One must-have piece of equipment for large builds

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tonight, power went out. For the first time, we hooked up our generator! So grateful we got this a year or so ago. Normally when power went out, I dug out all the airstones. Just had 2 40 gal tanks and a 125. But now I have a 240 system, brand new and all my corals are doing super so no flow or oxygen in that large of a system could have been fatal.

That generator probably kept my tank fairly stable. I was able to hook up everything, even heaters and lights. So forget the fridge, freezer or computers. That piece of equipment was dedicated to my tank lol's.

Some lessons learned though.
1) I don't have my apex equipment hooked up. So every time we had to shut things down, the 2 cor-20s started at full power and I had to quickly turn them down to 2! Then adjust dial for overflow etc.
2) I have 2 battery backups for the mp40's. Are they plugged in? No, waiting with the apex equipment. They are getting plugged in tonight (now that power is back on) so even if they are not hooked up, they will be charged!

We don't lose power very often but the expense of the generator was more than worth it

So I would recommend anyone with a large system to invest in a generator and a gal of gas on hand (have to store them without the gas). In the rain I had to run out to the gas station so we could fill it all the way.

My office all lit up

20211024_204825.jpg

dark house
20211024_204802.jpg

Gave hubby a light lols
20211024_204846.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good feedback - thanks for sharing! I'm glad that you were able to successfully navigate this challenge!

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh! Power went back out tonight! Poor hubby home while I was at work. He called me in a panic lol's. He got the generator going but didn't know how to turn the return pumps down.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back