails and sea urchins does not get to it. They don't get a free lunch. They just have to earn their living by eating algae on the rock.
In the morning I feed about 1/2 cubic inch of mysis with a heaping teaspoon of dry flakes mixture. All mixed in RO water and dumped right over the PH. I have a high flow tank so the food just go everywhere. I also have two automatic feeder that dump small amount of food every hour during the day. In the evening I sometime open oyster or frozen clam for the fish if I get home early enough, otherwise no feeding in the evening. I always feed them frozen oyster around noon on weekend.

My fish are as fat as they can be.
pbt2020091301-jpg.1780526

KaidenC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the food ready and then add it several times until it is gone. Sometimes I do it early in the morning and other times at noon.
Out of the freezer.
LRS, 2 kinds of Mid Jersey, shrimp, squid and silversides
i-Fpftm9M-L.jpg

I add Selcon and defrost it in tank water. The chunky stuff is for the eels. If they dont eat it somebody else will.
i-RqSTknX-M.jpg

They know it is up there
i-wPSKRhS-M.jpg

I have also added 3 sheets of nori, fed some white worms to the CBB and gave some guppies to the lions.
Thats a beautiful fish tank

BeckyW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed multiple times a day when possible. I’ve got a foxface that is a little piggy.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love to see well fed fish that are fat and friendly with each other not thin and having to go through a daily squabble over a few bits of worthless brine shrimp, which is why I can feed up to 9 or 10 times a day which is IMO is similar to what they would be getting in the wild and after all we are trying to replicate a slice off the ocean's in our glass cages so we can but give the best we possibly can. I feed my system and livestock a full range of everything I can get I think I have 6 different flake foods, 3 different pellets, 3 different types/colours of nori, freeze dried foods, and God alone knows how many different type of frozen foods as they say variety is the spice of life.
P.S. I never discard the juices from when I thaw the frozen food out I pour it all in the tank and my nitrate and phosphate are just readable.

Crotalus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a small amount of sinking pellets at noon when the lights come on. A few cubes of frozen in the middle of their "day", and a sheet of red kelp right before lights out. In each case the food is gone in less than 2 minutes. That's how I decide how much to feed.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's talk about a topic we've never ever ever discussed before, fish feeding! NOT! It's been discussed many times I know but humor me a little and maybe teach some new people something new!

When feeding your fish do you choose ONE heavy feeding or multiple light feedings and why? Maybe you feed multiple heavy feedings! Tell us why?

In 2016 I asked @Brad Syphus to share a quick little video of him feeding just to give us an idea of how it's done and how much it takes! I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Brad feeds his 32 fish (2) quarter sized chunks of LRS Food (frozen food) and a (1) quarter sized chunk of Hikari mysis (frozen) twice daily!

image via @Brad Syphus
1111.jpg

1. Thats a nice tank.
2. I do something that is not on the choice list - I feed different amounts at different times - when I'm by the tank (once a day) - I will give a fair bit of flake food. Then - maybe - later in the day - some LRS - frozen - as a treat - of course yesterday - I left it out on the counter.......

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great question! I have a couple timid fish. My Blue Throat Trigger, spends most of his days in caves and will come out for food but only picks up the food that floats by him, he won't go get it. Then I've got a highly aggressive Dragon Wrasse that tries to shove fish away from food that floats by him. He'll swallow a huge chunk, take it to his cave, then spit it out into smaller pieces that he can eat. And if he gets full, he guards it for "later". Which then it decays..

My Tangs are ***** about food, and my Copperband - (probably my fault) but only wants to be hand fed now. If my fingers aren't around the food and holding it for him just under the water column, he doesn't eat much. But as long as I'm holding it for him, he'll steadily pick food off the frozen chunk for 5-7 minutes, peck then chew, peck then chew. It's tiresome feeding the CBB.

I feet a sheet of Nori a day for the tangs homemade frozen food for the CBB, Dragon Wrasse, and other meat eaters.

My homemade food consists of a BRS recipe - Frozen Scallops, Shrimp, and Mahi Ahi Tuna (all from the frozen section of Costco), freeze dried krill, some type of bottled eggs, some pellet food, and some flake, as well as two bottles of selcon, Cyclopeze, and green powder (can't remember what it is). All mixed together and put into 16 oz (1 gallon baggie sized sheets). I go through a sheet every 3-4 weeks and have around 25 fish. My tangs are all in the 7-8" range and eat like pigs!

I'm curious how you feed less and don't have fish beating each other up for food? Or timid fish dying of starvation?

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess heavy/light definition can be arbitrary. My heavy is what my fish can finish in 60 seconds. and my light would be something they finish in 10-15 seconds.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO multiple light feedings is best

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back