One More Fish To This Four Fish Lineup

MySonWantedAHamster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon BioCube with 4 fish. Do you have any suggestions on what I could add to this mix. I realize a fifth pushes the limit, but very curious what you think could work.

I have the following:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish (shocker, I know…)
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 YellowTail/Similar Damsel

A little background on temperament. The clownfish are easy going, and could really care less about the other two. The damsel will occasionally agitate the clowns, but the clowns always stand their ground. No biting or anything like that. It’s more of the damsel trying to heard the clownfish out of a certain spot. The Tailspot seems to run the show. You know that opening scene from Goodfellas when the guys are messing around outside the store. Paulie walks into the doorway, doesn’t say a word and everyone stops. My Tailspot Blenny is Paulie. If any of the other fish are bickering, the Tailspot can quickly shut it down and gets everyone back in order. He gave the damsel a pretty hard time the first day he was introduced, but everything settled down and now there is relative harmony.

Side note: I do have some coral, roughly 1/2 -3/4” sand bed, and a pretty healthy amphipod population

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my purple firefish in my 32, along with my 2 clowns and yellow clown goby. Myself, I was thinking of a neon firefish to complete my tank, but still thinking about it.

Good luck!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how this works;
You make a post to get help feeding your addiction. You are looking for enablers. (^You are in a good spot,^ btw! edit 2 dropped by while I was typing this ^^^). :)

Here's the downside. If you get some good ideas and do safely add a new fish, everything will be wonderful for about a week or two. Then, once all 5 have settled in you will surely find that he itch to get "just one more fish" will coming swimming out of nowhere and land inside your head. (Ask me how I know)>

Last week I swooped by a lfs "just to look" and you know I came home with a beautiful harlequin tusk fish. Perfect specimen, and what I had been looking for awhile to add if I found one. I dumped him in following the careful protocols established by @Paul B and immediately my purple tang (2 years or 4 now?) said "Heck no!" and started swooping on the newbie. It was late, so I shut off the tank lights (early) and figured things would calm down with the lights off.

Next morning I found the tusk on the floor, obviously pestered in the dark tank until he jumped out.

Is there a moral to the story? I don't know. I just felt like typing I guess.
The end :)

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I'd love to get one of these smaller angels, but always pause mainly because of the threads I've read where they start picking at coral. Any experience either way?
I had one years ago and it didn't bother coral. I have a Flameback now and She dose not touch anything.

OP
OP
MySonWantedAHamster

MySonWantedAHamster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how this works;
You make a post to get help feeding your addiction. You are looking for enablers. (^You are in a good spot,^ btw! edit 2 dropped by while I was typing this ^^^). :)

Here's the downside. If you get some good ideas and do safely add a new fish, everything will be wonderful for about a week or two. Then, once all 5 have settled in you will surely find that he itch to get "just one more fish" will coming swimming out of nowhere and land inside your head. (Ask me how I know)>
I definitely feel like you have a good handle on my thought process :)

You're right though. I would prefer not to upset the balance.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how this works;

Last week I swooped by a lfs "just to look" and you know I came home with a beautiful harlequin tusk fish. Perfect specimen, and what I had been looking for awhile to add if I found one. I dumped him in following the careful protocols established by @Paul B and immediately my purple tang (2 years or 4 now?) said "Heck no!" and started swooping on the newbie. It was late, so I shut off the tank lights (early) and figured things would calm down with the lights off.

Next morning I found the tusk on the floor, obviously pestered in the dark tank until he jumped out.

Is there a moral to the story? I don't know. I just felt like typing I guess.
The end :)
I know the felling. I stooped by the LFS just to look and saw a Tri colored Wrasse I had to have. Put him in the tanks and the Six Line and Flameback swooped right on him. Under a rock he went. He now lives under a rock and grabs food from there.

At least it picked a rock right in the middle front of the tank. I can watch it. :D

OP
OP
MySonWantedAHamster

MySonWantedAHamster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my purple firefish in my 32, along with my 2 clowns and yellow clown goby. Myself, I was thinking of a neon firefish to complete my tank, but still thinking about it.

Good luck!
That's a nice looking group of fish. I was just reading a little bit about firefish last night on liveaquaria. Like most, I like looking over the classifications and saw the "peaceful" attribute. I started thinking well, it might be too much of pushover for the group I have. But then again, my Tailspot is the most confident fish of my group. Thanks for the reply.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back